Hill 2 Hill

massiveboy

That was some of the best scenery in the country, fantastic single track but i must say the last 20kms was a severe test of character and endurance...do not enter into this race if not 100% prepared!

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what a fantastic race!tough as hell but beautiful scenery and really fun single track.a few things i think the organisrs could look at:

1.why do they put the ladies in a batch of their own near the front of the race?my wife and two of my female friends agree with me in saying that they should be batched like everyone else according to their times.I mean no disrepect to the women but a lot of them were holding the guys up in the first few kays of single track and later in the race as well.Which brings me to my second point'

2.maybe put a few hills in the first ten or so kays to spread everyone out a bit more?to be fair you do drop quite fast from the start,but at one stage there was a long queue of people walking on some really nice,fun,easily rideable singletrack.

other than that this is one race that i will do my damndest to be at every year and the fun i had far outweighs the small gripes i have listed.

BIG thank you to the organisers for such a good event.did i mention the watertables?wors rolls at cato ridge were heavenly when all you have had to chow is sweet bars and stuff. :clap:

cant wait for next year!

The 105km was a tough race yesterday.

My bike computer showed the temp at 44 at one stage!

Many people i have spoken to say they wont be doing it again because of the heat.

It's a pitty because it is a nice route.

Hi Ranga, good to meet you out on the route - it was a tough one - thanks for your help and encouragement which got me to get the end!

I will definitely make sure I am better prepared for the heat for next year - a lot of very long training rides in the heat of the day will be on the menu for next year - which means it will probably rain and be freezing cold.

I think a lot of us could have used an extra waterpoint before the finish - I have never seen so many people dropping by the side of a trail before - I had to have 2 litres of ringers lactate (drip) afterwards - at that stage the medics (huge thanks to these incredible people) told me they had already used 14 litres. Apparently a few people even ended up in hospital.

I must admit that as the pain fades, the memories get fonder. I've already gone from "fork I'll never do that race again!" to "Can't wait for next year!".

Great test of physical and mental stamina.

Hi Ranga, good to meet you out on the route - it was a tough one - thanks for your help and encouragement which got me to get the end!

I will definitely make sure I am better prepared for the heat for next year - a lot of very long training rides in the heat of the day will be on the menu for next year - which means it will probably rain and be freezing cold.

I think a lot of us could have used an extra waterpoint before the finish - I have never seen so many people dropping by the side of a trail before - I had to have 2 litres of ringers lactate (drip) afterwards - at that stage the medics (huge thanks to these incredible people) told me they had already used 14 litres. Apparently a few people even ended up in hospital.

Hi Andrew

Only a pleasure. It is great to meet fellow hubbers on route.

Sorry to hear you ended up in the medic tent. Glad you made it though.

A huge thanks must go to the medics as you say, as well all those who helped at the water tables and the marshals.

I have never been so happy to see water tables in a race before, they were life savers.

Keep well!

Sorry to hear that - that blows

It could have been disaster if I had ridden & driven there( and you had taken that lift I offered), as I woke early Sunday to come watch the race, only to find my car was broken down. :rolleyes:

It could have been disaster if I had ridden & driven there( and you had taken that lift I offered), as I woke early Sunday to come watch the race, only to find my car was broken down. :rolleyes:

That would not have been good Sorry about the run of bad luck - you were really not meant to ride on sunday!

Hi Guys

completed my first Hill to Hill to Hill :lol:

Must say it was very daunting !!

didnt take in enough water and started cramping at about the 23kms mark !! :o

It was damn hot out there as well.

Made it too the arc and looked up at the climb at key ridge and asked myself what on earth did i get into ??? :(

Walked up most of the hills from here on as i had no strenght in the legs lack of training and insufficient water in take !! :drool:

Completed the race none the less at about 5hrs 32mins.

Next year will definitely be better prepared !!

Ps Thanks once again to the 2 trail runners in the New Balance gear for picking up my phone after it made a remarkable escape from my saddle bag :clap: :thumbup:

Thanks to all the riders to stopped to ask if i needed assistance as they passed me by.

Hats off to some of the 105km riders u guys gave it horns !!! :)

I must admit that as the pain fades, the memories get fonder. I've already gone from "fork I'll never do that race again!" to "Can't wait for next year!".

Great test of physical and mental stamina.

Totally agree, thinking back I had a great time out there... the Ark was a really good test at the end! Man I was hurting all the way home from then on.

Had to laugh at a guy on his 29er struggling all the way down the switch backs at the end, go 26ers!!!

Completed the race none the less at about 5hrs 32mins.

and you still did it in that time!

i did that mistake last year. This year had double the fluid intake and cooled myself down with water over the head at every opportunity. Enjoyed it much more this year - although I recall after coming out from that low level tunnel, I stopped and drank and then sighed. The spectators had a good chuckle.

I dont think an extra watertable is needed. If anything - maybe a half table (i.e just fluids no spray down or grub) by the sub-station at the top of key ridge - an only on hot days.

For those of you that make use of the sa-active website to get Discovery points, I've got the 102km added to the website so you can claim your points now.

For those of you that make use of the sa-active website to get Discovery points, I've got the 102km added to the website so you can claim your points now.

can you just put roag down as the website to check results at? well i did - hope it works :) thanks for the post or i wouldnt have known to claim :thumbup:

can you just put roag down as the website to check results at? well i did - hope it works :) thanks for the post or i wouldnt have known to claim :thumbup:

Cool man. I put down the MrP website, but I'm sure they'll work it out :)