Hill 2 Hill

massiveboy

Hey boys, how hard was that thing. New track coming down into PMB was lekker, just made it longer though. There were boys taking punishment all over the course near the end, and the dreaded cramp monster was biting everyone, me included. Good day out but proper hard. Be interesting to see how many ous didn't make it.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 105km was a tough race yesterday.

My bike computer showed the temp at 44 at one stage!

Many people i have spoken to say they wont be doing it again because of the heat.

It's a pitty because it is a nice route.

To say you not going to do it again "because of the heat" is a bit unfair on the race.... look at the weather today?? very cool,,,, and saturday wether would have been perfect racing weather.. mid 20's and no wind...

Anyway.... that race is one of those physical and mental challenges you need to do every year to keep you honost!!!

To say you not going to do it again "because of the heat" is a bit unfair on the race.... look at the weather today?? very cool,,,, and saturday wether would have been perfect racing weather.. mid 20's and no wind...

Anyway.... that race is one of those physical and mental challenges you need to do every year to keep you honost!!!

Can't agree with you more!

Looking forward to next year!

agreed - but two years in a row of intense heat is giving it a bit of a rep! Luckily i prepared for that this year and was able to push through - still knackered though!

There were okes lying in the shade with literally 2km's to go - unable to move!

Also enjoyed the new bit down by the river, but they needed a marshall by the school as apparently a whole heap of people just went straight down the road and missed out that section completely.

And as for the tjop in the marshalls kit who walked across all those switchbacks near the end - you can't tell your mates you finished the race! :thumbdown:

Long, hard day out there yesterday. The heat definitely made things worse - I ran out of water 10km's out and was dehydrated like crazy!

Thanks must go out to the two guys that helped me out on the route - one sponsored me some cramp block on Bartletts and the other gave up some of his water in Shongweni to see me through. Without that I don't know if I would have made it!

Route was awesome up til the Ark and then things stopped being fun :) Definitely going to have to go back and try those switchbacks from Summerveld again, but this time without the cramp!

Long, hard day out there yesterday. The heat definitely made things worse - I ran out of water 10km's out and was dehydrated like crazy!

Thanks must go out to the two guys that helped me out on the route - one sponsored me some cramp block on Bartletts and the other gave up some of his water in Shongweni to see me through. Without that I don't know if I would have made it!

Route was awesome up til the Ark and then things stopped being fun :) Definitely going to have to go back and try those switchbacks from Summerveld again, but this time without the cramp!

couldnt agree with you more, ended up having to take those switchbacks with far too much caution and slowly due to coping with the cramp in both legs!! would be keen to join going through them again :thumbup:

Well done for hanging in bru. Don't think there were many guys riding down those switchbacks without cramp and pain. I cramped in both legs on the sinlge track section after those switchbacks, couldn't move at all. Hurts like hell but part of a race like that. Def no kiddies picnic. Can wear your blue shirt now :clap:

Can wear your blue shirt now :clap:

no i cant :( - cos all they had left when i got there was XL. perhaps with a bit of washing and tumble drying.......

no i cant :( - cos all they had left when i got there was XL. perhaps with a bit of washing and tumble drying.......

Hahahah - the H2h shirts are a bit of a joke. Normally their cuts are huge so they end up looking like pyjamas. This year I was going to go down a size so I got to registration at 12:45 and was surprised to find out they only had L and up. Normally wear a medium so there was no point really so I ended up getting the wife a nice blue shirt.

On a side note, they were also selling the black shirts outside, but they also didn't have medium's. Guess I wasn't meant to have the shirt :)

i look like im swimming in my large as well.. all they had left and i got there early, maybe there werent any mediums to start off with :angry: or only very few.

Normally wear a medium

yep - my previous hill2hill shirts are all medium - so XL is quite a jump. Dont get how they get it wrong - its simple - Take last years entry file and use that range from the shirt sizes captured in the database.

other than that - on the route the marking were clear and the water tables were excellent (although it would have been nice to have a flavoured drink that does not have a fizzzz). I made full use of the water taps and doused myself completely at each of the tables

yep - my previous hill2hill shirts are all medium - so XL is quite a jump. Dont get how they get it wrong - its simple - Take last years entry file and use that range from the shirt sizes captured in the database.

other than that - on the route the marking were clear and the water tables were excellent (although it would have been nice to have a flavoured drink that does not have a fizzzz). I made full use of the water taps and doused myself completely at each of the tables

Yip - I think Jeep reckons we're all a bunch of fatties unlike those skinny roadie guys :)

As for the water tables - hear hear! Those irrigation-thingies were a life saver. It was the only way I could bring my temperature down!!

Have to say I have done a lot of extreme endurance rides but that was hell -- didnt get my goal time but at leased I finished body and mind intact. Cramps is another story fely like I had been attacked by a shark 60 ks in!!!!