Looking after bib shorts

pauloc

Bought three sets of bibs from the dude at First Ascent about 4 yrs ago because he said 'don't sweat, chuck 'em in the washing machine with everything else'.

As I don't do the washing, you better believe they get chucked in with everything else and get softened too. Four yrs later they're still as good as new (apart from sundry holes from me bouncing along the ground).

The chamois' are not plush, but are more comfortable than the plusher ones that I have.

Seriously, if I've got to start being concerned about how to handle bibs after getting off after a ride...!? Hand wash!? You got to be kidding.

In that case, stay away from Assos. They apparently recommend handwash AND they recommend their own washing powder / liquid!!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case, stay away from Assos. They apparently recommend handwash AND they recommend their own washing powder / liquid!!

Man, obviously I just don't have what it takes to do 'cool'.

Surely something so complicated (and expensive) should come with a motorplan? Free washes and blowdry for the first 5 years or something?

Seriously, if I've got to start being concerned about how to handle bibs after getting off after a ride

Yeah, that's the day I sell all my two wheeled conveyances, and take up golf.

Not really. They give you a little mesh bag to stick your shorts in when they go in the washing machine. They also say wash and 30°C and no fabric softener.

Jees. All this fuss over a washing cycle. Damn.

Mine go in with everything else, on a cold wash (hot water isn't hooked up to the washer) and with or without softener, sometimes Vanish liquid / powder, sometimes nothing else but other sports kit. Couldn't be fussed, really. And apparently, neither could the bibs!

Jees. All this fuss over a washing cycle. Damn.

Mine go in with everything else, on a cold wash (hot water isn't hooked up to the washer) and with or without softener, sometimes Vanish liquid / powder, sometimes nothing else but other sports kit. Couldn't be fussed, really. And apparently, neither could the bibs!

Snap!

Although I recently had a water leak under the concrete in the courtyard, so when I re laid the pipes, I hooked a hot water supply into the laundry. But it was a cutoff at the source which is always closed.

If you want your shorts or bibshorts to last longer, then try and follow the washing instructions which should be attached to the inside of almost all imported garments. Not sure about the locally produced garments as I've never had the pleasure of buying local. Hot water (40+ deg), machine washing. fabric softner and tumble drying will eventually cause the garment to self destruct, so you have been warned. Oh and by the way, bibshorts are like carbon frames or cars, they are not meant to last forever. They do require lots of TLC.

Snap!

Although I recently had a water leak under the concrete in the courtyard, so when I re laid the pipes, I hooked a hot water supply into the laundry. But it was a cutoff at the source which is always closed.

Perfect. You'd be surprized how home-buyers assume that the lack of a hot water output near the washer is a bad thing...

Erm - really?

Switch off mains water. Get a split pipe section of copper pipe. Insert into section of existing hot line to the local sink (almost ALWAYS there at the same place as the washer) Run line to washing machine. End in hot water tap. Turn on mains. Keep all other taps but new one off. Let air exit the system.

Et Voila. Won't cost more than R 500, unless you need to run a 10m section of pipe (unlikely) or you want a Hans Grohe tap for your Washing Machine outlet.

If you want your shorts or bibshorts to last longer, then try and follow the washing instructions which should be attached to the inside of almost all imported garments. Not sure about the locally produced garments as I've never had the pleasure of buying local. Hot water (40+ deg), machine washing. fabric softner and tumble drying will eventually cause the garment to self destruct, so you have been warned. Oh and by the way, bibshorts are like carbon frames or cars, they are not meant to last forever. They do require lots of TLC.

Erm - surely you don't want them to last forever and ever? I'd be perfectly happy with replacing them every couple of years or so...

10 year old bibs? Manky.

Erm - surely you don't want them to last forever and ever? I'd be perfectly happy with replacing them every couple of years or so...

10 year old bibs? Manky.

You will be supised just how many cyclist use bibs that are long past their "sell by date" <_<

Assos recommend hand washing, but they provide you with a net for washing in the washing machine.

Mine all go in the washing machine.

However, my most recent and most expensive pair of assos shorts, I got their special washing liquid and it makes the shorts smell so nice.

Also, avoid direct sunlight for drying.

It damages the chamois.

Rather in a drafty area out of sunlight...

:)

You will be supised just how many cyclist use bibs that are long past their "sell by date" <_<

Ja these are the guys that "wink" at you when they stand up!

Also, avoid direct sunlight for drying.

It damages the chamois.

Rather in a drafty area out of sunlight...

:)

Chop.

Just turn them the right way round and hang em on the line.

"the line" for you soft, molly-coddled, pretentious types, is the bit of string on a metal framework in the backyard that your mom and granny used before you bought a tumble drier.