Cricket......

E1A104

It is an oddity that RSA doesn't really appreciate it's best cricketers. Smith one of the most successful openers/captains ever but splits opinion, Kallis on stats the greatest cricketer of all time but appreciated more outside SA, even Hashim for a long time half the country wanted Neil McKenzie instead! All of them need a bit of work on their personalities but in Australia they'd be running for President.

Apart from Hansie - everyone liked him.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is after the close of play, isn't it?

Its actually closer to the next days play if you want to be technical but I don't see what point you are trying to make

I don't see what point you are trying to make

You're questioning me on when he made this announcement. I merely quoted what dale posted about the time from Radio 2000.

Wow.

That was sudden.

no it wasn't not for me at least, I've been playing & following cricket for a long time to know when a captains reign needs to come to an end, yes he was brilliant & outstanding in his hey day but seriously anyone who had been following closely knows he was not on par for a long time. My respect for him has just multiplied 10 fold because he was man enough to call it quits at the right time. Edited by milky4130

That is after the close of play, isn't it?

I guess the public statement was after midnight

no it wasn't not for me at least, I've been playing & following cricket for a long time to know when a captains reign needs to come to an end, yes he was brilliant & outstanding in his hey day but seriously anyone who had been following closely knows he was not on par for a long time. My respect for him has just multiplied 10 fold because he was man enough to call it quits at the right time.

It is more apt to declare this at the end of Test series, not during.

Hence, I find this as sudden.

I found the news on FB at 10:30pm last night, then flipped to Supersport to check if true & there it was "BREAKING NEWS"

I'm guessing press release was at 10pm then.

Edited by milky4130

oh, last couple of captains (Strauss, Ponting) all did it during the ongoing test they were playing in at the time.

Im sorry to say, but This Australian team is showing why they will soon become the Worlds no 1 team again.

and again this is to his character...he wanted people to cheer him on as he steps out to bat at his home ground.........

and perhaps it is a last ditch effort for himself to salvage this game and produce a mammoth innings...if its his last knock perhaps he will concentrate like crazy to not go out

Judging by comments on sport24 et al I don't blame. We are so fickle and lack understanding as to how good a player and captain he has been.

Do you think in lets say New Zealand, they would criticize their captain, who has a superb international record, and led them to number one, who hasn't lost an away series in 5/6 years this way?

Did Ponting get this kind of abuse when, Aus under his watched slipped to number 5 or 6 in the world?

Do we, as supporters (South Africans) truly think we deserve to win or be the best all the time, oblivious to the talents of other players/countries?

Graeme, youwill always be a hero to SA cricket, well at least those with an appreciation and understanding for the sport.

As to the timing, perhaps it could galvanize the squad "Lets do it for Biff?"

firstly Smith was a great Captain in his time.

@Ponting, yes, he did, why do you think he retired.

New Zealand cannot be compared to the likes of SA, Oz or Eng hence they are not calling for their Captains head...yet.

You're questioning me on when he made this announcement. I merely quoted what dale posted about the time from Radio 2000.

I didn't question anything, I pointed out the article said he told them after play. You decided to try be funny and suggest 1h50am was after play, which it was, but rather a silly thing to say, with no real meaning behind it.

Im sorry to say, but This Australian team is showing why they will soon become the Worlds no 1 team again.

i have no doubt they will be no.1 again but they had to go away to rebuild that team & it took them a couple of years to get it right. Eng & SA also went through the same phase. And now it looks like SA will have to do it again with Smith & Kallis gone.

i have no doubt they will be no.1 again but they had to go away to rebuild that team & it took them a couple of years to get it right. Eng & SA also went through the same phase. And now it looks like SA will have to do it again with Smith & Kallis gone.

To many old players, who wont be around in 2 years time when and if they make number one.

Sidell, Harris, Rodgers, Haddin, Watson all well into their 30's.