Low gear vs higher gear for beginners

Azi

Should a beginner use their lower (easier) gears as much as possible and build up a higher cadence in addition to making things easier for them, or should they be encouraged to use higher (more difficult) gears as much as possible and build strength? An argument put forward is that a cyclist uses similar amounts of energy whether using lower or higher gears, but would gain more speed with the higher gears. I disagree. My question is for a roadie beginner, but I am sure it applies to mtb's as well.

Whats your take on this - lower or higher gears, and why? Would your answer be different for an experienced cyclist?

Also, how best to demonstrate to a beginner that he/she is in an appropriate gear(the person doesn't have a candence sensor/counter) other than saying it feels right?

Really all up to you. I would say higher cadence as it's better for your body.

If you feel comfortable in x gear combination then leave it there. If in doubt ask a cyclist around you while out training.

In the end you will learn what your body likes/feels more comfortable with, for me lower cadence but not too low as it puts lots of strain on your body grinding away slowly.

Generally new riders ride at a too low cadence. Ride at the correct cadence and you will improve and learn to ride more efficiently and for longer. This will allow you to ride with faster groups.

An argument put forward is that a cyclist uses similar amounts of energy whether using lower or higher gears, but would gain more speed with the higher gears.

The argument I've always heard given is that you use the same amount of energy, regardless of gear, when you're going at the same speed (power). There is a direct relationship between the inputs (pedal force and cadence) and the output (power, leading to speed). All that changing gear does is modify the ratio of force to cadence - higher cadence = lower force, lower cadence = higher force.

It can feel like it's harder to ride at a given speed when in an easy gear if you're not used to it, but the actual efforts are the same. You also need to focus more on keeping the cadence up.

For an absolute beginner, I'd just get them used to riding and finding out what feels good for them. Only later start working on proper cadence etc.

Generally new riders ride at a too low cadence. Ride at the correct cadence and you will improve and learn to ride more efficiently and for longer. This will allow you to ride with faster groups.

What is an accepted cadence?

What is an accepted cadence?

Zula, this is a much debated topic - I will go fetch the monday morning popcorn.

I try keep the cadence at about 80 - 90 as that is where I feel the most comfortable. The Mrs prefers 70 - 80.

Should a beginner use their lower (easier) gears as much as possible and build up a higher cadence in addition to making things easier for them, or should they be encouraged to use higher (more difficult) gears as much as possible and build strength? An argument put forward is that a cyclist uses similar amounts of energy whether using lower or higher gears, but would gain more speed with the higher gears. I disagree. My question is for a roadie beginner, but I am sure it applies to mtb's as well.

Whats your take on this - lower or higher gears, and why? Would your answer be different for an experienced cyclist?

Also, how best to demonstrate to a beginner that he/she is in an appropriate gear(the person doesn't have a candence sensor/counter) other than saying it feels right?

Only really started riding road with a purpose 2 years ago.

My advice would be to not worry about cadence and ride at a pace where you can feel your legs are turning over with a goal. As soon as the road turns skywards you will have no other option but to get the legs working harder. (you will quickly run out of gearing options). Just breathe and pump your legs at a steady pace.

I'm not a strong rider, so I try to add climbs on every ride, this in turn has slowly made my legs stronger - therefore improving power and cadence.

I am not genetically blessed with powerful legs, so it has been a tough slow progression. Guys/Gals we ride with, that started riding recently are already stronger. (Genetics are a serious bugga!)

Another good idea is riding with good riders. 90% of my riding partners are MUCH stronger than me, so forces me to work harder.

Edited by Chubba

Rather pedal faster, in a lighter gear. Power comes with speed as you train.. Injuries come with pedaling at a high force and undeveloped muscles.

Edited by Mercx

My Favourite rule of thumb is :

Find a gearing ratio where u feel your legs working the go down a gear.... Usually works for me....

I think it's up to the rider to make the final decision. I personally started off with the lower/easier gears and gradually moved up to higher/harder gears. Sometimes your legs just don't feel as good as they did on the previous ride, so the rider may want to use easier gears than last time. Lower gears are easier to maintain, but higher gears do generate more speed. I'd recommend lower gears to build up cadence, but it is personal preference.

My Favourite rule of thumb is :

Find a gear ratio where u feel your legs working, then go down a gear.... Usually works for me....

+1 That is what I do almost automatically on long endurance rides and it works - should be good advice for beginners.

Edited by DJR

After a long lay-off (for a few years) I found that, while I love the big ring, I ended up with knee and ITB pain. I dropped down to the small ring (42/15 - 18 on the 6-speed; 39/13 - 16 on the 8 and 10-speed bikes) for most rides. It took a while to lose the pain, but it's better now. So I'd start with easy spins to avoid damage, but trying to go a little harder or stronger with time. I've gradually worked back to the big ring just 'cos I like it, but I can't say it makes me faster. Neither can my results.

It is said that it takes a while for your body to adapt to cycling. The key thing when you start is to ride, is to build endurance. This means riding at a comfortable gear, which suits you.

Once you have done your base milage training, then you can focus on speed and/or power training. These elements form a triangle, with the base training at the bottom.

So the short answer is: cycle the base milage first, at a pace and gear that is comfortable for you, and keeps you interested in cycling. Going too hard when you start cycling can be very de-motivating.

Once you are comfortable with a base milage that is suitable for the type of races you wish to enter, then you can focus on high cadence and/or high power training. Both cadence and power comes with training. It will be silly to chase power and cadence, when you are new to cycling. Your body still needs to adapt to the stress of cycling.

Experienced cyclists will often train at an easy pace on lsd ( long steady distance), and mix that up with hill repeats / interval sprint type training when preparing for races, so that they build a strong triangle (endurance/power/cadence) to draw from during a race.

Another good idea is riding with good riders. 90% of my riding partners are MUCH stronger than me, so forces me to work harder.

Ill take that as a compliment then :lol: