Steep Descending Switchbacks (MTB)

zaslinger

To turn better move some weight back to the front wheel in the turn, the front will have more grip then and turn better. If a rock pops up in the turn normal procedure is to try and lift the front wheel.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Riding down the Bridle path (switchbacks) in Tokai forest will teach you quickly or painfully. They don't come much steeper or sharper.

My advice: Reduce saddle hight an inch or two. Pedals level, outside pedal forward. Move back on saddle. Very lightly on front brake. Keep rolling fast enough to get through ruts or over roots. Practice by doing very slow figure of 8s in the parking lot to learn balance and control.

Great piece of trail, them switchbacks down the Bridle path. Its a pity that the big bikes have cut those horrible ruts on every switchback. It makes going down now risky for the RD.

Whatever you do, try not to drag your rear wheel around. It compounds the problem for the next guy thats coming down if there are ruts in every corner.

Just touch the back brake, lean back and pull the front brake hard, not suddenly but increasingly, that will swing you round the corner.

You can also do a nose stand on the apex of the turn, then swing the rest of the bike around to line up with the exit.

ok... probably not...

I was just confused by all the advice here :lol:

Here's my take on it.

1. Set up your speed whilst before the corner. Preferably in a straight line. Try not brake in the corner itself. Braking shifts weight distribution and you lose traction.

2. Look ahead. When entering look at the apex. when at the apex look at the exit.

3. Pedals level works. Outside foot down works even better. And I am in serious doubt about the "outside foot forward". (as mentioned in other threads, your front foot preference is like skating goofy or natural. so switching it will make one feel uncomfortable).

4. Lean the bike (as Jimmy said).

5. Your front wheel chooses your direction... so don't lean back too much or you will loose front wheel traction and wash out. In fact, a little more weight over the front is a good thing. It's like MX riders. They move forward up onto the fuel tank and put inside leg out... not cos they think the bike will fall over, but more to get weight over the front wheel.

6. "Pump" the corner. This takes practice, but using a pumping technique to shift weight and force where it is needed at various stages of the corner, will take you through safer and smoother. This technique will also have you lifting the front slightly at the exit of the corner (as Tumbleweed mentioned)... watch some DH/FR vids... all the pro's do this so it must work!

7. Practice patting your head and rubbing your stomach. I'm sure it helps with co-ords or something like that

Edited by patches

Just touch the back brake, lean back and pull the front brake hard, not suddenly but increasingly, that will swing you round the corner.

This sounds the wrong way round to me, unless you want to do a stoppy and lift the back wheel to swing it around. Anything else and you are going over the bars or sliding your front wheel out, both ways you are going to go down.

You can also do a nose stand on the apex of the turn, then swing the rest of the bike around to line up with the exit.

Not for the faint hearted :D

The Vori-Berg has a section where there is this dreaded switch back that is a right hander.

This part of the route is open for riding at any time and offers quite a lot of technical stuff.

You are welcome to come and ride

Cheers

Clive

Great piece of trail, them switchbacks down the Bridle path. Its a pity that the big bikes have cut those horrible ruts on every switchback. It makes going down now risky for the RD.

Whatever you do, try not to drag your rear wheel around. It compounds the problem for the next guy thats coming down if there are ruts in every corner.

Whatever... its always the big bikes that cause the trail problems right? Never the XC riders that feel they need to drag their brakes around every corner and everything that looks remotely steep.

Dont try to shift the blame to one class of rider go find specific people to blame if you want to blame someone. It just comes across as pathetic when someone does that.

Whatever... its always the big bikes that cause the trail problems right? Never the XC riders that feel they need to drag their brakes around every corner and everything that looks remotely steep.

Dont try to shift the blame to one class of rider go find specific people to blame if you want to blame someone. It just comes across as pathetic when someone does that.

Agree with Marius. Virtually no downhillers ever ride the Tokai Bridle Path, simply because it is tough to push a DH bike that far up the mountain, let alone pedal it up there. The ruts on the switchbacks are caused by everyone that drag their back brakes (the "the big bikes" are innocent)and water erosion.

Thanks everyone.

Lots to think about and try.

I'm going to go with riding it with some momentum.

Release front brake during the turn.

Pedals horizontal, left forward (not goofy)

Lean the bike.

look at the exit - and HOPE / Prey :-)

Riding Berg&Bush again this weekend, will let you know how this works out.

Thanks everyone.

Lots to think about and try.

I'm going to go with riding it with some momentum.

Release front brake during the turn.

Pedals horizontal, left forward (not goofy)

Lean the bike.

look at the exit - and HOPE / Prey :-)

....if that doesn't work, just get a Savannah....