Cricket......

E1A104

42 minutes ago, l4y3rcake said:

I know a couple of the people on this list personally and can almost agree that without a gun against their heads this would never have happened. I also know a couple previous members who would have taken glee in this debacle.

Cool, we'll be here, patiently waiting to hear what the "inside source" says transpired in the relevant meeting. :)

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Cool, we'll be here, patiently waiting to hear what the "inside source" says transpired in the relevant meeting. :)

Unfortunately that would be detrimental to my wellbeing.

ps. comic sans.

Edited by l4y3rcake
No more comic sans!!!

51 minutes ago, l4y3rcake said:

Unfortunately that would be detrimental to my wellbeing.

ps. comic sans.

I simply love disclosing how Pres Rama reduced Arce Moegoeshule to tears as soon as he arrived before Moegoeshule’s tens-of-millions (I forget the exact amount) Free State farewell function.  “And here you sit crying while wasting R?? million on a party in a province with half of all the bucket toilets in South Africa!?”  From someone in the room: He’s done the same with Mabuza.   I hear that Ramaphosa behind closed doors is a LOT tougher than he seems.

Closer to topic: I also freely share accidentally seeing a minister of sport do a young male hotel worker in a linen room down a quiet passage while I was trying to find someone to explain how to get to the dining room from a rear hotel entrance.  Happened at the Marion on Nichol where five ministers, their wives and three other couples had hired the entire hotel for a Valentine’s weekend and I arrived to fetch a remote gate control from one of those couples.  Located the dining room where the minister’s wife was tucking into her lunch while her hubby tucked into a young lightie. ???????? Dirty beast.

Moral:  C’mon l43rcake, in the interest of truth.

Edited by justinafrika

5 minutes ago, justinafrika said:

I simply love disclosing how Pres Rama reduced Arce Moegoeshule to tears as soon as he arrived before Moegoeshule’s tens-of-millions (I forget the exact amount) Free State farewell function.  “And here you sit crying while wasting R?? million on a party in a province with half of all the bucket toilets in South Africa!?”  From someone in the room: He’s done the same with Mabuza.   I hear that Ramaphosa behind closed doors is a LOT tougher than he seems.

Closer to topic: I also freely share accidentally seeing a minister of sport do a young male hotel worker in a linen room down a quiet passage while I was trying to find someone to explain how to get to the dining room from a rear hotel entrance.  Happened at the Marion on Nichol where five ministers, their wives and two other couples had hired the entire hotel for a Valentine’s weekend and I arrived to fetch a remote gate control from one of those couples.  Located the dining room where the minister’s wife was tucking into her lunch while her hubby tucked into a young lightie. ???????? Dirty beast.

Moral:  C’mon l43rcake, in the interest of truth.

I worked with the 2 people on that list before they were involved in CSA. Don’t have any connection other than LinkedIn anymore. But from a professional opinion these are great people with good heads on their shoulders. I can’t see them supporting this mandate without some serious manipulation or personal consequences involved. 

Also worked with a couple that used to be on that list of “executives” a few years ago.

Unfortunately they have a lot of influence in my field of work so I wouldn’t have the “Quinny’s” to ask them for some inside scoops.

9 hours ago, l4y3rcake said:

I worked with the 2 people on that list before they were involved in CSA. Don’t have any connection other than LinkedIn anymore. But from a professional opinion these are great people with good heads on their shoulders. I can’t see them supporting this mandate without some serious manipulation or personal consequences involved. 

Also worked with a couple that used to be on that list of “executives” a few years ago.

Unfortunately they have a lot of influence in my field of work so I wouldn’t have the “Quinny’s” to ask them for some inside scoops.

So unlike QdK they relented and metaphorically bent the knee. 

Interesting. 

In many ways this whole BLM has turned around 180 degrees now. Funny that an I am absolutely sure that Kaepernik (sp) would support him. 

QdK is nigh on 29 years old. He still has options. Probably abroad. 

I have to admit, I am curious about QdK’s reasons for objecting. Is the action of kneeling that bothers him, or is it the connection to a political movement, ie he would have objected to an armband for example as well. 
I have never been in favour of the whole kneeling thing because it is so divisive. Why pick a gesture that many people have religious and patriotic/submissive connections too, just because some NFL player used it (while sporting the world’s best affro)? Or is it meant to be a divisive gesture to force people to take a stance? Personally I think it is achieving the opposite to the stated objective. Either way, I'm on team QdK for not letting CSA bully him.

Edited by Delarey

1 hour ago, Delarey said:

I have to admit, I am curious about QdK’s reasons for objecting. Is the action of kneeling that bothers him, or is it the connection to a political movement, ie he would have objected to an armband for example as well. 
I have never been in favour of the whole kneeling thing because it is so divisive. Why pick a gesture that many people have religious and patriotic connections to just because some NFL player used it (while sporting the world’s best affro)? Or is it meant to be a divisive gesture to force people to take a stance? Personally I think it is achieving the opposite to the stated objective. Either way, I'm on team QdK for not letting CSA bully him.

I caught the tail end of a radio interview with a SA journalist (missed hearing the name unfortunately) at the T20 WC.   He said that QdK regards kneeling as a trite gesture and is doing meaningful things (not elaborated) while rejecting any publicity for his endeavours.

Interestingly, there are a few black footie players who don’t kneel.  Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace refuses to do so as he believes the protest has lost any impact and is “degrading, I’d rather stand tall”.  Brentford’s Ivan Toney is another.  I understand the original intent of the gesture but I’m still struggling to get my head around CSA's monumental stupidity with this decision.  

I’d love to know how it was made as there are several people of distinguished legal standing and integrity on that board.

Edited by justinafrika

What is very interesting right now is the deafening silence on the matter from all involved in South African Cricket.

Dale Steyn and Faf dP, usually quite chatty on Social media when any Cricket is taking place, are keeping their lips shut. Best to see where this all lands before making a point on social media these days.

Meanwhile, on my social media timeline, I see more and more resistance to the mandatory nature of the directive from CSA compared to the amount of people cancelling QdK.

To use a sport appropriate metaphor, CSA has knocked over their own wickets here.

Let's see what the official statement on the matter is in a day or two, but my guess is they will need to compromise on the directive. Booting QdK from the squad due to his convictions will be completely idiotic, but it won't be completely surprising when looking at their recent history of daft decisions.

37 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Booting QdK from the squad due to his convictions will be completely idiotic, but it won't be completely surprising when looking at their recent history of daft decisions.

If this happens, will QDK have a case for unfair dismissal based on his personal believes, ala Israel Folau?

In terms of all the past monumentally idiotic decisions and statements made by South African sports governing bodies, sports ministers and politicians, this is not at all surprizing. 

Edit: There is a bright side though: They make Cycling South Africa look like geniuses.????????

Edited by DJR

1 hour ago, Bloumens said:

If this happens, will QDK have a case for unfair dismissal based on his personal believes, ala Israel Folau?

Abso damn lutely but it will never come to that as he would be paid according to his contract I believe. He won’t be “fired” in that sense. So no dismissal but he could have a case for match fees and incentives. Again CSA would capitulate as they would lose imho. Mixing politics in sport is frowned upon even though it happens all the time. 

4 hours ago, justinafrika said:

I caught the tail end of a radio interview with a SA journalist (missed hearing the name unfortunately) at the T20 WC.   He said that QdK regards kneeling as a trite gesture and is doing meaningful things (not elaborated) while rejecting any publicity for his endeavours.

Interestingly, there are a few black footie players who don’t kneel.  Wilfried Zaha of Crystal Palace refuses to do so as he believes the protest has lost any impact and is “degrading, I’d rather stand tall”.  Brentford’s Ivan Toney is another.  I understand the original intent of the gesture but I’m still struggling to get my head around CSA's monumental stupidity with this decision.  

I’d love to know how it was made as there are several people of distinguished legal standing and integrity on that board.

This squares from how I read his body language on the field towards his teammates of all races and what he generally puts out on social media. I generally get the impression that as from a moral point view that QdK definitely believes in treating everyone with decency and respect irrespective of race. Personally I am still waiting for Quinny to put out a statement regarding all this and until then I am going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt. He deserves as much from the cricketing world. 

I don't understand QdK's cause here.

11 aussies, both umpires and Temba took the knee before the opening game, QdK stood there like a nana making a point. What is the actual point he's trying to prove?

That Black Lives Matter doesn't matter?

I would have thought a globally travelling cricketer would be a bit more AWARE these days. Clearly this was a complete waste of time

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/proteas/proteas-settle-on-new-team-identity-after-skukuza-culture-camp-20200825

Kane gets it

4 hours ago, Vetplant said:

What is very interesting right now is the deafening silence on the matter from all involved in South African Cricket.

Dale Steyn and Faf dP, usually quite chatty on Social media when any Cricket is taking place, are keeping their lips shut. Best to see where this all lands before making a point on social media these days.

Meanwhile, on my social media timeline, I see more and more resistance to the mandatory nature of the directive from CSA compared to the amount of people cancelling QdK.

To use a sport appropriate metaphor, CSA has knocked over their own wickets here.

Let's see what the official statement on the matter is in a day or two, but my guess is they will need to compromise on the directive. Booting QdK from the squad due to his convictions will be completely idiotic, but it won't be completely surprising when looking at their recent history of daft decisions.

What you're missing here is that QdK took the decision not to play, not the other way around. He might have forced their hand in making it, but he was not alone. He could have ignored it.

While I never thought QdK was replaceable, I don't think it's as bad as you say. We have 3 keepers in the squad, all of them top quality. Dropping QdK for Reeza actually worked out ok yesterday. Not having Faf (and Chris morris) is probably a much bigger issue really.

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

I don't understand QdK's cause here.

11 aussies, both umpires and Temba took the knee before the opening game, QdK stood there like a nana making a point. What is the actual point he's trying to prove?

That Black Lives Matter doesn't matter?

I would have thought a globally travelling cricketer would be a bit more AWARE these days. Clearly this was a complete waste of time

https://www.news24.com/sport/cricket/proteas/proteas-settle-on-new-team-identity-after-skukuza-culture-camp-20200825

Kane gets it

I don't think New Zealanders have quite the "screw them we'll walk barefoot over the Drakensberg" stroomop gene than us South Africans (Afrikaners in particular) have. We share that gene with the Yanks, but Ausies and Kiwi's don't have it. There you make a rule and everyone just follows it. Both countries still have the Queen of England as head of state for crying out loud!

Personally, I think "taking a knee" is just a terrible symbol of support as it also has submissive connotations that don't sit well with many people - me included. People have equated this to an employer expecting their staff to dress in a certain way.I don't agree. I'll wear a uniform, wear a pin, armband, what ever. I'll also do a moment of silence. I doubt however if I will work long for a company if they expect me to kneel on command at certain times during the day. It's just a terrible choice of symbolism that has origins in the US with no connection to us.

Edited by Delarey