IM70.3 SA

gadget

• Replies 411
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guarantee you it will be a wetsuit swim. If not our climate is seriously screwed up!!!

I know you can wear a wetsuit up to 28.8 deg C, but I'm asking, what are the chances of the water being over 24.5 deg C, where wetsuits are only allowed if you are not competing for awards or slots?

From IMSA tweet:

"Weather Guru says: 21-25kph SW, 24 degrees max temp, low cloud cover and humid. Sea temp 22 degrees at present."

This is my first 70.3.

Question to the panel: If I want to do a 2:50 bike, what half way split should I look to hit by the 45km mark?

Obviously wind can have a big influence, but would a 1:45 at the turn around and 1:05 back be a well paced split?

This is my first 70.3.

Question to the panel: If I want to do a 2:50 bike, what half way split should I look to hit by the 45km mark?

Obviously wind can have a big influence, but would a 1:45 at the turn around and 1:05 back be a well paced split?

It's hard to make it back in 1h05. If the wind is behind you up the hill try for close to even splits. If it is a headwind out, then like a 1h38 / 1h12.

Remember, it's ALL about the run. Every 1 minute too hard on the bike, costs you 3 on the run.

Hey DC Demon Sean

Your split is too far out. They are not that different. You should do a 1h35 out easily but then you will have to work hard for a 1h15 on the way back.

Don't forget to leave some juice for the little bastard hill that surprises as you get off the freeway on the way back.

You obviously feeling strong, has the training been going well?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by davem

Hey Davey boy...I've been reading your words of wisdom on this thread :D

Training has been good. This day must just come now.

Seems like I'm underestimating the return of the ride. Thanks for the advice regarding splits.

How you feeling Dave? We must meet up there and chat.

I just went to a talk that Paul Kaye hosted in Cape Town, and was thrilled to hear that you get given bottles ON THE GO at the 45km station :clap: ...awesome, now I don't need to carry all that water up hill like a cheap slave.

THE FINAL FEW DAYS TO 70.3 - MENTAL PREPARATION

Each and every Ironman participant is going through his or her own motions and thoughts these final few days before the big race day. The training has been done, the nutrition has been planned and the equipment is all ready. The only thing left is to ensure you get to race day now physically and emotionally prepared.

We have spoken on the type of nutrition you should be taking in this week, to ensure that your energy levels and immune system are in top shape, if you missed it go back to the 32Gi facebook site and read it.

In this little piece we are going to focus on mental preparation for the event. Whether you are a professional athlete and seasoned IM participant or a first timer, pre-race nerves are not something new. We all experience them in some way or another. One of the things that we have learned over the years is that they can be reduced significantly to the extent that you will look forward to and actually enjoy the event without the worry and the fuss that comes along with it.

The first coping mechanism in looking forward to the event is without a doubt preparation. Picture everything you require for the event and ensure that you have it completely sorted out way in advance. I generally draw up a check list on paper just to ensure I have not missed anything as sometimes the mind can be forgetful and last minute panic is not something you want. A few years ago I participated in an international half Ironman. When I landed I realised that I had left my bike tools behind in South Africa and had to find someone to help re-assemble my bike. Sure that was easy enough, but it was a little nagging worry that had to be taken care of. To top it all off, I never read the race rules to the full extent and was unaware that transition zone placings were already defined according to race number. So I just found what I thought was the best spot. On race day when I came into transition to prepare, I could not find my bike. After frantic panic I eventually found it, but my helmet was missing and we all know very well no helmet = no ride. It took me over 25minutes of pure stomach agony and mental pain before I found it. Total unnecessary torture if only I had listened to the race director and actually went properly through the motions of understanding the complete event organization.

The check list I put together is a list of questions which I ask myself and then I ensure I know the answers to those questions.

What do I need to do a triathlon?

Yes so simple, but go through the motions and picture what you will need for each discipline and in between to ensure you have not missed anything.

Firstly I need to swim and I have specific needs for that

- Tri Suite :-)

- Goggles

- Swim Cap (if not provided, but I always carry in case)

- Wetsuit

Next is transition and you need to picture what you will be doing when you come into transition zone, below is a simple table which I use for transition.

- Towel - Always need to have one in transition to stand on and dry my feet

- Nutrition - I always keep 2-3 bottles in transition in endurance events 1 with ice water 1 with ice energy drink and the other with plain water, I also keep a few packets of energy chews. This is not only for post race leg, but also in the time before the race begins I sometimes like to sip or eat to keep my energy levels up. During the race I go with how I feel when I exit the water. Sometimes none of these are needed but might be needed later for the run which is why I have them frozen. After a sea swim a mouth rinse with water is not a bad idea since it becomes dry sometimes with all the swallowed salt ;-).

- Sun Block - Yes very important I leave a patch actually on a piece of plastic so its easy to just grab and smear around those areas that are going to be exposed to the sun, your health comes first.

The first transition is to the bike, and for this I ensure that the following is prepared:

- Race Belt - some race enforce race belts with race numbers attached. I always see people before events begging to buy and sometimes stocks go quickly so ensure you have one before. Some of us swim with it tucked under our wetsuits.

- Elastic Bands - To support the cycling shoes when cleated into the pedals to ensure a fast transition

- Helmet

- Riding Glasses (some people don't like wearing glasses but if you have ever ridden and had a little object flying into your eye you will definitely think again, they are not there to look pretty)

- Shoes of course ;-)

- Socks (if you like riding with them, I prefer without and keep them for the run)

- Puncture Kit & Tools - Nothing worse than getting a puncture or mechanical issue in a race, but it can happen and you should be prepared for it.

- Nutrition on the Bike - I always carry at least 2 bottles of an energy drink and my main feed comes from an Aero bottle in the front, some people worry about weight, I don't think its an issue and rather be safe than sorry. If its a cold day and you are sure you will not need the extra bottle then leave it behind, if its going to be hot don't take a chance.

What about food sources potatoes, bananas, energy chew or bars. Whatever your prepared race nutrition plan is, ensure you have stacked it on the bike. I use a top tube bag to carry my nutrition and I find it convenient to access at anytime. Feeding yourself consistently on the bike leg and ensuring your energy levels are kept topped up for the run are actually key to a good performance, so don't neglect this.

Next on to the Run, and you need to know in your mind what you are wanting to do.

Again the following is key in transition

- Running Shoes

- Hat

- Socks

- Sun Block

- Nutrition - Sometimes I start my run with one of my bottles in the 1st kilometer or so to hydrate slightly, however it really all depends on how I feel when I come off bike, sometimes its not required and I will just consume from the water tables on route. Plan this in your head have both options so that at least if you are needing it, its in your control to take it as needed.

Ensure all your nutrition requirements for the day for all disciplines and for transition are packed and ready.

If you can pack all your items days before the event, it takes a load off your shoulders and actually will make you feel at ease. It also gives you time to re-think everything and ensure you have not missed something out.

Visualize your race in your head, picture each discipline and each transition to mentally prepare yourself for the event. It will help you stay focused and calm if you are mentally prepared.

Once you arrive at the actual race its always good to go through the visual of the race, take the time to view the course. I always take a walk to the swim start and picture it, I then walk to transition zone to familiarize myself with the swim to bike entry and then I walk to bike exit. Again I take the walk from bike entry to run exit. I just want to know in my mind that I know where I am going I like to be in control of my own race as much as possible and I don't want there to be any doubts on the day.

Swimming the course if you are there early enough is also a great way to mentally relax and prepare, it gives you an idea of what to expect on race day so no surprises and it can make it that much more enjoyable. Read the race guide, and listen to the pre-race information given as it is all valuable.

Certain foods can make you feel more anxious before the event, and I would avoid stimulants such as too much caffeine, sugar or alcohol it can add to your nerves without realizing it. Its also not a good idea from a physical energy point of view to consume these food types before the event.

The next thing is to remove all expectations for the race. Don't expect and don't set yourself goals that you have to complete in a certain time. The best performing race days are those where you go out, with no expectations, have fun and just do the best you can while listening to your body. Remember its not about the others, its about you, you set your boundaries you don't need to beat them, you need to beat you and the only way to do that is to be comfortable within yourself physically and mentally come race day.

Something I like to do while doing the race walk through and preparing is I listen to some really relaxing music, for some it might be trance for others opera but whatever your taste music is a brilliant friend to keep the mind at ease.

If the pre-race nerves are really getting to you pop a Biral its a natural relaxant and it works very well. If you have prepared properly for this event there will be absolutely no need :-), go out enjoy, have fun and soak up the atmosphere.

The one aspect of the event we have not spoken about is what you are going to be eating the 48 hours before the event, the day before night before and morning of the event. We will be discussing this in our next 70.3 tip. So stay tuned for more

All the Best

The 32Gi Team

info@32gi.com

Hey DC Demon Sean

Your split is too far out. They are not that different. You should do a 1h35 out easily but then you will have to work hard for a 1h15 on the way back.

Don't forget to leave some juice for the little bastard hill that surprises as you get off the freeway on the way back.

You obviously feeling strong, has the training been going well?

Cheers

Dave

Last year I did a 1h54 our and a 1h14 back

Thats 40mins quicker.

Hoping for the same this year, maybe 10 minutes off the total bike split.

In the end it all comes down to the good old run.

Do you live in EL? What is the current sea temp?

Not currently but i grew up there and most of my family still lives there and was a pro lifeguard for nearly 5yrs and did 100's of temp test all different beaches and for the water to stay that high for over a week would be an abnomily. Most northly winds bring berg winds and can raise sea temps but these are not the prevailing winds and such i think things will be back to normal. Also the sea temp quoted might be surface but when temps are taken they normally drop the meter into water and it sinks so the water temp reading is taken from at least a meter or two deep which as you know will be slightly lower. so .... R1000?

Just to provide some clarity for you all, IMSA posted this though it might calm you all down :-)

IRONMAN South Africa

We're getting a lot of queries about wetsuits for this Sunday. For WTC races, the rule is if the water temp reaches 24.5 degrees or above, then there will be no wetsuits. For ITU races, the water temp for no wetsuits is 22 degrees. Ironman 70.3 is a WTC race.

I will be looking at a 02h15 out and 35 min back split

Dinner on me if you pull that one off

:)

I will be looking at a 02h15 out and 35 min back split

Come on if you can push a bit harder you can get the avg speed in up to 80km/h

Come on if you can push a bit harder you can get the avg speed in up to 80km/h

Dont be silly. If I really go hard I can get to 65km but 80 is a joke.