Kneepads: 661 or Troy Lee

banna

Then T-bones or 661 KS. 661 Evo's are nice as well but a bit pricey.

Yup. Just a pity it's such a mission to get any of these products in SA. Wonder if that shop in Contermans won't stock it?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

banna: heed that suggestion well, about a hard shell.

Fox Launch Pro pads are soft outside, hard inner.

New 661 stuff also has the hard shell under the soft outer.

your intact kneecap will thank you later.

Edited by Capricorn

banna: heed that suggestion well, about a hard shell.

Fox Launch Pro pads are soft outside, hard inner.

New 661 stuff also has the hard shell under the soft outer.

your intact kneecap will thank you later.

Thx Cap. Yup, point taken. My riding parter had a bad fall on Saturday. And needless to say his knee took the brunt of it. Bit of a wake up call. Hence the search for padding this morning.

It's worth it, banna. Get some elbow guards as well. Started wearing them on all rides (except Koeberg!) after one or two minor offs had me off the bike cause my knee was badly scarred or my elbow took a knock.

For elbows I wear 661 Evo or POC. Endura MT500's are also nice.

Thx Crow. Ja, ag I think I rather wanna go with something a bit more manoevarable. Never used pads before, so it's gonna take a while to get used to it. And at the moment I wanna use it for light AM/aggressive trail riding, so the shin protection will be overkill for what I wanna use it for. I ride Jonkers a lot, so just need padding on the knees for all those rock sections.

Hey if you grab the 661's be sure to get the right size. DONT buy it too big as they'll slip down your legs.

ps-I always smile when I read "aggressive trail riding". I get this image of a lycra clad bull on a bike snorting down the trail and grunting like a minotaur when there is a "passive trail rider" ahead ;)

It's worth it, banna. Get some elbow guards as well. Started wearing them on all rides (except Koeberg!) after one or two minor offs had me off the bike cause my knee was badly scarred or my elbow took a knock.

For elbows I wear 661 Evo or POC. Endura MT500's are also nice.

Yup. Gonna start with the pads and work my way up to a full face helmet. I guess it does wonders for your confidence when your're trying to push the limits and trying to go faster.

Hey if you grab the 661's be sure to get the right size. DONT buy it too big as they'll slip down your legs.

ps-I always smile when I read "aggressive trail riding". I get this image of a lycra clad bull on a bike snorting down the trail and grunting like a minotaur when there is a "passive trail rider" ahead ;)

:D Thx boet. That's why I'm scared to buy it at CRC, because not sure about sizing.

It does. But somewhere along the line you have to make a conscious decision on have far you wanna go. If you go full face then full torso / upper body is next. And surely then you'll need hip / ass / thigh protection....and a neck brace...

See what I'm saying?

:D Thx boet. That's why I'm scared to buy it at CRC, because not sure about sizing.

Have a look at the sizing chart on 661's website. It's pretty spot on. But, yeah sizing is important.

It does. But somewhere along the line you have to make a conscious decision on have far you wanna go. If you go full face then full torso / upper body is next. And surely then you'll need hip / ass / thigh protection....and a neck brace...

See what I'm saying?

Most of these "aggressive trail riders" just need knee pads. Save the armour for downhills, and even then, only if you are really going for it.

Have a look at the sizing chart on 661's website. It's pretty spot on. But, yeah sizing is important.

Smaller is better. Also, check out the 661 EVO's. Those are classy and work really well for AM.

See what I'm saying?

Indeed. Ag, lets see where the journey takes us? I'm bored with XC, so I really think AM riding is where it's at. Gives me an opportuntiy to learn new skills. Simple as that.

Like Omega said further up I would rather go for the race face ones at Action Cycling. I have tried all of the ones that have been mentioned above except for the Fox. They all work when you fall off but when it comes to wearing them for the whole day the chafing is the worst. The Race Face are the best when it comes to this.

Gotta love mtb'ing. Let me know if and when you'd like to hook up for a ride.

Cool stuff. Normally at Majik on Saturday mornings and at Jonkers on Sunday mornings, so ja, if you planning to go there send me a PM. Luv to see that green mamba of yours!