29er hardtail stage-racing

JGdp

ChickenRun4me, talk about "ruk die dam onder die eend se...." Have you worked out the amount of entries that the race receives, R35400 x 600 riders= CRAZY money.... and thats only half of the expenses!!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

ChickenRun4me, talk about "ruk die dam onder die eend se...." Have you worked out the amount of entries that the race receives, R35400 x 600 riders= CRAZY money.... and thats only half of the expenses!!

Ja, it is skrikwekkend to say the least.. It was more than R10k less when I did it. However all in all I dont think the Epic cost me more than R16k. That included petrol there and back and the GU I used on day 4..

You don't need any suspension for Atta.

No Dangle, YOU don't need ANY suspension for Atta. In fact, you don't even need more than one gear as I recall seeing you come past me at CraterCruise :thumbup:

I on the other hand, Darren, suspect I need all the help I can get :blush: it will be a while before I tackle anything more strenous that a cafe ride on a rigid singlespeed (although I have a project underway) :clap:

I have foolishly committed to Atta and must decide on my MCR or old, old well looked after 26" Epic .

29 DS maybe for down the line when I can get a nice frame to build up, but for now, I must live with what I have got. <_<

No Dangle, YOU don't need ANY suspension for Atta. In fact, you don't even need more than one gear as I recall seeing you come past me at CraterCruise :thumbup:

I on the other hand, Darren, suspect I need all the help I can get :blush: it will be a while before I tackle anything more strenous that a cafe ride on a rigid singlespeed (although I have a project underway) :clap:

I have foolishly committed to Atta and must decide on my MCR or old, old well looked after 26" Epic .

29 DS maybe for down the line when I can get a nice frame to build up, but for now, I must live with what I have got. <_<

Hi Eddy

Where did I pass you ?

I was having a real off day :(

Hope I said howzit :thumbup:

Hi Eddy

Where did I pass you ?

I was having a real off day :(

Hope I said howzit :thumbup:

a guy passed me on a ss rigid, wearing cargo pant, but he wasnt off, he killed it!! was that you??

a guy passed me on a ss rigid, wearing cargo pant, but he wasnt off, he killed it!! was that you??

I was in USN kit.

I did the Pioneer on Scott Scale 29er and my personal opinion is that if you're light and fit you do'nt need a 29er FS!The Sunday after I already forgot I rode 700km the week before!I might consider getting a FS the day I turn 50. :D

Nope, then it was someone else hey!!

There was a number of SS riders, I ended up in jut over 4 and a quarter hours :(

Never underestimate the Epic and sure as heck don't overestimate yourself.

Suffer you will, hurt and complain you will.

Unless you are genetically super gifted, forget about racing it.

My advice, get a full suspension, the best you can afford for your budget,

Get the wheels done as tubeless.

Train, and train well, ride more regularly, rather than cramming in a long ride here and there to up the hours.

You will be very glad that you have rear suspension after day 5 or so.

I knew you were soft boy!Duallies are for softies!! :D

Doubt I would go for a 29er HT, compared to a 26er the fact that it roles easier over objectsmakes it more comfortable. Wanting to race it, I would also suggest not going for a DS but instead investing the money you save buying a HT (not to mention weight) in a cycling bib, more particulary Assos. I myself did a 4day stage race on a 293er HT with a carbon seat, no padding just pure carbon,using a Assos bib I was just as comfortable as any other guy on a DS except I was able to race. Goodluck for the teaining though!

Doubt I would go for a 29er HT, compared to a 26er the fact that it roles easier over objectsmakes it more comfortable. Wanting to race it, I would also suggest not going for a DS but instead investing the money you save buying a HT (not to mention weight) in a cycling bib, more particulary Assos. I myself did a 4day stage race on a 293er HT with a carbon seat, no padding just pure carbon,using a Assos bib I was just as comfortable as any other guy on a DS except I was able to race. Goodluck for the teaining though!

I got a few pairs of giordana shorts, love them, carbon seat, so had to invest in the bum-protection too!! After all the inputs, I must say I'm leaning very heavily towards 29er HT, I'm 21, weight 74/75kg's, and a lot of the replies were about age and weoght...

Considering you are 21,go for the HT, 75kg is a very good average weight! I'm 18, 1.9m, 65kg and body fat of 2.9%. Giodora are good quality bibs! But I still swear by Assos, age and weight have a lot to do with it definitley, you won't see may 50+'s riding around on HT these days!

I knew you were soft boy!Duallies are for softies!! :D

At 41 and at 75 kg's, I am entitled to become soft, but for hard racing I will go full suspension to be honest, not for the comfort, but for making up ground.

Considering you are 21,go for the HT, 75kg is a very good average weight! I'm 18, 1.9m, 65kg and body fat of 2.9%. Giodora are good quality bibs! But I still swear by Assos, age and weight have a lot to do with it definitley, you won't see may 50+'s riding around on HT these days!

1.9m and 65kg should not be allowed in the same sentence :-) hahaha!! cant afford assos, bought 3 giordanas for the price of one assos, so that was my deciding factor, would have loved the assos though