29er hardtail stage-racing

JGdp

But the attekwas is ONE day, what about the 7 other days on the epic..that's the part where I'm not sure on HT or DS

Depends on what you're looking for. Aiming to just finish the Epic - DS. What to race it - 29 HT (and have a tough butt). Got a sponsor (or own a small European principality) and want to race it - 29 DS under 10kgs.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what you're looking for. Aiming to just finish the Epic - DS. What to race it - 29 HT (and have a tough butt). Got a sponsor (or own a small European principality) and want to race it - 29 DS under 10kgs.

Dammit- just sold my 50% ownership in an oil company, so there goes my sub 10kg DS(haha) !! I think ill get more bike from my budget with a HT, or then again maybe 2nd hand DS?? Or is that 2 risky??

IMHO although you may want to "race" it you are not going to win,and your time is not going to be very different if at all whether you ride a 29er hardtail, 26er HT or DS. Just go and enjoy it :thumbup:

IMHO:

You are approaching the race wrong.

If you are unsure what bike to buy for this race, you are overestimating the race, and underestimating your own ability. The Kenyans raced it on mid spec HTs. Someone did it on a rigid SS.

It is just another race. You just train harder fot this one.

We did it on 26ht with V-brakes. Granted, we we're 19 and pretty stupid, but it is what we had.

If I had a choice now, I'd take a DS (any wheelsize) because it is comfier and more fun to ride. You're body will take a beating and you will get bored.

But I will pick my bike with reliability and serviceability (is that even a word?) as my top priorities. No fancy parts, no fancy spokes and solid reliable tyres that I know can shrug off a beating. And I will train harder.

If you have a 26ds and cash to burn, ride it but upgrade it to something light and reliable, but ride it and the new components now so that you know and trust the setup. Experiment while you have the ti

me.

Run what you brung. MTB mentality from the days when XC and DH races were ridden on the same weekend on the same bike.

IMHO:

If you are unsure what bike to buy for this race, you are overestimating the race, and underestimating your own ability. The Kenyans raced it on mid spec HTs. Someone did it on a rigid SS.

We did it on 26ht with V-brakes. Granted, we we're 19 and pretty stupid, but it is what we had.

If I had a choice now, I'd take a DS (any wheelsize) because it is comfier and more fun to ride. You're body will take a beating and you will get bored.

But I will pick my bike with reliability and serviceability (is that even a word?) as my top priorities. No fancy parts, no fancy spokes and solid reliable tyres that I know can shrug off a beating. And I will train harder.

If you have a 26ds and cash to burn, ride it but upgrade it to something light and reliable, but ride it and the new components now so that you know and trust the setup. Experiment while you have the ti

me.

Run what you brung. MTB mentality from the days when XC and DH races were ridden on the same weekend on the same bike.

excellent reply, thanks!! i know its just another race, but 16400m climbing on the toughest terrain, i just want to do it yes, but still want to buy the right bike!! thanks for the input

You say you want to race it. What position are you aiming for?

No idea hey, I'm just training hard, and want to race it, don't have numbers in my head, too many variables on a race like that!!

Would the position I'm aiming for make a difference in the bike I should buy? And if so, please explain, thanks a lot!!

No idea hey, I'm just training hard, and want to race it, don't have numbers in my head, too many variables on a race like that!!

Would the position I'm aiming for make a difference in the bike I should buy? And if so, please explain, thanks a lot!!

Yes it does, top 50 overall consider the bike (50 is maybe too low already), otherwise get something you like and are comfy on. Climbing is gonna be there AND YOU WILL CARRY YOUR BIKE SOMETIME! So bear this in mind.

Done 3 on HT 26's and never had any issues except the legs. Ass was never an issue. If you training what you are gonna be riding it will be fine.

On another note forget all the K@K about mechanics and and.

Pragma bike wash and lube (OK maybe a chain and a few small odds and ends) is all you need.

On my first one we went big and it cost big, thereafter we did it on what the Epic gave us (except for the recovery drinks) and we were fine. Makes a huge difference to the cost.

Yes it does, top 50 overall consider the bike (50 is maybe too low already), otherwise get something you like and are comfy on. Climbing is gonna be there AND YOU WILL CARRY YOUR BIKE SOMETIME! So bear this in mind.

Done 3 on HT 26's and never had any issues except the legs. Ass was never an issue. If you training what you are gonna be riding it will be fine.

Pragma bike wash and lube (OK maybe a chain and a few small odds and ends) is all you need.

On my first one we went big and it cost big, thereafter we did it on what the Epic gave us (except for the recovery drinks) and we were fine. Makes a huge difference to the cost.

im Training on 26HT for about 7 months, and will train on it until end February by then i will have to make the decision on a bike at the latest!! we already put up our names for bike servicing :-)

IMHO:

me.

Exactly.

Over the years (MTB racing since 1989), I've found that I've reaped the best results and was actually competitive in races only when I pretty much forgot about technical stuff and just rode hard. It's weird, it was true for both DH and XC. Over-thinking bike setup gives you that warm cushy feeling and is a nice hobby, but it doesn't make you faster.

I remember a comment Hendrik Lemmer made about tyre choice for the Epic when asked what the best tyres would be: "The ones you currently have on". That pretty much sums it up.

Hi H

Die manne gee nou great info!

Ek dink jy kan iets vir jou bou wat nice is en dan die Epic geniet met jou wow! bike!

Jys tough en jonk genoeg vit HT en 'n goeie DS is dalk great, maar vir 29er, wat jy soek, gaan dit baie geld wees. Spez ds 29er lyk nou na R72k...vandag gepraat met ouens in Stellenbosch en voorraad is gone!!!

Bou jou HT en leer die bike ken en Enjoy die EPIC!

Never underestimate the Epic and sure as heck don't overestimate yourself.

Suffer you will, hurt and complain you will.

Unless you are genetically super gifted, forget about racing it.

My advice, get a full suspension, the best you can afford for your budget,

Get the wheels done as tubeless.

Train, and train well, ride more regularly, rather than cramming in a long ride here and there to up the hours.

You will be very glad that you have rear suspension after day 5 or so.

Hi H

Ek dink jy kan iets vir jou bou wat nice is en dan die Epic geniet met jou wow! bike!

Jys tough en jonk genoeg vit HT en 'n goeie DS is dalk great, maar vir 29er, wat jy soek, gaan dit baie geld wees. Spez ds 29er lyk nou na R72k...vandag gepraat met ouens in Stellenbosch en voorraad is gone!!!

Goed gestel.

"Bou 'n great bike", in plaas van "bou 'n great bike vir die Epic".

Hi H

En wat gaan Dr. Theron ry?? ek dink die topic gee die 1ste keer regtig nice info, klink eenvoudig soos hulle dit se-haha!! Maar ek skryf to die 21ste Rek, dan is ek terug ini hometown, sal dan als uitsort en begin soek!!

You say you want to race it. What position are you aiming for?

Dick pretty much summed it up. If you're not going for top 50 it matters precious little about the bike. In 2010 we ended just outside the top 100, (would have made it easily further up the field but my partner got a stomach bug during the last 2 days, but everybody has a story like that right..) and in that part of the field we had plenty of lightweight strong foreign riders with very very fancy lightweight bikes.. My DS 26 Spech Epic weighs in well over 12kgs and I passed many of these okes on the climbs. And I weigh +90kgs. Why? Because I trained my ass of, and I did so on the right type of terrain.

To try and illustrate my vague point: About a month before the Epic I wanted to go to new tubeless tyres as I'd been running std Maxxis tubelessly on std rims and was all worried about sidewall cuts and the rest. My training partners pointed out that I'd been riding the crap out of my current set in the WC for months with no hassles, so why worry now.. I rode the entire epic with the very same very well used tyres.. There is no substitute for hard work. Just ride what you have.

Guys really like to "ruk die dam onder die eend uit" when it comes to the Epic.. New bikes, new wheelsets, that package, this service.. We just rocked up and rode our hearts out and loved every painful minute..