Midlands ULTRA Triathlon - WELL DONE ALL Competitors!

B-Active Sports

And what will it change for YOU if they do allow wetsuits? Will it take anything away from "YOUR" race or in any other way from you as a person?

I want to swim in my wetsuit as I am considering doing this race as training for IM PE. In IM PE we will be allowed to swim with wetsuits.

So I am with Henly. no guarantee, no entry for me - as simple as that....

And as I have done plenty of 70.3's + IM's, I have nothing to prove or lose if I dont do certain races.

Surely you cannot expect any race organiser to guarantee that wetsuits will be allowed - they cannot control the temperature. My understanding with the upper limit is that it gets dangerously hot in the wetsuits, so don't think it can ever be a guarantee. All you can ask is that they are more lenient and approach TSA to get triathletes in SA a consistent rule (the rules Ironman races apply). Will you do the same with other triathlons (threaten not to enter if they don't allow wetsuits) - this mean you will do no further races...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B Active Sports

If you are serious about safety and serious about promoting the sport amongst beginners and serious about promoting this specific race, then you have to think seriously, objectively and outside-the-box about the whole wetsuit issue.

See my previous posting “Wetsuit illegal – to drown or not to drown” https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/110804-wetsuit-illegal-%e2%80%93-to-drown-or-not-to-drown/

The negative responses you see in that thread are not representative of the TRI fraternity – a well known fact that applies to all similar forums on the internet.

Your Midmar race was wetsuit illegal in 2010. I did not enter for the 2011 race - because of the uncertainty. So I missed out on a wetsuit legal 2011 race. I shall not enter for the 2012 race either – because of the uncertainty. No! - it is not just me to think like this – do your research in a statistically significant way be surprised how Average Joe views the swim leg of a TRI. My January 2012 East London race is paid for upfront, complete with air tickets and guesthouse and car rental. Why? They go with 24.5C which is practically guaranteed.

Us mediocre swimmers are not asking that the rules be changed so that we can cheat. We are merely asking to be allowed buoyancy devices such as wetsuits – and accepting a penalty/handicap according. Check this out please http://www.triaids.com/SwimSafe.htm For peace of mind. Once deployed, obviously disqualified.

As a minimum alternative we would like upfront commitments by race organizers for wetsuit or no wetsuit rule before closing date of entries.

ps. Now expect some rude, ill-informed comments on this posting - from the hottest of the main manne what count – non-representative of the TRI fraternity! :thumbdown:

You can still drown with a wetsuit on, perhaps focus on overcoming your fear of swimming without a wetsuit instead of trying to change the rules of the sport to suit your needs (in the disguise of increasing safety and promoting the sport).

I think the problem is that there are 2 different sets of rules. TSA have chosen the lower temps for allowing wetsuits whilst IM have chosen higher temps.

http://triathlon.competitor.com/2010/04/news/ironman-announces-changes-in-swimwearwetsuit-rules-for-2011-season_8244

IM basically say that up until 24.5 degrees is wetsuit legal. Between 24.5 and 28.8 you can swim with a wetsuit, but will not be eligable for prizes and above 28.8 is prohibited in view that it is dangerously hot.

I am sure some research went into this.

TSA on the other hand says 22 degrees and thats it....................

Therefore there is a 6 degree difference between these bodies.....

Really guys referring to the above I really think IM's rules makes more sense in terms of accomodating our FELLOW ATHLETES something a lot of guys do not seem to want to do.........

Maybe TSA is catering for shorter distance races only in their rules and when 70.3 distances adopt these rules then the problems start.......

Always remember that us the age group masses are what pays for these races to happen. All we ask is a bit more understanding from your side to accomodate the bad swimmers as well........

Edited by Garfield2010

You can still drown with a wetsuit on, perhaps focus on overcoming your fear of swimming without a wetsuit instead of trying to change the rules of the sport to suit your needs (in the disguise of increasing safety and promoting the sport).

Yes but at least you wont sink and can be rescued. Especially when swimming a single lap loop like in Midmar.............

“trying to change the rules of the sport to suit your needs” – sounds like a typical sports administrator’s expression – scared that the sun might shine on others too.

Around 1985 when I was serious about road running I asked the organizers of the Comrades Marathon to consider seeding at the chaotic race start. The chief referee main speed cop general-in-charge with the power of decision-making made a summersault in disgust. The reply was something like “never ever in the history of mankind will we consider giving one comrade an advantage over another comrade. This race is not about winning – it is about camaraderie …”. I shut up and went through the same stampeding start of the 11 hour rabbits the next year. Now, try to imagine the 2011 Comrades without seeding!!!! (It is therefore a pity that we cannot conclude on this discussion also some years into the future – to prove you so very wrong in your current thinking). I wish for vision for our TRI administrators.

Shall we benchmark what the swim sport and the cycling sport and the running sport do and apply that to triathlon? Well, the open water swimming fraternity is far more flexible/creative/accommodative regarding wet suits. They welcome triathletes who want to practice in their wet suits at pure swimming event, provided they are not eligible for prizes, of course. Check this one example and wise up guys http://www.entrytime.com/index.asp?GoTo=EventInfo&EventID=3332

If we really want to get technical then I can complain as well to the organisers as the cycling route was at least 5km shorter than the supposed 90km's last year. This definately disadvantages me over the swimmers and runners.

And so we can continue.........

Anyways as the Midmar guys said, this is not a bitching post. All we ask is for you guys to consider what has been asked by us. I am sure it will have quite an influence on the number of entries should you guarantee a wetsuit swim (a wetsuit company is one of the sponsors afterall and surely they will sell plenty of suits at the little expo the day before if the swim is guaranteed WS Legal??). Or maybe make sure you measure the water temp in the middel of the dam at 50 meters deep on race morning!! ;) (shhht dont tell anyone)

Why not just use IM rules as mentioned above? That will definately solve all your (and our) problems and in anycase probably 75% of all guys entering your race is training for IM??? (just a guess)

Edited by Garfield2010

“trying to change the rules of the sport to suit your needs” – sounds like a typical sports administrator’s expression – scared that the sun might shine on others too.Around 1985 when I was serious about road running I asked the organizers of the Comrades Marathon....SNIPPED

Nope guess again.

Seeing you put me in the “typical sports admin” category maybe you can advise which category you belong in?

1. Master visionary

2. Master whinger

Anyway this isn’t the thread to argue about wetsuits legalities, you started that other one specifically for that.

Anyways as the Midmar guys said, this is not a bitching post. All we ask is for you guys to consider what has been asked by us. I am sure it will have quite an influence on the number of entries should you guarantee a wetsuit swim (a wetsuit company is one of the sponsors afterall and surely they will sell plenty of suits at the little expo the day before if the swim is guaranteed WS Legal??). Or maybe make sure you measure the water temp in the middel of the dam at 50 meters deep on race morning!! ;) (shhht dont tell anyone)

Why not just use IM rules as mentioned above? That will definately solve all your (and our) problems and in anycase probably 75% of all guys entering your race is training for IM??? (just a guess)

Your right its not the right place to whinge about wetsuit rules, so I apologize in advance for replying and will not do so on this thread in future...

I actualy wonder how many more people would enter if wetsuits were allowed versus not allowed or wait until race day decision? I find it hard to believe that there will be a significant increase.

The IM rules info that you linked say that it applies only to the US and world champs (Hawaii), or am I wrong?

TBH I’m surprised and disappointed that IM decided to go that route with higher temps.

And contrary to some visionaries beliefs I’m not an excellent swimmer and much prefer swimming with my wetsuit, than without. Kind of like drafting, once you get used to it its hard to not do it.....

Your right its not the right place to whinge about wetsuit rules, so I apologize in advance for replying and will not do so on this thread in future...

I actualy wonder how many more people would enter if wetsuits were allowed versus not allowed or wait until race day decision? I find it hard to believe that there will be a significant increase.

The IM rules info that you linked say that it applies only to the US and world champs (Hawaii), or am I wrong?

TBH I’m surprised and disappointed that IM decided to go that route with higher temps.

And contrary to some visionaries beliefs I’m not an excellent swimmer and much prefer swimming with my wetsuit, than without. Kind of like drafting, once you get used to it its hard to not do it.....

I am not sure which IM those apply to, I thought IM is a worldwide brand with the same rules etc, maybe when I have time I will look on the local website.

Maybe we could start a poll just for interest sake? Swiss, do you know how to do that?

Ask maybe what the hubbers think and give them 3 options regarding the wetsuit thing like

1 no I wont enter if it is wetsuit legal

2 I would probably enter but would prefer wetsuit legal

3 It doesnt matter I will race in any case

Just an idea?

Edited by Garfield2010

If the water is cold then wear a wet suit for safety......Hypothermia is not good ;)

If the water is warm then no wet suit.....finish and klaar.

If you can make the 3.8km swim in a wet suit then you can do it without one to.

No it will Not save your life if you get to tired to keep your head out of the water.

Maybe we could start a poll just for interest sake? Swiss, do you know how to do that?

Ask maybe what the hubbers think and give them 3 options regarding the wetsuit thing like

I guess you would need to open a new topic under > GENERAL > POLL's section of the forum.

Only needs 1 question and 2 possible replies:

Does the possibility of NOT being allowed to wear your wet suit during the swim stage, STOP you entering a triathlon?

Yes or No

If the water is cold then wear a wet suit for safety......Hypothermia is not good ;)

If the water is warm then no wet suit.....finish and klaar.

If you can make the 3.8km swim in a wet suit then you can do it without one to.

No it will Not save your life if you get to tired to keep your head out of the water.

The issue is what is warm and what is cold? 22 degrees for me is still cold. 24 is more like it.

I will run the poll once the huubers are back.

Hey Guys

Thanks for all the feedback and comments. its kept our post at the top for the past week. Thanks also for opening a new poll and using the old post to chat further on this... We appreaicte it.

As I said before, this is something you need to take to TSA as the event organisers abide by the rules layed out for them.

Happy training and hope to see you at the event in March with or without your wetsuit.

Cheers

Damian Bradley

Race Director

The issue is what is warm and what is cold? 22 degrees for me is still cold. 24 is more like it.

I will run the poll once the huubers are back.

EP Champs about 10 years back was a shocker....2 meter swells and water temp was 12 degrees and their were guys and girls that finished without wet suits.I did feel very sorry for them though.

I was checking out the cycling route profile and the route seems very flat with 50 to 100m ups and downs. I also looked at the results for my age group for last year and it seems on average the good folks where blistering 30km/h+. So it seems like an extremely fast route. Can anyone who has done this race before confirm ?

I was checking out the cycling route profile and the route seems very flat with 50 to 100m ups and downs. I also looked at the results for my age group for last year and it seems on average the good folks where blistering 30km/h+. So it seems like an extremely fast route. Can anyone who has done this race before confirm ?

I did the race last year. I think it was a bit shorter than 90km - my time was 10 minutes faster than I would normally have done. Definitely tougher than the Vanderbijl route (if you have done the Prestige Ultra) but I wouldn't say it is difficult.