Bike Set up

cadenceblur

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went for it....my cycling improved, my bike is super comfy!! I used it on my MTB and Roadbike....went to Renay Groustra. Awesome guy to chat to and he did a amazing job. ErgoMax is the best, they take everything into consideration. Money well spent :thumbup:

Ok so bridge set me up. Using string and some other mathematical devices. Presume this is the ergo fit?

As far as I know Bridge DONT do the Ergofit/Ergomax setups!

Thats just the weight off the knee and the Goniometer.

Jeroens setup does not check the weight over the knee, he checks saddle set back!

Edited by david16v

As far as I know Bridge DONT do the Ergofit/Ergomax setups!

Ok cool. There setup wasn't that great to be honest. My stem was too short amoungst my cleat positioning being wrong.

Think I'll get a proper set up done soon.

Edited by Scott 1

Just contacted Renay Goustra and I will report back later once it's finished and I have done some km's.

I went to him...you won't regret it!

Morning Guys. Does anybody know of someone that will be able to help in the Pretoria area with a proper setup. Had ITB problems and they went away with Physio, however, it feels like concrete again so must be my setup.

Edited by krl747

Morning Guys. Does anybody know of someone that will be able to help in the Pretoria area with a proper setup. Had ITB problems and they went away with Physio, however, it feels like concrete again so must be my setup.

Give Hanco Kachelhoffer a call, and let him do it for you.

He is trained in one of the proper setup techniques and has done me on my road and Mountain bikes and it has made all the difference.

I fell confident, comfortable and ride pain free after a lot of knee problems in the past.

I rate the work so highly that I did not even go for a spin on a new bike until he had set it up because I wanted the first ride to be perfect :clap:

hanco@langesports.co.za

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I've been trained in the BG FIT system from Specialized. ITB related problems 80% of the time is caused by foot structure and the lack of foot support. Reason for that is a human foot is designed for walking/ running or pronation. The idea of pronation is to absorb the impact of walking/ running and to efficiently distribute and transfer energy. Because you're strapped in the shoe you can't pronate, but still put your feet through the same "stress" as you would while walking/ running.

What I do is I do a complete structural and biometric assessment; I then use that data to set you up on the bike. Also there is two things that you must keep in mind 1. A bike fit should be dynamic, ie. it should change/ adapt to your current level of conditioning (so it should change the whole time). 2. Although there are certain rules of thumb around bike setup, personal preference and current state of conditioning plays a huge roll.

I would love to discuss your personal fit with you over a cup of coffee :D My email is bodybikefit@thebestyoucanbe.co.za

Hi Guys

Centres offering ErgoFiT and ErgoMAX:

Western Cape:

Sports Science Institute of SA

Olympic Cycles

Renay Groustra - Epic Cycles

Jaco Van Loggerenberg - www.ride-right.com

Circle Cycles

Complete Cyclist

Paceline Cycles

Gerrie Berner Biokinetics*

John O Connor

The Tri-shop*

Willie Engelbrecht*

Cycleteknix*

Cycle Factory*

Helderberg*

Line Griffiths / Chris Willemse Cycles

Bridge Cycles*

Gauteng:

Active Physio - Alberton

Cyclelab JHB

Design In Motion

Cycletech*

Northcliff Cycles*

DBN:

Gareth Harrington

PE:

CycloPro*

Those marked * use the system but are not using the product regularly enough for me to be confident of their technique

It seems these days everyone is a bike fitter.

That being said, there are really only a handful of people in SA who have bothered to subscribe to a recognized bike fit training course. In particular, these include the fitter at the new shop in Tokay (Debbie) and David Nel who posted here earlier (Pretoria). These are certified BG Fit technicians and are trained to assess customers properly as well as conduct proper dynamic bike fittings. They have knowledge of the most structured and advanced dynamic bike fitting system currently in use - the BG Fit developed by Andy Pruitt the "godfather " of bikefit and run in conjunction with the Boulder Center for Sports Medicine.

Any "formula" fitting system, irrespective of the advancement or otherwise of its algorithms, relies on measurements and computation to arrive at a fit. The fit then is simply an algorithmic interpretation of commonality averages. Since so many humans are anything but average, the best you get out of a fit like this is .... an average fit.

Any fit that does not include as critical components both a customer interview and a detailed physical or functional assessment, is a waste of money, or at best, headed straight for "average".

Any fit that is not based on a dynamic fitting process - where the rider can be assessed under varying loads and in different positions - will likely lose valuable insight into that rider's peculiarities and technical asymmetries. This again is heading straight for "average" and a likely recurrence of overuse or repetitive-stress injury.

But at all times the customer will be at the mercy of the competence and experiential knowledge of the fitter. This includes any resources the fitter can access. Proper fittings normally involve some seemingly innocuous changes - good fits will invariably incorporate some symmetrical adjustment and these changes need time to settle. The adjustment period is typically around 3 weeks.

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Centres offering ErgoFiT and ErgoMAX:

Western Cape:

Sports Science Institute of SA

Olympic Cycles

Renay Groustra - Epic Cycles

Jaco Van Loggerenberg - www.ride-right.com

Circle Cycles

Complete Cyclist

Paceline Cycles

Gerrie Berner Biokinetics*

John O Connor

The Tri-shop*

Willie Engelbrecht*

Cycleteknix*

Cycle Factory*

Helderberg*

Line Griffiths / Chris Willemse Cycles

Bridge Cycles*

Gauteng:

Active Physio - Alberton

Cyclelab JHB

Design In Motion

Cycletech*

Northcliff Cycles*

DBN:

Gareth Harrington

PE:

CycloPro*

Those marked * use the system but are not using the product regularly enough for me to be confident of their technique

Gareth Harrington's details: www.centreforsportsmedicine.co.za

Gareth Harrington

Physiotherapist

Holroyd & Goodenough Physio- Hillcrest

Tel: 031 7642918

Email: hillcrest@thephysio.co.za

www.physiolink.co.za

Edited by Caerus

Any recomendations for Bike Setup in Durban? I've found two people, the one being Clayton Blackler and the other being Gareth Harrington.

Edited by Caerus