Broken Chain Again

DuncanCT

Just broke my second chain on my 3x10 XT group set. Both chains broke while pedaling uphill so i assume its to do with bad shifting.

I weigh 100kg but I have not had a chain break on my road bike so i assume it's not my weight.

What is best practice from changing gear and gear choice?

Most of the time a chain breaks due to bad shifting uphill, derailure hangers too. Like its been said anticipate, shift early. And rather get a heavier stronger chain than these holotech jobbies. the 2 gram you save aint worth the price or the hassle.

Shimano chains are prone to failure of not installed properly - always use the installation pin and make sure you do not insert the pin too far.

Once installed I normally pop the chain tool onto the other side of the chain and give it a quarter turn back to make it pop into position properly. If the link is tight then it's wrong - the pin normally eases into place - you can feel the "pop" in the chain tool - it's tight and hard to turn until it pops then suddenly the tool loosens up - that when you know it's right.

Shimano chains are great but installation is not as simple as it seems....

Shimano chains are prone to failure of not installed properly - always use the installation pin and make sure you do not insert the pin too far.

Once installed I normally pop the chain tool onto the other side of the chain and give it a quarter turn back to make it pop into position properly. If the link is tight then it's wrong - the pin normally eases into place - you can feel the "pop" in the chain tool - it's tight and hard to turn until it pops then suddenly the tool loosens up - that when you know it's right.

Eldron you don't use 'powerlinks' :unsure:

On the topic of chains. Is it possible to run a 10 speed shimano chain with a sram quick link that comes apart?

My understanding of the 10 speed quick link is that once its in place thats it you cant remove it.

I have the 9 speed quick link on my mtb and it works a charm and want the same system on the road bike.

Any ideas?

Zula you can use any brand, as long as its a 9spd specific quicklink for 9spd chains and 10spd specific for 10spd chains, Brand does not matter. I prefer SRAM quickllinks since ive never had issues with them.

On 9 speed I used to but the 10 speed stuff is not removable once installed (as far as I know).

I don't remove my chain once installed - clean it on the bike until it's poked then pop a new once on. I could use powerlinks but have had no issues with broken chains. Ever.

On 9 speed I used to but the 10 speed stuff is not removable once installed (as far as I know).

I don't remove my chain once installed - clean it on the bike until it's poked then pop a new once on. I could use powerlinks but have had no issues with broken chains. Ever.

I got a 'new' 10sp 'powerlink' that is re-usable (not black, sort of silver in colour ....) from my LBS last week. And I have had to 'break' the chain once already and it was cool!

I got a 'new' 10sp 'powerlink' that is re-usable (not black, sort of silver in colour ....) from my LBS last week. And I have had to 'break' the chain once already and it was cool!

What make? It's always nice to have a powerlink on your chain - good to keep in tubby bag too!

Any recommendations for a stronger chain?

Connex. Nice powerlink too. Never had an issue with mine.