The great Chain Cassette Gears thread

rckhpr29er

Yes that spacer washer and you can also put spacers between the chainring and crank....but Zee is a dedicated 1x crank IIRC so it should not need this.

Check your chainline....which rear cog does the chainring line up on....use a straight steel ruler or similar stiff thin straight edge to check.

Chainline should be on the middle or just inboard of middle on the cassette.

Use you cable adjuster on the shifter to sort the noise out. Assume the dropout and RD are not bent?

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Turn your clutch off and check if it still battles to change gears/is noisy.

Clutch cannot be turned off on the type 2 x9

Chainline should be on the middle or just inboard of middle on the cassette.

Use you cable adjuster on the shifter to sort the noise out. Assume the dropout and RD are not bent?

I'll send a pic later regarding chain line.

I'll try the barrel on the shifter and see if it reduces any noise too

Ive noticed that the grinding noise is Not coming from the chain ring but rather the chain. You need to add, or remover spacers between the chain ring and your crank at the front, so that it can line up with the centre gear on you rear cassette. The grinding noise is a result from the chain having too much horizontal or side ways movement. Just line it up properly and the problem should be solved.

Ive noticed that the grinding noise is Not coming from the chain ring but rather the chain. Ive had an Absolute Black Oval chainring and a Kitted chainring and on both the chain made the grinding noise. You need to add, or remover spacers between the chain ring and your crank at the front, so that it can line up with the centre gear on you rear cassette. The grinding noise is a result from the chain having too much horizontal or side ways movement. Just line it up properly and the problem should be solved.

Looks OK.

So if the chain line looks okay, and derailleur is set accordingly... does that mean that my cassette needs replacing now?

You can try spacing the chainring to give chainline on 4th largest gear at the back. If this doesnt solve ur problem then chainline not the issue.

Look carefully at chain lube, alignment of RD. If your chain is worn less than 1% and the cassette not skipping teeth under power then you dont need a new cassette yet.

Would be so much easier to advise if I could see the bike...[emoji3]

Edited by JXV

• 1 year later...

Good day all. My chain is on the 0.5 mark on the chain checker. Do i need to replace it? I've done about 1000km

Good day all. My chain is on the 0.5 mark on the chain checker. Do i need to replace it? I've done about 1000km

Thats the point that i normally replace. I find that 0,75 already starts creating mechanical noise on the drivetrain i cant stand hearing while I'm trying to climb a hill.

Thats the point that i normally replace. I find that 0,75 already starts creating mechanical noise on the drivetrain i cant stand hearing while I'm trying to climb a hill.

thanks.