Gumtree and its little consters!

mark ellis

Ah gumtree makes me laugh!

I got some golf clubs for sale and get a call from a foreign sounding guy asking about them, wants me to meet him in Kempton Park which is a fair distance from me so tell him if he wants them he must come to me, alright he says, he will see what he can arrange.

I dont think much about it as thought it a scammer anyway.

get another call from the guy asking why I never called him back? explain to him he said he was going to arrange to come see them and call me back.....oh yes he says.

He says he has a driver on standby who will come fetch them, whats my price? tell him R7000 like in the add...oh ok...will I take an offer? sure I say, what you have in mind...um...R6900 he says, will transfer now....tell him I will have to think about it quick and ask him to hold on while I do, put the phone on the table by my pc and play a recording of lions roaring (will see why)

Tell him I will take the offer but the putter needs new batteries and I just putting new bearings in the 29.5 driver....oh thats good he says.....now I am keen to see how far I can take this

Ask him what clubs he plays with now...ah he cant remember the name, its like the make of car tires (he must have seen Dunlop clubs)...ohh Firestones I say...yes yes that them he says!

Ok so give him directions to "my house" ( sent him to the lion park by the cradle) told him to ask for Simba when he gets there and if he not there to ask for Pumba.

waiting for his call back now

quite entertaining! I see websites like gumtree dying a slow death. Faceless buyers + Faceless sellers = the perfect scamming environment.

quite entertaining! I see websites like gumtree dying a slow death. Faceless buyers + Faceless sellers = the perfect scamming environment.

You should have stopped typing after the first exclamation mark.

You should have stopped typing after the first exclamation mark.

and you should have stopped typing after the first "Y". There, now we both wasted 20 seconds.

Ah gumtree makes me laugh!

I got some golf clubs for sale and get a call from a foreign sounding guy asking about them, wants me to meet him in Kempton Park which is a fair distance from me so tell him if he wants them he must come to me, alright he says, he will see what he can arrange.

I dont think much about it as thought it a scammer anyway.

get another call from the guy asking why I never called him back? explain to him he said he was going to arrange to come see them and call me back.....oh yes he says.

He says he has a driver on standby who will come fetch them, whats my price? tell him R7000 like in the add...oh ok...will I take an offer? sure I say, what you have in mind...um...R6900 he says, will transfer now....tell him I will have to think about it quick and ask him to hold on while I do, put the phone on the table by my pc and play a recording of lions roaring (will see why)

Tell him I will take the offer but the putter needs new batteries and I just putting new bearings in the 29.5 driver....oh thats good he says.....now I am keen to see how far I can take this

Ask him what clubs he plays with now...ah he cant remember the name, its like the make of car tires (he must have seen Dunlop clubs)...ohh Firestones I say...yes yes that them he says!

Ok so give him directions to "my house" ( sent him to the lion park by the cradle) told him to ask for Simba when he gets there and if he not there to ask for Pumba.

waiting for his call back now

:lol: :lol: For a complete Idiot with nothing good to say, who rides a 29'er, you did pretty well....

An for a complete golfing idiot like myself, you learn something new every day. I was unaware that putters needed batteries.

• 3 weeks later...

Posted an ad on Gumtree to sell my camera. Got an sms response within a minute of the ad going live. I then got another response via sms within an hour. I thought, great two buyers interested so I shouldn't have to haggle too much off the price.

I phoned both back to talk to them and both sound like they are foreigners from another African country. Both will do a deposit and pay courier charges via EFT. No haggling for price, no quotes for courier charges, not even a request for some high-res photos or pics of the accessories. We are talking advertised price of more than R5k here... That is a lot of cash to part with based on a cell phone picture.

I must give them banking details and they will email me proof of transfer. Oh and I must get the items to the post office to send via Postnet before 3:30pm.

Hmmmmmmm... scammers perhaps? Would it be a problem if I were to post the name, cell phone numbers and email addresses of these guys?

Edited by Grebel

snip

That there is a royal scam! Don't do it man!!! Money in the hand is the only way to go with cases like this.

Edit: if they are really serious, wait until the money is in the bank i.e. showing in the account. POP's are easy to forge. So are those proof of payment sms' :thumbdown:

Edited by Tiny K

That there is a royal scam! Don't do it man!!! Money in the hand is the only way to go with cases like this.

Edit: if they are really serious, wait until the money is in the bank i.e. showing in the account. POP's are easy to forge. So are those proof of payment sms' :thumbdown:

No worries. The alarm bells started ringing when I heard his accent...! Then the guy offered me more that what I had advertised "which should cover the courier fees" :clap: Classic.

I would rather give it to my 2 year old son to play with. At least that way I can get some enjoyment out of the deal!!