Ultimate Recover

I believe in compression so maybe try some compression leggings if you don't think it's bollocks.

But 3 weeks is allot of time to recover IMO, though maybe not enough to train again but you shouldnt loose form

Thanks. I will go the compression route definately (do use socks already). I only need to finish Cape Town so it gives me lots of time to regain my from while I am on the bike!

I believe in compression so maybe try some compression leggings if you don't think it's bollocks.

But 3 weeks is allot of time to recover IMO, though maybe not enough to train again but you shouldnt loose form

As a matter of interest: most of the research "proving" that compression works is from the land of OZ where it was developed. A recent empirical UK study proved it to be insignificant - God has created your skin to exert optimal pressure and your cellular and logistical transport systems of your body to be the best you can get on mother earth, that is if you keep it at an optimal level of conditioning through movement ...

Thanks

If you were in the same position, what "coctail" of supplements would you recommend.

The only stuff I use at present is Glutamine powder and vitamins. I have to say the Glutamine seems to work. Maybe I should add a few recovery shakes?

I will also take a few ice baths and do the Epson salt bath thing as well as a massage or two.

Maybe some compression gear for bloodflow....

I use the expertise of a panel of nutritional and pharmacological scientists - you send me your detail and I'll send you my advice. What I need is:

2. Medical condition
  3. Prescribed medicine you use
  4. Physical state - how long have you been training at what level
  5. Allergies
  6. Goals
  7. Time for achieving that

Send it to active@thebestyoucanbe.co.za

As a matter of interest: most of the research "proving" that compression works is from the land of OZ where it was developed. A recent empirical UK study proved it to be insignificant - God has created your skin to exert optimal pressure and your cellular and logistical transport systems of your body to be the best you can get on mother earth, that is if you keep it at an optimal level of conditioning through movement ...

That's great that's why I said I believe it works. Some may disagree. Like most here love 32GI , I can't stomach it.

Just take a teaspoon of cement and harden the #*$& up :D

Just kidding. I want to do the iron man one day when I'm big. Respect for doing 100km run a few weeks before tho!

My view would be to focus on the nutrition during the 100km and in the 48 hours following it (Simple stuff, lots of carbs and protein, in a shake or a steak it does not matter, just pack it in for a few days), then have a very light week of active training, followed by a medium week and then a light week leading into IM. So light medium light.

I would not just do light training for the 3 weeks leading in. The body and mind has an amazing ability to recover and an even more amazing ability to adapt () to reduced load over a period of time. 3 light weeks and your body won’t know what hit it at IM. One or two solid rides or swims will sort you out.

I would stay well away from gimmicks, if you don’t already do it and believe it is working don’t waste time, money, or energy on in now. Rather take the time and energy to put an extra 50km into the legs.

That is how i would do it in your position. Let us know how you go.

If I was to have 2 massive races and three weeks in between, how can I give my body the best chance to recover in full?

The first race is a 2 day 100km trial run.

The second is the Ironman Cape Town.

They are three weeks apart.

After the first race I plan to take in some Glutamine, eat well and do some easy cycling in the gym and a lot of stretching. I am also thinking to include a few massages.

What else can I take/do to aid in recovery?

Compared to riding a one/two week stage race, that's not a lot of work load. I know as a single event the ironman is hard, and takes a lot out of you, but the trail (trial?) run you mention, is what I'd still call training for the IM.

Eat well. make sure you keep warm after the run and after training, you will get sick easy if you are fit enough for the ironman. Rest as much as you can. Taper your training for the IM.

Recovery:

Rest

Ice

Compression

Elevation

and

Diet

Eat protein, chocolate, chilli sauce, with lots of carbs.

Protein (biltong) for the muscles

chocolate (Lint dark chocolate with chilli) for the antioxidants

chilli (Tabasco on steaks) for the pain killing

carbs (pasta) for the energy

You can also add magnesium, calcium, vitamin C and loads of black tea, to effect relaxation of mood and muscles.

If I was to have 2 massive races and three weeks in between, how can I give my body the best chance to recover in full?

The first race is a 2 day 100km trial run.

The second is the Ironman Cape Town.

They are three weeks apart.

After the first race I plan to take in some Glutamine, eat well and do some easy cycling in the gym and a lot of stretching. I am also thinking to include a few massages.

What else can I take/do to aid in recovery?

Friend i need to be totally honest with you here. You cannot recover from the 100km in time for Ironman it wont happen. Marathon distance can take 3-6weeks for your body to properly recover and depending on your age and fitness level even longer, and you are going now into a 100km basically 2 ultra marathons in 2 days, if I was u I would seriously re-consider this and decide which is more important. Your health is also at risk with taking on this.

all the best

M

Thanks MDW. I will take it as it comes. The trial run does offer us the whole day for 50km's x 2.

So I am going to try and complete it with as little collateral damage as possible. Run 2 hours, rest 15 minutes. Walk a few km's etc and then run again etc. At least it is not a marathon and you only have 5 hours if you get what I mean. We have like 15 hours per day.

If I dont recover for the IM Cape Town then so be it. I will still go and support at least. If I have doubts then I will take part and see how far I can get.

My recovery for the 50km citytocity marathon was quite fast. Maybe that is because I have been doing endurance events for 10 years now.

In any case, thanks for all the advice. I took my first Epsom Salt bath yesterday. Will alos follow the other stuff you guys gave me.

If I look at some of the stuff other guys do on TV (google James Cracknell) then I really think it is mostly in the head. Or I am soon to find out!!

Sometimes we think our bodies recover but when we put it to the test we suffer :D anyway enjoy Challenge it will be great, I believe the run route might change and the climb taken out due to safety, I know the guy who is advising on the route so should make for an interesting debate once we hear.