Midlands ULTRA Triathlon - WELL DONE ALL Competitors!

B-Active Sports

I was checking out the cycling route profile and the route seems very flat with 50 to 100m ups and downs. I also looked at the results for my age group for last year and it seems on average the good folks where blistering 30km/h+. So it seems like an extremely fast route. Can anyone who has done this race before confirm ?

According to my Garmin file of last years race the bike was 84.93km long with 852m of overall ascent. The route is fast but almost never flat either up down or long drags. Its not difficult to ave. 30km/h+. Weather was also good last year with no wind...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2011 route was officially 85.4km instead of the 90km due to safety concerns at the turning point. We will try to get as close to the 90km required at the 2012 events.

The run route for the 2012 Series will be ALOT faster the previously. The route is flatter, all on tar and alot easier. You can expect your run times to be between 3 and 6min faster than 2011.

Hope to see you there.

The B-Active Sports Team

The run route was also over 1km too long last year as well (measured on my Garmin) which seriously sucked in that heat. Given that you were using a dead turn I couldn't figure out why this was neccessary! It would be great if you could get this right too.

Otherwise a cracking race and I'll be back with a few mates this year.

Already done and changed.

Check the NEW run route map and profile

The laps are 10.1km each from each turn point, as you don't go back to the finish for the turn onto lap 2. Its 400m to the turn point and so out and back is 800m + the 20.2km (2 laps) = 21km.

Hope to see you there.

post-16181-0-84797800-1325825985.jpg

post-16181-0-92504500-1325826029.jpg

Edited by B-Active Sports

Haha tongue.png No I meant TO DRINK, will there be enough water supplied during the race?? Believe last year ran out...

Sounding like a great event so far though!

Haha tongue.png No I meant TO DRINK, will there be enough water supplied during the race?? Believe last year ran out...

Sounding like a great event so far though!

Got visions of people trying to swim in mud haha

Hi B-Active,

all three of the races that I have entered that were organised by B-Active,ran out of water! 3 out of 3, that is shocking. I have never had such consistently poor organisation by any other organisers.

you can have as many water tables as you want, but when they run out of water as they did at Midlands last year, suncoast this year and suncoast last year, it makes no difference!

I also cannot see how the oficials are going to enforce the "partial road closure", it does not make sense. there will still be 2 way traffic on the road, with no real shoulders, a number of intersections etc. Still dangerous in my mind!

I also think it was a very poor showing at suncoast this year when B-Active shut the course after 3.10 for an olympic distance event. I had finished well before then, but saw many disspaointed people, a great welcome to teh sport!

you can take it as constructive criticism and act on it, or ignore, your call.

I will be taking 2 bottles of energade with me out of the run transition just in case. I will then keep on refilling them at every water point just in case.

I can however not see them running out of water again as this point have been raised numerous times.

THe partila road closure was sufficeint last year. The most important thing was the police presence so the motorists was driving carefully.

Agreed that the running out of water at Suncoast this year was poor! Surely organisers were aware of how many entrants there were? And how hot it was going to be! I had no water after 5km of the run and it was seriously cooking!!

Midlands Ultra could be on a scorching day, and you can'e exactly run back into transition to get water bottles...so I seriously hope the water issue is sorted by then!!

like I said though it looks like its going to be a great event, I hope I am not disappointed!

Thought in quite funny/naive that the question about sufficient water got a response related to dam levels.

This has been the major grind against these events on this forum, to be flippant is not clever PR.

Hi Guys

I apologise for the dam level comment, for some reason I thought you were referring to that water, as we have an email earlier that day from another competitor about the level of the dam. We certainly weren't being flippant about a previous problem.

Yes there will be plenty of water and other liquids on the run route for the Midlands Ultra this year. We have more then tripled the water sachet allocation incase of the 38deg weather again. Added to this, we will have GU brew out on the route as well as Coke. The problem we had last year was that people used the water sachets to cool themselves down from the heat.

To combat this problem we will be using sponges and water troughs at the water tables as well as possible mist tunnels and showers on route. We also have 2 back up plans for water, consisting of 2 x 750lt water trailers which will be positioned out on the route as well as an emergency supply of cold water in our walk in fridge at the finish.

Last years event did not have the support of the Provincial RTI police (Freeway) we have secured them for this years events, to keep unnessasary traffic off our bike route. This added to the Howick police who do a fantastic job should keep traffic low and keep you guys safe. Unfortunatley we have tried for road closure, we even took our application to the dept of transport but to no avail.

I can assure you that barring elements out of our control, we will not run out of water at any of our events again.

We apologise to those who have experienced problems and we hope that we can show you that we have fix them.

Regards

B-Active Sports
Edited by B-Active Sports