"Free-Loaders"

MtbBarbie

I got to the D2D race early on Sunday so I could start near the front of my group, there were a whole load of people from my start group that went into the pen in front of us, then when they told us to move forward to the start there were suddenly plenty riders in front of me :angry:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On saturday I saw this oke in the A batch of the 40km. Bike was a Merida 96. Guy was in tekkies - Nimbus 12 nogal. He was wearing what looked like just lekker normal pants ie. no cycling pants. But he was in batch A. Me thinks the real owner of the bike gave his friend his bike to ride on the day. I also think that should not be allowed. For safety reasons of course. If this guy gets hurt during the race, they will have no idea who he really is.

I really don't see why you would want to freeload a race. You won't get a result so you will have no proof that you even did the race. So what if you beat me - you will still get a DNF and I will move up one place.

In KZN the race announcer repeatedly mentions every time they do the course briefing that if you are caught in the wrong batch you will get a 10 min penalty....it seems to work.

On saturday I saw this oke in the A batch of the 40km. Bike was a Merida 96. Guy was in tekkies - Nimbus 12 nogal. He was wearing what looked like just lekker normal pants ie. no cycling pants. But he was in batch A. Me thinks the real owner of the bike gave his friend his bike to ride on the day. I also think that should not be allowed. For safety reasons of course. If this guy gets hurt during the race, they will have no idea who he really is.

Did you see him ride though, to confirm that he wasn't actually a decent rider? I'm asking because a few weeks ago I did the Lost City road race in takkies and a camelbak. I'm not the most organised person, so I drove the whole way there only to discover I'd left my shoes at home. I was seeded in AL, and I got a lot of funny looks with that number and takkies on, even though I dropped back and did the short race.

Did you see him ride though, to confirm that he wasn't actually a decent rider? I'm asking because a few weeks ago I did the Lost City road race in takkies and a camelbak. I'm not the most organised person, so I drove the whole way there only to discover I'd left my shoes at home. I was seeded in AL, and I got a lot of funny looks with that number and takkies on, even though I dropped back and did the short race.

Well then he left his pants at home too. Plus, the clipless pedals on the bike had those plastic platforms on the other side. He was surely not planning to ride with cycling shoes.

I saw him at the start and never again.

a lot of people burning you for doing this, but i'm with you - i would have done the same thing. all these roadies becoming mtb'ers and being so anal about the rules etc. (bring back carefree mtb'ing of the 1980's!!! (ok i can't really say that as i wasn't born yet)

on another note, i was chatting to an american exchange student and she says its really common place for this to happen over there. races are expensive and everyone turns a blind eye for students to ride (and at runs) without paying. i think she says its know as a "pirate" racer (can't remember exactly, but something like that)

So what you saying is next year i should rock up at Pietermaritzburg wc race and just ride with Burry and them. and hope everyone turns a blind eye

Next time you're lying unconscious because you've had an accident at a race and no one knows who you are because you are not in the system, perhaps you'll be more forgiving of "anal roadies" and their rules?

Thanks for all the feedback... There definitely needs to be a more controlled way of monitoring who goes into start chutes! Must be frustrating for race organisers!

Good point @Morewoodmad - they enjoy the benefits of the water tables at our/organisers expense!

So what you saying is next year i should rock up at Pietermaritzburg wc race and just ride with Burry and them. and hope everyone turns a blind eye

yes i'd love to see that. i'll give you R5.00 if you try that.