Cricket......

E1A104

20 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

Yes. But it should not. In my street there are laaities of 3 different ethnic backgrounds, when I see them play “straat krieket” there are no issues. If they can, why cant adults?

???? Fully agree.  Iit’s heartening to see how young sportspersons have no truck with racism, apart from those cricket match fixers who were shown up for their lies this week.

Also,  I may be a toppie now but, over the decades, you should have seen how well beautiful women from almost all of SA’s language groups and I played together. ????

Edited by justinafrika

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, justinafrika said:

???? Fully agree.  Iit’s heartening to see how young sportspersons have no truck with racism, apart from those cricket match fixers who were shown up for their lies this week.

Also,  I may be a toppie now but, over the decades, you should have seen how well beautiful women from almost all of SA’s language groups and I played together. ????

People are taught to hate.

Its sad when you try your charm on the females of the species and they refer to you as ‘oom’. I guess that also makes me an outoppie then ????????

Abu Dhabi: The below statement is by Quinton de Kock.
I would like to start by saying sorry to my teammates, and the fans back home.
I never ever wanted to make this a Quinton issue. I understand the importance of standing against racism, and I also understand the responsibility of us as players to set an example.
If me taking a knee helps to educate others, and makes the lives of others better, I am more than happy to do so.

end of story. Quinnie got this one wrong. The end of his statement he says there is always drama in our World Cups, he caused this. and has essentially owned it. As a national captain (at the time) he must realise he is an idol and a role model to thousands and his poster is on kids' walls. Rassie came out last year saying how he was fully behind BLM, and mentioned that his dad was involved in the ANC underground - brilliant. QdK chose not to talk about his family and background, that's fine but he could have used it to further this cause the team are on.

What the hell did he get from their 5 day culture camp last year, yoghurt growing techniques?

back to the actual cricket. that narrow loss to Aus has seriously closed the door. if they beat England tomorrow then we have got a slight opening as beating Eng in our final game could put the destiny in our own hands.

If Eng win, then we will need some bigger wins to overhaul aus.

either way, we probably are out if we don't win our final three games.

DON'T underestimate BAN though, they have done well in the run up to this tournament

2 hours ago, Shebeen said:

back to the actual cricket. that narrow loss to Aus has seriously closed the door. if they beat England tomorrow then we have got a slight opening as beating Eng in our final game could put the destiny in our own hands.

If Eng win, then we will need some bigger wins to overhaul aus.

either way, we probably are out if we don't win our final three games.

DON'T underestimate BAN though, they have done well in the run up to this tournament

Yep, if we can't win our final three games we don't deserve the playoffs.

If we now go on and win the three games handsomely and still don't qualify, then I'll feel miff.

I've actually made peace that we are not going to feature this tournament, too many off-the-field crap. I'm just going to enjoy the contest between the other nations as getting worked up about the Proteas never does me any good.

17 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

People are taught to hate.

Its sad when you try your charm on the females of the species and they refer to you as ‘oom’. I guess that also makes me an outoppie then ????????

People are not born to judge or hate, it is hereditary.
The cycle ends in the home......

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

If we now go on and win the three games handsomely and still don't qualify, then I'll feel miff.

I've actually made peace that we are not going to feature this tournament, too many off-the-field crap. I'm just going to enjoy the contest between the other nations as getting worked up about the Proteas never does me any good.

i only really realised this now, but the two groups look incredibly lopsided. but then i check the rankings and it kind of stacks up.

if NZ can beat india on sunday then it would be almost decided that they and pak go through.

image.png.82bd6e62a5eeb61361980428313946f0.png

1 hour ago, Vetplant said:

We've been lacking form for so long now, the last few matches is not really the yardstick to measure against, and neither is it a sign that we were peaking. It's the same thing come every WC tournament where we have this unrealistic expectation that we should win when we never even got the results leading up to the event. It's like we have battered wife syndrome with this team. Fortunately I've become emotionally disinvested in cricket a long time ago.

good naelskraap against SriLanka.

that narrow loss to Aus is probably going to count us out here though.

We have a game against Ban today, Eng Sat

If Australia beat Ban on thurs and WIndies sat, then we need to win both. 

but first win today.

3 hours ago, Dusty said:

The commentators are referring to the 'group of death'. The two groups do seem a bit lopsided.

I want to disagree but facts are preventing me from doing so... ;)

image.png.6fd0bc4c6af7d8907a89c7d20bc6ec8a.png

7 minutes ago, gemmerbal said:

I want to disagree but facts are preventing me from doing so... ;)

I want to agree with your disagreement Mnr Gemmer, as you’ve shown us.

4 hours ago, Shebeen said:

good naelskraap against SriLanka.

that narrow loss to Aus is probably going to count us out here though.

We have a game against Ban today, Eng Sat

If Australia beat Ban on thurs and WIndies sat, then we need to win both. 

but first win today.

job well done there I guess.

Would have been nice to see them try some england style attack at all costs and opened with miller or pretorious as a one off go for fireworks and run it down quickly.

Our RR is now +0.74, if we sneak a last over win over england it will remain pretty much that. (finishing  in 10 overs we would have been on +1.09)

If australia score par totals of 150 in their games against Ban + WI, they would need to bowl both out for about 100 each to overhaul us.

I don't see that happening, what will probably be the case is that australia will take these games and we will know that only a victory over england will be enough. sigh, that opening game.

On 10/28/2021 at 1:01 PM, Shebeen said:

I don't blame CSA for this one. Also the current CSA board can't be burdened with the k#k they have had to pick off the floor.

They have been taken to culture camps, had team discussions and time to work this out by themselves. instead we ended up with this, all so avoidable.

at the time, Darren Sammy sums it up perfectly.

The pair referenced de Kock's absence before Sammy expressed his disbelief at those who struggled to support antiracism. "Sometimes I don't understand why is it so difficult to support this movement if you understand what it stands for. That's just my opinion because of what my kind have been through. There are a lot of issues affecting the world, but I don't understand why it's so difficult."

I get that you are disappointed with Quinny and his actions last week. As am I. However to absolve CSA of any blame is more a reflection of how badly let down you are by Quinny than anything else. Remember that at the start of last summer the Proteas were given permission by CSA to show support to BLM by either taking the knee, raising a fist or standing to attention. CSA has been in such turmoil ito running the game (and trying to keep the administration out of government hands) it takes them months to realise the disunited nature such options shows the world. Instead of getting in touch with the team and sorting things out ahead of time they send what was essentially an ultimatum hours before a crucial match. The fact that CSA even admits that they were wrong in their timing shows (to me at least) that there was a lot of unhappiness amongst the other players as well, not just Quinny and I have to wonder how widespread that unhappiness might've been. The circumstances for the events of last week came from CSA and CSA definitely needs to take some of the blame, not all, with this although Quinny needed to his stance clear far far earlier than what he eventually did. That said I am hoping that this will be a watershed moment within our cricket and that it will lead to a much greater unity not only within the team but also our the rest of cricketing structures.

1 hour ago, Mntboy said:

I get that you are disappointed with Quinny and his actions last week. As am I. However to absolve CSA of any blame is more a reflection of how badly let down you are by Quinny than anything else. Remember that at the start of last summer the Proteas were given permission by CSA to show support to BLM by either taking the knee, raising a fist or standing to attention. CSA has been in such turmoil ito running the game (and trying to keep the administration out of government hands) it takes them months to realise the disunited nature such options shows the world. Instead of getting in touch with the team and sorting things out ahead of time they send what was essentially an ultimatum hours before a crucial match. The fact that CSA even admits that they were wrong in their timing shows (to me at least) that there was a lot of unhappiness amongst the other players as well, not just Quinny and I have to wonder how widespread that unhappiness might've been. The circumstances for the events of last week came from CSA and CSA definitely needs to take some of the blame, not all, with this although Quinny needed to his stance clear far far earlier than what he eventually did. That said I am hoping that this will be a watershed moment within our cricket and that it will lead to a much greater unity not only within the team but also our the rest of cricketing structures.

I still opine that the whole debacle was an effort to try and divert attention from the revelations at the SJN hearings. CSA is a shambles and they know it. 

2 hours ago, gemmerbal said:

I still opine that the whole debacle was an effort to try and divert attention from the revelations at the SJN hearings. CSA is a shambles and they know it. 

The stories from the players with credibility was heart breaking. I particularly felt for Ashwell Prince as I view him as one of the best to have represented our country. There's plenty to work on from that point of view. I agree with you regarding CSA. I've taken to referring to them as the Carelessly Silly Administrators given how things have gone in recent years. That said I am hoping that this new group will rise to the challenge of winning back our trust by showing us that they are competent and capable of running the game, otherwise headhunting Smith to help their reputation would prove to be a colossal waste of time and money. 

The person I have been most impressed with this past week has been Temba Bavuma. He has handled this incredibly well and shown immense leadership and diplomacy when it has been most needed. I can see why Quinny spoke so highly of him in his statement. England will be a big challenge but perhaps for once our guys can play with freedom given that most of us don't see them progressing past the group stage and score an unlikely upset victory over the Poms. I will still be keeping my fingers crossed that the Aussies somehow slip up against one or both of Bangladesh and West Indies but I'm not counting on it.