Roof mounted bicycle carrier - advice needed

flashsa

Thanks all - the risk of driving into my carport with the bike on is a huge risk - especially if tired after a long ride!

Also 130km/h speed limit is not going to work down to Argus (am in EL)!

@caad4 - yes, PUG's have a bad rep BUT: I bought my 3008 as a 2 month old demo and saved 50k off the sticker price so that will help with depreciation. I have always driven Ford - but spec-wise, this 3008 knocks most other cars out the park on price plus the 1.6T engine is a beaut (from mini cooper s, detuned). Plus the dealer I use has 2 family members in senior positions, so I am assured of great service and backup.

Looks like detachable towbar it is....

Ever heard the saying " out of sight, out of mind"?

I know 2 people who have driven into the garage with the bike on the roof :o

I did some routes near PE with some buddies a while ago. We went to i think KFC after a lekker ride. Buddy had his mtb on roof. Forgot about the bikes and by the time I hooted behind him , he alread crashed into the hight barrier / marker thingy.

He didn't think it was funny . . .

Sorry Shawn . . . :blush:

I had the Thule roof system "transferred" from my Jeep to my Audi A4 Avant in December by an authorised Thule dealer. Long story short - the roof rail bracket failed as I was going to Eselfontein for a week of mountain biking heaven. Thule said that they'll get back to me when I took the failed parts back. Replaced the roof system with a tow bar system free of charge. They did say that they have never seen this happen before, but I'm not taking chances again.

Its not to say that the tow bar system will not fail either, but if someone was travelling behind me when my roof rack and 2 bikes went flying, someone could have gotten seriously injured.

And I was not speeding (this time) - I was doing about 100km/h (had to submit my tracker files to insurance as backup when I claimed for the damages to bike and car)

Don't stress dude. Don't bother with the rack, you'll be back in the trokkie before you have time to put the bikes on the roof... ;)

Put on an after sales towbar at Towbar SA in Durban costs me R 1500 without electrics and got a two bike carrier Holdfast for R 999 no regrets !! :thumbup:

Put on an after sales towbar at Towbar SA in Durban costs me R 1500 without electrics and got a two bike carrier Holdfast for R 999 no regrets !! :thumbup:

According to several fitment centre's here - there is no aftermarket tobar available for the 3008 :(

According to several fitment centre's here - there is no aftermarket tobar available for the 3008 :(

Pity you are in Slummies... I am sure Steelite in Jhb would make one to fit. They did for my French car when I used to drive one....