Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Absolutely shocked to hear the news of Phil Hughes passing away! Thoughts and prays are with his family as well as Sean Abbott!

Pollie, on TweetieBird

Edited by Huez

wow, he was only 25, turning 26 on sunday. achieved a lot already. Will be interesting to see what his state captain,  our own Johan Botha, will bring to the story from our perspective.

http://i.imgci.com/espncricinfo/Phillip-Hughes.jpg

If a textbook technique was the sole criterion for a first-class opener then Phillip Hughes would be out of a job. But then, the same could have been said of the shuffling Simon Katich. The most important thing as far as Australia's selectors are concerned is that Hughes picks up plenty of runs from his country-baked technique, which includes compulsive slicing through point and slashing to cover, as well as stepping away to provide room for tennis-style drives down the ground. His perceived weakness against the short ball helped him in South Africa in 2009, when he used the pace of Dale Steyn and Morne Morkel against them and he was the youngest man to score a century in each innings of a Test when he managed the feat in Durban in his second Test. But after his stunning rise as the replacement for the retired Matthew Hayden, the fall was swift; after he was roughed up by Andrew Flintoff and failed at Lord's he broke the news of his dropping on Twitter. He remained the Test backup opener and in Wellington in 2010 he finished off the win with a brutal 86 off 75 balls. He replaced the injured Katich for three Tests of the 2010-11 Ashes and despite struggling, he finished the Shield season strongly and was first in line to become Shane Watson's full-time partner when Katich lost his contract. A third Test century arrived in Colombo in 2011 but later that year he could not stop edging Chris Martin of New Zealand and was again dropped. Returned to the side once more against Sri Lanka in 2012-13, Hughes struggled against spin on the Test tour of India that followed and although he played the first two Ashes Tests in England in 2013, he faced the axe again after a lean Lord's Test. The Australians hoped Hughes would live up to the promise he'd shown when at 19 he became the youngest to score a century in a Pura Cup final. He had debuted for his state at 18, after moving to Sydney from northern New South Wales, where he grew up on a banana farm. 
Brydon Coverdale

Edited by Shebeen

Hughes suffered extremely rare, freak injury to neck

Phillip Hughes was the victim of a freakish accident, the kind that is rarely seen in any sphere of life and has only once before been recorded as the result of being struck by a cricket ball.

When Hughes was hit in the neck by a ball during the Sheffield Shield match between New South Wales and South Australia at the SCG on Tuesday, one of the main arteries to his brain was compressed, and such trauma can often be immediately fatal. Hughes initially stood for a second or two before collapsing forwards onto the ground, as players rushed to his assistance and called for medical help.

"Phillip took the blow at the side of the neck and as a result of that blow his vertebral artery, one of the main arteries leading to the brain, was compressed by the ball," Peter Brukner, the Cricket Australia doctor, said on Thursday. "That caused the artery to split and for bleeding to go up into the brain. He had a massive bleed into his brain. This is frequently fatal at the time.

Full story here: http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/803763.html

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

So sad, so young.

A staunch reminder of how fragile life is. When I saw the video I didn't think it looked so serious.

R.i.P

Completely freak accident. Very rare complication, and honestly nothing that could be done. He could have copped another 1000 on the chin and not had that happen to him again. RIP to a talented player.

History records that only two men in almost 150 years have died as a result of being hit on the head by a cricket ball during a first-class match. 

It is a statistic which helps to explain the deep level of shock being felt around the cricket-playing world at the death of Philip Hughes.

It is a dangerous game, naturally. We learn that soon after we start playing it – and we are reminded often enough by teammates, opposition, school teachers and coaches - but not thatdangerous. Not death.

Neil Manthorp, Supersport website

As a cyclist, I think some sympathy should be spared for this guy and his family:

"In addition to the doping positives, the Astana Continental team was hit by the death of one of its riders in March.

Yerlan Pernebekov was in Ecuador with the squad, taking part in a training camp. He complained of a severe headache and was taken to hospital, but later passed away. It was determined that he had suffered a burst blood vessel, with this leading to a stroke."

could be the Australian cricket team; even to the doping although no one caught; recently.

Aus-India Test series:

(1st Test delayed)

The Adelaide Test has been confirmed as the first match of the Australia-India series and is likely to begin on December 9. The host broadcaster, Channel Nine, reported on Monday that the Adelaide Test would be brought forward by three days and the Brisbane Test would be shifted to second in the series, to begin on December 17.

It was a nice touch to see that the rugby games this weekend had a minutes silence for Phillip Hughes. Nice to see respect shown across sports.

new test squad for WIndies series which starts in 2 weeks time..Stiaan van zyl pretty much guaranteed a debut in the first game, but batting at #7

• Hashim Amla (capt), AB de Villiers (vice-capt), Alviro Petersen, Dean Elgar, Faf du Plessis, Stiaan van Zyl, Quinton de Kock, Vernon Philander, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Temba Bavuma, Kyle Abbott, Kagiso Rabada
  • In: Robin Peterson, Temba Bavuma, Kagiso Rabada
  • Out: JP Duminy, Dane Piedt, Imran Tahir, Wayne Parnell

History records that only two men in almost 150 years have died as a result of being hit on the head by a cricket ball during a first-class match. 

It is a statistic which helps to explain the deep level of shock being felt around the cricket-playing world at the death of Philip Hughes.

It is a dangerous game, naturally. We learn that soon after we start playing it – and we are reminded often enough by teammates, opposition, school teachers and coaches - but not thatdangerous. Not death.

Neil Manthorp, Supersport website

Talking about freak accidents, 2 in one week.... its not only the weather thats WTFlippin going on....

Cricket hit by fresh tragedy as umpire killed in freak accident

Cricket has been hit by another tragedy in the same week Australian Test star Phillip Hughes died as result as a result of injuries he received after being struck by a ball in a match in Sydney.

Hillel Oscar, 60, a former captain of the Israeli national team, was umpiring a match Saturday in his home town of Ashdod when he received an apparently fatal blow in a freak accident.....

"Midway through the first innings a ball was driven fiercely back towards the umpire (by the batsman).

"It hit the stumps and ricocheted but as Hillel tried to move out of the way the ball followed him and he was hit in the chest or just under the chin, it is still unclear exactly where.

"He collapsed immediately and according to witnesses who were there he may have had a heart attack."

Leigh said that the umpire was resuscitated by ambulance staff who were quickly on the scene, but he died later at a hospital in Ashdod.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/11/30/sport/cricket-israeli-umpire-hughes/

new test squad for WIndies series which starts in 2 weeks time..Stiaan van zyl pretty much guaranteed a debut in the first game, but batting at #7

• Hashim Amla (capt), AB de Villiers (vice-capt), Alviro Petersen, Dean Elgar, Faf du Plessis, Stiaan van Zyl, Quinton de Kock, Vernon Philander, Robin Peterson, Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel, Temba Bavuma, Kyle Abbott, Kagiso Rabada
  • In: Robin Peterson, Temba Bavuma, Kagiso Rabada
  • Out: JP Duminy, Dane Piedt, Imran Tahir, Wayne Parnell

My starting line-up:

1 Elgar

2 Amla

3 du Plessis

4 de Villiers

5 van Zyl

6 De Kock

7 Peterson

8 Philander

9 Steyn

10 Morkel

11 Abbott

So who else is watching the T20 tonight ? Bloody eishkom seems to have cut huge parts of the country off....thank god for generators