Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

More a study on how Aus has changed in between tournaments. Good article nonetheless.

that's what I said!

I didn't notice how the BIG three have conspired to have their own warmup tourney before the big thing starts proper. BUT it might backfire. The indians will have been down under for about 4 months by the time the final rolls around, they will start missing the curry.

17th Match: South Africa v West Indies at Christchurch - Mar 5, 1992

South Africa 200/8 (50/50 ov); West Indies 136 (38.4/50 ov)

South Africa won by 64 runs

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/65134.html

This was where the corner was turned as a loss probably would have put us seriously out of contention. The total was ok, but 200 was only just marginally more than the losing first innings figures posted against kiwis and SL. This was the WIndies of power, not the average unit we see these days – at least in the bowling dept with Ambrose and Marshall to put some poep in your broek.  

Once again Kirsey topscored (for the fourth consecutive match – and ja, he was originally not in the squad). But it was Meyrick “you digging my hair” Pringle who took the headlines with 4/11 off 8 overs. We smoked them, all out for 136.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/130300/130356.2.jpg

There are many things in life I don't understand that I have come to terms with. However, I will never, ever understand how Farhaan Berhardien makes it into our cricket team. 

He has been given far to many chances and just never performs.

Our lower middle order seems extremely suspect, and with that issue they will struggle to make it to the semis.

Once again it seems that the Durban rain will save our backsides.  Just make sure our captain knows his maths for DL.

that's what I said!

I didn't notice how the BIG three have conspired to have their own warmup tourney before the big thing starts proper. BUT it might backfire. The indians will have been down under for about 4 months by the time the final rolls around, they will start missing the curry.

I agree wrt India. Not sure Aus needs to be playing in this tri-series but England need the game time real bad. Last few series' have not been kind and the current group needs time to gel.

What do think will be our weakness this time? Methinks the lack of a proper all rounder. Parnell simply not good enough imho.

Our lower middle order seems extremely suspect, and with that issue they will struggle to make it to the semis.

Once again it seems that the Durban rain will save our backsides.  Just make sure our captain knows his maths for DL.

Bit negative dont you think...proven wrong in any case

!!!

101 Innings in which Hashim Amla got to 5000 ODI runs, the fastest for any batsman. He broke the previous record of 114 innings, jointly held by Virat Kohli and Viv Richards. Amla also holds the record for being the fastest to 2000, 3000 and 4000 ODI runs.

The average partnership between Amla and AB de Villiers in ODIs, the highest for any pair who have shared at least ten partnerships. They have scored 2473 runs in 33 innings. Amla and de Villiers posted a 99-run partnership for the third wicket in this

Bit negative dont you think...proven wrong in any case

Just calling a spade a spade.  As soon as Behardien and Duminy came in the whole innings fell apart.  Behardien must start to perform for us to have any chance.  We can't always rely on # & AB.

The WI were poor last night, throwing their wickets away.

Once again it seems that the Durban rain will save our backsides. Just make sure our captain knows his maths for DL.

I think the rain actually suited WI. I liked Miller at 5 and JP at 6. The only position in any doubt is the 7 position. We may as well play the extra bowler (Abbott or Phangiso) or if we are nervous about our top order, include Rossouw at 6 and then play JP at 7.

India, England, WI, Pakistan and Sri Lanka all have more questions to answer before the WC and most of these teams had much more cricket than us, so I don't think our selectors have done badly.

that's what I said!

I would agree...

I was watching a documentary from the 1992 WC, also in Aus, and India also spent a few months there. In hindsight they said it was a bad decision to be away from home for so long. Deja-vu?