WHY now of all times? Why me?

RudoJ

I'm getting sick and tired of being sick all the time. Since the beginning of July, its been 4 times. Just started training last week after anti-biotics. Long ride on Saturday. Woke up this morning with a sore throat, swollen glands on side of throat, the usual sh*t.

Have to go to dr to get checked out. My main worry is that Karoo to Coast is in less than three weeks. I take immunity boosters watch my diet. What more to do?

I really want to do this race. Do I stop completely? Do I just resume training but at very low intensity? What?

Please help a brother here, Hubbers

I'm in the same boat, off to the doctors in an hour, just gone from one bout of flu to the next and I never normally get sick. Suddenly in the last 4 months I've been sick 3 times now, for a week or so at a time. I do all of the above(diet exercise , although I have not been eating to great since my wife left for Cape Town, that with stress and a lot of sick people around me I've had no chance.

Hill2Hill is looking like its not gonna happen now. I'm going to enquire about the Beriglobin that Eldron mentioned, need to try something as this is driving me mad. I was afraid to fall aleep last night cause I thought I might just stop breathing at some stage during the night.

Rudo, it may just be bad luck. Some comments:

1. Diet can be a factor. If you take in less kJs than you need, your immune system takes more pressure.

2. Allergy - if you combine lots of exercise with post nasal drip problems, it develops into something worse. Try taking one Deselex tablet per day for a while.

3. Hard training also affects the immune system. Avoid sick people (lift, cinema, places like that) as far as you can.

+1 - Rudo, you need to take an immune system booster like Viral Choice or other and a multivitamin.

Some very good advice here.

I had the luck (unluck in some ways) to have had lots of flu and other nasty bugs when I was young, up until about 25 years of age. I used to be sick like 3 - 4 times a year. Now it all seemed to just disappear. I am 45 now, and haven't had a bad flu for the past 5 years. Seems like my body has now eventually learned how to fight the buggers.

Diet is key. Take an apple a day in the morning. Helped me a lot, especially when my kids were young. You will get nastys with the kids around. Also remember to drink lots of water. Your body needs the water to fight the bugs.

Maybe also try aiming for a race after Karoo and think of the Karoo as a warm up event. That way, if you find yourself still not well enough to ride / get a good position, it's not a crisis.

Stress will dent your immune system and this would probably help take the pressure off.

Maybe also try aiming for a race after Karoo and think of the Karoo as a warm up event. That way, if you find yourself still not well enough to ride / get a good position, it's not a crisis.

Stress will dent your immune system and this would probably help take the pressure off.

I hate stress :thumbdown:

I think seeker911 and tombeej have offered some pretty sound advice. (and everyone else too of course)

Edited by camerons

I used to get bronchitis every year - a side effect of smoking. My doc put me on vitamins called DS 24 (only from pharmacies) that I take every day. In the last two years, I've been absolutely fine (touch wood). Many people only load with vitamins when they're sick, which is too late and pointless.

Clean your cellphone regularly. It's rated as the highest carrier of germs of everything you own and more than toilet doors, escalator rails, shaking hands ....

I have a difficulty with all these anti-bacterial soaps and things. If you're not exposed to things, you don't build up antibodies. I've read that children with dogs have something like 75% more antibodies than kids without.

Thanks for the responses and positive words Hubbers....although a negative subject to talk about, a very positive discussion! :thumbup:

Spoke to my dr, she also does mtb'ing. Outcome is as follows:

Get a Cortisone Nasal spray (Avamis or something),

Low intensity sessions of between 60 and 70% of HRMax. As I think Tombeej said this will limit loss of fitness, if any.

She also advised me to take something like Linctagon C and continue with my immune booster (Airmune- apparently very good stuff this).

Should then be ok. Anti-biotics not an option. If it comes back so soon after a course, it's viral, then anti-b's dont help.

In addition to this...washing hands religiously, more than an apple a day. I'm armed with all the stuff now. Will give it a go, and will consider taking Beriglobin as last resort.

Come hell or high water, I will still do the K2C. Even if I have to move my original goal (5H30min) to whatever, still going to enjoy it!

Thanks for the responses and positive words Hubbers....although a negative subject to talk about, a very positive discussion! :thumbup:

Low intensity sessions of between 60 and 70% of HRMax. As I think Tombeej said this will limit loss of fitness, if any.

She also advised me to take something like Linctagon C and continue with my immune booster (Airmune- apparently very good stuff this).

Should then be ok. Anti-biotics not an option. If it comes back so soon after a course, it's viral, then anti-b's dont help.

In addition to this...washing hands religiously, more than an apple a day. I'm armed with all the stuff now. Will give it a go, and will consider taking Beriglobin as last resort.

Come hell or high water, I will still do the K2C. Even if I have to move my original goal (5H30min) to whatever, still going to enjoy it!

thumbup1.gif

Didnt have time to read all the replies so not sure if this has been mentioned....

Do you still have your tonsils?

When I was living and training in JNB I had similar problems over a couple of years, eventualy my Doc decided to remove my tonsils.... Made a huge difference in that my "throat infection" rate decreased substantialy from being a regular visitor to that of a once a year visitor to the Docter.

Didnt have time to read all the replies so not sure if this has been mentioned....

Do you still have your tonsils?

When I was living and training in JNB I had similar problems over a couple of years, eventualy my Doc decided to remove my tonsils.... Made a huge difference in that my "throat infection" rate decreased substantialy from being a regular visitor to that of a once a year visitor to the Docter.

Yes I do.....but shite scared of the operation to remove...but then at least I will have a good excuse to give myself over to icecream for a while....

I was in the same boat a few years ago. Had to close my business down due to unforseen circumstances and have not worked full time since. Don't even remember the way to the Doc's rooms. Happy as the proverbial pig. (Wife getting a bit cheesed off though!) As others have said - stress plays a big part.

Just got back from the Doc, got bronchitis(great stuff) So got a bottle of anti-biotics to swig in one go, and cortisone, nasal spray. Spoke to him about the Beriglobin, he says it may work for some not for others and that it is a very short term solution for the cost (R525). You would need to be checked up properly(blood tests) before taking it. It's basically anti-bodies taken from different people,so because of this it could bring on a whole host of other allergies.

I'm not allowed to train for a week :(

Edited by Caerus