Bikes on trains - Claremont to Simonstown

Joe Low

Shew. I was only 1 year old in 76. And living in another country.

You okes are ancient :lol:

Jissis boet I know people who know you that may know where you live :angry:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I travel daily by train. Bikes are NOT allowed on the trains in CT. The only exception is on Argus day.

ohmy.gif isn't that cheating?

Thanks guys, nice to wake up this morning and find that most of the **** has cleared from the thread whilst i was away - that doesnt happen very often.

Thanks for the route info LL & if a couple of stops are dodgy then I'll re-think. Shame though, easy less fun way is to put the bike on the back of the car and drive to somewhere nice.

Using the train on Argus day - I think its quicker to ride. Go over the mats, head to the station catch train, get off Jubilee Sq all in less than an hr? Would be funny tho.

Dissolve all the mystery and go and have a look here:

Cape Metro Rail

Google can be useful sometimes.

Edit: But on the other hand, why Google when you have The Hub ?!? :lol: :clap: :lol:

Edited by Grebel

Dissolve all the mystery and go and have a look here:

Cape Metro Rail

Google can be useful sometimes.

Edit: But on the other hand, why Google when you have The Hub ?!? :lol: :clap: :lol:

The Hub meets a need for near-human contact & you get a lot more colour than:

"Bicycles

Bicycles and surfboards are generally not permitted on Metrorail trains except during special events."

I thought surfing on trains was frownded on all year round.

Thanks for clearing that up tho.

"Bicycles

Bicycles and surfboards are generally not permitted on Metrorail trains except during special events."

i take train most days, i've seen guys with bikes outside of rush hour a few times, when the train is still busyish.

reckon you can get away with it if it's not full, otherwise just ride.

edit:just read through some more of their 'rules'.

tickets are not transferable? ha ha!

Smoking

Hawking or selling inside operational areas. Operational areas include the inside of trains, platforms, subways and bridges. This

practice endangers the lives of commuters, expose them to unhygienic conditions and hinders passenger flow

Edited by SteveCT

As a hijack - when are you going to be in CT ?

28th/29th Dec for a week. Depends how the trains are :)

I live in Mowbray and I often drive to Kalk Bay or Simons Town to start my ride there. I hate putting my life in the hands of so many stupid bus/taxi/Capetonian drivers to get through the Southern Suburbs on a road bike. The scenery and the riding South of Kalk Bay is so much better anyway and the traffic a lot less. The possible routes from Simons town can be anything as short as a 35 km loop or a 100km+ ride without going over the same ground twice. Try doing the "all climbs route" for a hard one. This I normally start in Hout bay and it includes Chapmans Peak, Ou Kaapse Weg, Boyes Drive, Black Hill, Slangkop, Red Hill, Smitswinkels Bay and then back to Hout Bay along the Argus route (+-112km). You can also start this in Simons Town.

"Bicycles

Simply written rules and as we have all experienced in this wonderful country of ours, these written rules aren't always followed...

Take the advice of the locals that live there. They generally know better.

I took the train in to town yesterday to fetch my car (is this a cycling forum or what?) and I did the obvious thing, namely asked the woman at the ticket counter.

Her initial blank look was replaced by an even blanker one, but eventually she seemed to grasp what I was asking and intimated that I could take a bike on a train, but it would cost me R10. Having looked at the Rules, this suggests that she might have deemed a bike "a large or inconvenient parcel". At certain points in long rides, I am inclined to agree.

YMMV.

Edited by pbp2007