Ultegra 6700 STI rattles

Jensie

Hi.

I have a new Ultegra groupset 6700 and the STI's started to rattle on rough roads.

Does anyone have experienced the same and do you mabe have a remedy for the problem.https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Thanks

I had the same problem on my 7900 shifters. At the 94.7 expo, I approached the shimano guys and they confirmed that they do rattle. At the Jock, I asked one of the pro teams the same and they said theirs run quit. Don't know how true this is and whether there is a cure. Maybe try and google the issue. That is one of the reasons I moved over to campy and I am very happy.

I had the same problem on my 7900 shifters. At the 94.7 expo, I approached the shimano guys and they confirmed that they do rattle. At the Jock, I asked one of the pro teams the same and they said theirs run quit. Don't know how true this is and whether there is a cure. Maybe try and google the issue. That is one of the reasons I moved over to campy and I am very happy.

Thank you

Hi.

I have a new Ultegra groupset 6700 and the STI's started to rattle on rough roads.

Does anyone have experienced the same and do you mabe have a remedy for the problem.https://cdn.bikehub.co.za/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Thanks

Are you 100% sure its from the STI? It could be a cable on your frame vibrating.

I havent had any issues with my STI's, but I can imagine it be extremely frustrating.

I used to have the same issue with Dura-Ace STI's. The STI cover plate is the usual cause of the rattle, as it doesn't fit as snug as it should onto the STI mechanism. Take the STI cover plate off (with the brake lever depressed you will see that the cover plate is held in place by a small screw - sometimes it's the screw that's simply loose causing the rattle). Put a thin layer of silicone sealer on the inside of the cover plate and let it dry. Replace the cover plate and the rattle should be gone. You could also try some layered pieces of insulation tape instead of the silicone sealer.

I used to have the same issue with Dura-Ace STI's. The STI cover plate is the usual cause of the rattle, as it doesn't fit as snug as it should onto the STI mechanism. Take the STI cover plate off (with the brake lever depressed you will see that the cover plate is held in place by a small screw - sometimes it's the screw that's simply loose causing the rattle). Put a thin layer of silicone sealer on the inside of the cover plate and let it dry. Replace the cover plate and the rattle should be gone. You could also try some layered pieces of insulation tape instead of the silicone sealer.

Thanks I will try that.

Are you 100% sure its from the STI? It could be a cable on your frame vibrating.

I havent had any issues with my STI's, but I can imagine it be extremely frustrating.

As soon as I put my hands around the STI's the noise is gone.When riding on top of the bars the noise is there. The STI's is almost 3 months old. The problem stays on the STI's.

Thanks anyway

The 7900 DA and 6700 Ultegra Levers come with a reach adjust screw that is located behind the cover plate. The rattle that you year is from this screw rattling against the stopper inside the lever as the lever does have movement especialy on rough surfaces. I have both sets of levers and they both do the same on rough road surface and stop when you put your hands on them. Have played around with putting some small piece of tube onto the stopper but not succeeded yet.

The 7900 DA and 6700 Ultegra Levers come with a reach adjust screw that is located behind the cover plate. The rattle that you year is from this screw rattling against the stopper inside the lever as the lever does have movement especialy on rough surfaces. I have both sets of levers and they both do the same on rough road surface and stop when you put your hands on them. Have played around with putting some small piece of tube onto the stopper but not succeeded yet.

I am going to loosen all the plates/covers and screws and apply silicone to it. Will see it that works.

Thanks

I have had a situation where a lever rattled because the brake cable had a slight 'kink' and didn't release properly ..... I guess though that if it's both that's not the problem?

Easy enough to find though :unsure: