Durbanville High School Funride and MTB 2011

Tiny K

Well that was fun. Started in O and ended up with some of the I and J riders at the finish. Nice route and noe real wind to bother us.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

did the MTB event. that downslope near the end was brilliant! Wished i had a dropped post though. Nice route, pity i didnt stop to take snaps along the way, very picturesque. Crap load of climbing though (ok ok before the lycratroop says omg thats not a climb blah blah fishpaste, just my third XC event and yes, i'm a noob, but not as noob as those that walked down that little decline :P )

Kidding aside, great event :) Glad I decided last night to do it, and thank YOU for the inspiration ;)

Edited by Capricorn

did the MTB event. that downslope near the end was brilliant! Wished i had a dropped post though. Nice route, pity i didnt stop to take snaps along the way, very picturesque. Crap load of climbing though (ok ok before the lycratroop says omg thats not a climb blah blah fishpaste, just my third XC event and yes, i'm a noob, but not as noob as those that walked down that little decline :P )

Kidding aside, great event :) Glad I decided last night to do it, and thank YOU for the inspiration ;)

Glad to hear you had fun. Was just a perfect day for riding.

Not me... going to the Natal Midlands...

What happened ? i saw you there haha You still going the Natal Midlands then ??

Edited by Boris

Someone told me this ride is flat and that one can use it as a warm-up ride for tomorrow's race.

He was lying.. :)

Great vibes today.

Lekka to see the kids involved in the cheering and dancing.

Organized finely...

Saw many familiar faces there. :thumbup:

Thanks 'F & G ' guys!

Pity we let the ONE mouse get Away!

See you Guys on the Road.

John, 'Goldylocks'

Cool to see you too again, man...

:)

Doesn't look too bad on Windguru, around 10 whatevers. 10 - 12 degrees chilly. Little precipitation. But then, being Cape Town, it could be howling and pissing with rain.

Did you get out of da bed, sleepy head?

;)

Nice ride, nice weather, quite happy with time. Could/would have been faster if I did not had to stop to put my chain back on the cassette after I got rearended on that little climb just before the Sonop T junction. Was hit so hard the chain jumped of the cassette and wedged between the cassette and wheel. Lost my bunch there, chased hard to try and catch up, but did not succeed. Ended up riding on my own mostly.

Still only a couple of minutes slower than last year (same seeded bunch) :thumbup:

couple of things i think that could be improved though: route marking. A marking on the ground, right at a deviation on a descent is not the way to do it. A raised route marker would be better. In fact, that's would be my own gripe: many of the route markers were literally on the ground, not present, or low down on the ground among the grass. At one point on a decline, there was a mini pile up as guys had to stop and look where the hell the route was intended to go.

Very minor gripe though. Overall, good organisation, great vibe. :thumbup:

anyone spot any photogs? Iwould love to see a photo taken at the end of that steep section near the end. I bet my rotors were red hot :P

Edited by Capricorn

Well that was fun. Started in O and ended up with some of the I and J riders at the finish. Nice route and noe real wind to bother us.

ooh, the 'cheerleaders' at the entrance back into the school was interesting ;)

@one time - nice to meet you before the start. It is amazing to meet the different hubbers behind the avatar. :thumbup: :thumbup:

@Capricorn - UDXCOB commented post-race that the cheerleaders were in better form last year. Think we need to email he school and comment that they need to make sure their cheerleaders are on form and in shape.... I do not see round as an acceptable shape for the human form.... :lol: :lol:

My ride was lekker. Had (what we suspect) a group of guys from Brothers Sport on Focus bikes and 80mm deep sections, lead us out for the first 40odd Km's.

After the first hour we had covered just over 40Km's - hectic speed but cool.

Focus guys had a technical with one of the rider's bikes, so they dropped off and so did the pace.

Rest of the ride was uneventful except for there where we met up at the silo's with the short route guys.

We had lots of group issues trying to get past the moer slow cyclists.

My first technical in a while happened on the 3rd last hill - was sitting 2nd in the bunch, try to drop from big to small chain ring as well as gear down one at the back - Yeah I know, stupid move but still, it happens - chain drops off the inside and group starts to go past me. Thankfully I get the chain on as the last few guys come past me - hop onto the bunch again and off we go.

Second, not so technical technical, I was boxed in by two league riders who obviously didn't have the legs anymore - one in front of me and one left of me and too little space to go left around him. By the time there was a gap for me to go (was about 10 sec's max) the group was 100 odd meters ahead of me. I tried my hardest to catch the bunch but the longer I was solo, the further they got away.

I finished around 2:20 but lots was learnt.

Won two lucky draw prizes :D :thumbup: It helps when buddies don't stay for the prize giving and I ask for their numbers, and with 5 numbers, at least one would hopefully win something :D

See you guys next weekend for the extended version of the Klein Joostenberg race (weather and how I feel dependant).