"Free-Loaders"

MtbBarbie

not mtbbarbie maybe? and i wouldn't say a couple... it's a pair :blink: :lol:

hehehhe :D

But ja, seriously though, I make a point of looking at people's batch no's when I suspect something is up and 90% of the time these people started in my batch or below, can only shake my head

Solution - Start in A batch. :rolleyes:

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they don't start and finish with the funride, can you really take them off the public roads being used? My assumption is for road. But I get your point.

Yeah, for road this is impossible to police, and pointless to worry about it.

Back to OP topic - it's difficult to monitor a road event as the roads are for public use anyway.

On the dirt you have event stickers that MUST be stuck to helmets or Race numbers - the new PPA numbers have a box in which it says 'for race sticker'. That way you can see if they are entered for the race (although the number is pinned on your back, so no use there if the race is under way).

Marshalls should then check for stickers - no sticker = pull off for entered people to go by.... it is unfair if the un-entered person causes a crash and thereby affects the race of a person who has entered. :thumbdown:

I agree with the sentiments expressed here about not riding if not entered.

I travelled to a mtb event to enter "on the day"...........was not aware that they were not taking entries on the day. It was not as if it was one of the big events, or one of these Nissan events where they expressly said "no entry on the day". Travelled 100 km to the event, presented my moola to pay - "We not taking entries"....I said please - here is my moola - travelled far, can I please enter?? "No entries on the day"..........so, I just rode the event..........wrong/right.........whatever. I wanted to pay. I even said I will donate the entry fee (entry system not open)..refused to take my money.....I rode the event. So - if you want to call me a "freeloader"........so be it.

I actually think the Advendurance series uses the same stickers for all races? Which would make it real easy to just arrive and ride! But I saw one guy with the Yellow Mtn Series sticker on so clearly no one is checking the stickers?

One specific case I saw, was a pro training a newbie during a race? Is that allowed? The pro's number never showed up on results either?

I agree with the sentiments expressed here about not riding if not entered.I travelled to a mtb event to enter "on the day"...........was not aware that they were not taking entries on the day. It was not as if it was one of the big events, or one of these Nissan events where they expressly said "no entry on the day". Travelled 100 km to the event, presented my moola to pay - "We not taking entries"....I said please - here is my moola - travelled far, can I please enter?? "No entries on the day"..........so, I just rode the event..........wrong/right.........whatever. I wanted to pay. I even said I will donate the entry fee (entry system not open)..refused to take my money.....I rode the event. So - if you want to call me a "freeloader"........so be it.

Not cool :thumbdown: , you didnt enter in time, toughies. Next time you will remember. Take your medicine, drive to another venue and do a training ride. Which batch did you start in, or did you sommer decide on the fly. If they catch people that do this, they should enforce a lifetime ban for that person for those events.

I actually think the Advendurance series uses the same stickers for all races? Which would make it real easy to just arrive and ride! But I saw one guy with the Yellow Mtn Series sticker on so clearly no one is checking the stickers?One specific case I saw, was a pro training a newbie during a race? Is that allowed? The pro's number never showed up on results either?

Yes they use the same stickers for all the events, I also saw a couple of the yellow sticker btw.

I witnessed somthing similar at the cape argus mtb challenge. Didnt bother much at the start as there are lots of people who join the argus road race anyways, and after all it is a public road. But at the starting line of the mtb chlallenge all bikes were inspected for numbers which led me to believe that for mtb it is different as after all it is private grounds until this event.

I travelled to a mtb event to enter "on the day"...........was not aware that they were not taking entries on the day. It was not as if it was one of the big events, or one of these Nissan events where they expressly said "no entry on the day". Travelled 100 km to the event, presented my moola to pay - "We not taking entries"....I said please - here is my moola - travelled far, can I please enter?? "No entries on the day"..........so, I just rode the event..........wrong/right.........whatever. I wanted to pay. I even said I will donate the entry fee (entry system not open)..refused to take my money.....I rode the event. So - if you want to call me a "freeloader"........so be it.

Regardless, it doesn't excuse or condone taking that action. It's upto you to confirm the procedure for entering, no one else.

It's easy enough to confirm these things well beforehand before driving to any event. Geez man.

It is your responsibility to call before hand to check if they do line entries , if not then tuff . That’s not cool dude.

Let’s say you crashed and need the medics that are paid by the other riders entries to help you , will you tell them no please leave me to bleed as I did not enter this race…….. don’t think so. its taking advantage of the full system .

Freeloading seemed to be ingrained into our culture. Just look at the offramps. There are always these _____ that skips the queue and push in on the front of it.

Edited by Moridin

Freeloading seemed to be ingrained into our culture. Just look at the offramps. There are always these _____ that skips the queue and push in on the front of it.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :angry: :angry: :angry:

+100% ... Look at main road on the bridge next to Bryanston Bike Park, everyone and their dog chasing up the emergency lane to turn left. Then some cow has the gall to lean on her hooter as I turn left from the actual lane in front of her, what was I thinking eh.

+100% ... Look at main road on the bridge next to Bryanston Bike Park, everyone and their dog chasing up the emergency lane to turn left. Then some cow has the gall to lean on her hooter as I turn left from the actual lane in front of her, what was I thinking eh.

Crazy, I mean seriously dassie...what were you thinking obeying the rules of the road. ;)

It is your responsibility to call before hand to check if they do line entries , if not then tuff . That’s not cool dude.

Let’s say you crashed and need the medics that are paid by the other riders entries to help you , will you tell them no please leave me to bleed as I did not enter this race…….. don’t think so. its taking advantage of the full system .

I fully agree with you, and next time a back marker gets to a water table with only a few flat cokes standing there, think about that arsehole who simply joined the ride.

Even on the road, if you didn't enter the event, stay off the racing route. You will inadvertedly interfere with someone's race and benefit from marshals and road closures along the way. If you didn't want to race, pay your fee and don't wear your timing chip. If you missed the entry cut-off, go gate-crash someone elses party.

a lot of people burning you for doing this, but i'm with you - i would have done the same thing. all these roadies becoming mtb'ers and being so anal about the rules etc. (bring back carefree mtb'ing of the 1980's!!! (ok i can't really say that as i wasn't born yet)

on another note, i was chatting to an american exchange student and she says its really common place for this to happen over there. races are expensive and everyone turns a blind eye for students to ride (and at runs) without paying. i think she says its know as a "pirate" racer (can't remember exactly, but something like that)