Cricket......

E1A104

Still amazed that Albie is not in the side and hasn't been for some time.... Far lessor players have had much greater opportunity than he did! Look what he did in the Cobra vs Titan final just a few weeks ago! Yes, he is expensive if used as a death bowler, but he brings more to the table in both batting AND bowling than many of the players being discussed on this thread.

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are all missing the fact that we just might play Bangladesh in the quarters, if they manage an upset against NZ who might not care too much and could rest a few players for a game.

That would be superb.

As for the Squad,

I think playing with the batting line up now is stupid,

even though De Kock is struggling to put anyone else up to open is just gifting an early wicket to a decent attack.

Rossouw is the only other Opener and he has given up more ducks than anyone else in the squad.

For me personally Steyn have been the biggest disappointment of this tournament. Hopes he proves me wrong, but I think he is starting to feel his age.

Edited by Moridin

The allrounder issue is not a squad issue, but a player pool issue. We don't have any proper all rounders. MacLaren averages less than 20 with the bat in ODI's, Ontong hardly bowls these days. Robbie P maybe? Kemp? Thats going in the wrong direction in terms of bringing young talent through on 3 counts. Kallis would have been invaluable considering his form in the BBL, but we as SA public and media declared him too old, so he obliged and retired.

If QdK had form we could have played the extra bowler. AB seems our most likely option to share some overs with JP. Now will QdK bat at 1 or 7... Lets see...

I and no-one I know wanted him to retire..but then i'm not too up to speed about sport politics

For me personally Steyn have been the biggest disappointment of this tournament. Hopes he proves me wrong, but I think he is starting to feel his age.

It is comments like these that probably led to Kallis saying f-it, I'm off to play BBL and make a wad of cash. My money is on Steyn turning up the wick for the knock outs. 

It is comments like these that probably led to Kallis saying f-it, I'm off to play BBL and make a wad of cash. My money is on Steyn turning up the wick for the knock outs. 

I will probably be the happiest guy around if he proves me wrong.

However, it is now time that we move past the JK legacy.  To keep hanging on to it is to deny youngsters the chance to come in to their own and to create their own legacy because we keep on comparing anyone with promise to him, and that is unfair.

I doubt Steyn gives a rats ass what I think or feel about his game.

I will probably be the happiest guy around if he proves me wrong.

However, it is now time that we move past the JK legacy.  To keep hanging on to it is to deny youngsters the chance to come in to their own and to create their own legacy because we keep on comparing anyone with promise to him, and that is unfair.

I doubt Steyn gives a rats ass what I think or feel about his game.

Ahh,

but he will care when it is every second supporter starts talking the way you are.

This is the biggest problem in SA sport is that no one can stand behind a struggling player, hell even our captain deserves a klap for what he said the other day IMHO.

26th Match, Super Eights: South Africa v Sri Lanka at Providence - Mar 28, 2007

Sri Lanka 209 (49.3/50 ov); South Africa 212/9 (48.2/50 ov)

South Africa won by 1 wicket (with 10 balls remaining)

Scorecard | Commentary | Report | Article index (15) | Photo index (47)

Straight onto the Super Eights…and with Pakistan and india GONE it was looking a smoother road to the semis. Sri Lanka had some stars that day that are still producing their magic in 2015 – sangakara, jayawaderne, dilshan and Malinga. We had them on the ropes at 98/5 off 25 overs – Charl Langeveldt doing the business upfront– but then a solid 6th wicket partnership got them to 195 before the tail folded. Langeveldt finishing with an impressive 5/39, ntini and runouts getting 2 each.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73700/73758.jpg

jonty Gibbs gets a runout

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73700/73752.jpg

AB fell early, but Biff and JK took it to 100, and then Biff got stumped. Hersh came in and at 160/2 we needed 51 runs off 18 overs with 8 wickets left. GAME OVER (normally).

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73700/73769.jpg

We had this strong allround team balance back then. With Kallis, Kemp, Pollock, Hall, Petersen all decent with both bat and ball. We didn’t normally even need to worry about the short tail. Gibbs, Boucher(batting @ #5) and Kemp fell quickly, till Pollie and JK took us to the finish line. 4 runs required from 32 balls, with 5 wickets in hand. Then this happened.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73700/73777.jpg

End of over 44 (4 runs) South Africa 200/5 (10 runs required from 36 balls, RR: 4.54, RRR: 1.66)

·        

o    JH Kallis85 (108b 4x4)

o    SM Pollock7 (19b)

·        

o    WPUJC Vaas8-0-30-1

o    M Muralitharan10-0-34-3

Malinga to Pollock, no run, very full and straight, Malinga searching for the yorker, Pollock digs it out well, playing back down the pitch to the bowler

Malinga to Pollock, FOUR, too full and on the pads, Pollock has no problems moving across his stumps and flicking that away through midwicket, that went sweetly off the bat and once it beat the infield was four all the way

Malinga to Pollock, no run, once again yorker length, a slower ball though, Pollock gives himself room to hit but only manages to squirt the ball back down the pitch to the bowler

Malinga to Pollock, 2 runs, full and far outside the off, another shot flayed, the ball skews off the bottom edge down to third-man and a couple of more runs result

Malinga to Pollock, OUT, BINGO! Finally Malinga strikes, that is a superb bit of bowling. It's a slower ball on the stumps, Pollock just does not pick it, plays inside the line of the ball and loses his leg stump. Even with the game all but gone Sri Lanka are fighting. Pollock played a good hand but now he's gone!

SM Pollock b Malinga 13 (23m 24b 1x4 0x6) SR: 54.16

Malinga to Hall, OUT, ANOTHER! Andrew Hall goes off the very first ball! It's another speared-in yorker, Hall just about manages to dig it out, but he can't keep the ball down ... it bobs up into the air for the man at cover to pouch easily! Is there a twise left in this game

AJ Hall c Tharanga b Malinga 0 (2m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

End of over 45 (6 runs) South Africa 206/7 (4 runs required from 30 balls, RR: 4.57, RRR: 0.80)

·        

o   

o    JH Kallis85 (108b 4x4)

·        

o    SL Malinga8-0-49-2

o    WPUJC Vaas8-0-30-1

Vaas to Kallis, 1 run, fullish and outside the off, driven inside out towards cover, closer to the target ...

Vaas to Peterson, no run, very full, very straight, this one doesn't swing, it goes on with the arm, flick played and missed, rapped on the pad, loud shout for the lbw but that's clearly going down leg

Vaas to Peterson, no run, full and on the off stump, driven positively to the off side with a straight bat

Vaas to Peterson, no run, this one bends in sharply from outside the off, Peterson defends carefully with bat held close to pad

Vaas to Peterson, no run, another top ball from Vaas. This is really tight stuff. The ball comes in sharply in the air from outside th eoff stump, Peterson defends with bat close to pad. There's a stifled shout for the lbw but it's turned down

Vaas to Peterson, no run, another typically good Vaas ball, defended down to point, they won't try for the single and this will leave Kallis on strike

End of over 46 (1 run) South Africa 207/7 (3 runs required from 24 balls, RR: 4.50, RRR: 0.75)

·        

o    RJ Peterson0 (5b)

o    JH Kallis86 (109b 4x4)

·        

o    WPUJC Vaas9-0-31-1

o    SL Malinga8-0-49-2

Malinga on a hat-trick. What a funny little game this has been.

Malinga to Kallis, OUT, Would you believe it? Malinga has got the hat-trick! Full, furious, outside off stump, Kallis goes for a square-drive and nicks it behind. Loud appeal. Kallis stays rooted. Even louder appeal and Harper raises the fatal finger. SA eight down and choking real badly.

JH Kallis c †Sangakkara b Malinga 86 (187m 110b 4x4 0x6) SR: 78.18

Malinga to Ntini, OUT, And then they were one! Malinga gets four in four. Unbelievable! Screaming yorker and Ntini drives, plays all over it and ball crashes into the middle stump. Malinga is slinging down magic deliveries and SA are nine down.

M Ntini b Malinga 0 (2m 1b 0x4 0x6) SR: 0.00

Malinga to Langeveldt, no run, beaten Just kissed past the off stump. Tremendous nerves out there. Full and just outside off, yorker-length, Langeveldt pokes at it and gets beaten

Malinga to Langeveldt, no run, full, straight, on the off stump, pushed to mid-off. 3 to win from 20 balls. Camera pans to South Africa dressing room. They look stunned

Malinga to Langeveldt, 1 run, Jayasuriya mis-fields at squareleg and SA sneak in one run. SLower one, on the middle and leg, turned to behind square. Jayasuriya moves to his right but misfields.

Malinga to Peterson, no run, beauty, another delivery that teases the outside edge. Full and tailing away from off stump, drives and is beaten. What a fab over it has been.

End of over 47 (1 run) South Africa 208/9 (2 runs required from 18 balls, RR: 4.42, RRR: 0.66)

·        

o    RJ Peterson0 (6b)

o    CK Langeveldt1 (3b)

·        

o    SL Malinga9-0-50-4

o    WPUJC Vaas9-0-31-1

1 to tie and 2 to win. Only one wicket. It doesn't get closer than this. Slip in place. Mahela is making sure he gets the field right. Two slips in now.

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, fullish, just outside off stump, pushed to cover

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, beaten! Lands back of length, on the off stump line and shapes away, Langeveldt has a tentative poke - nervousness, can't blame him and is beaten

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, pushes it across Langeveldt who lets it go. He has taken the first three deliveries away. Will he bend the next one in?

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, off cutter, slanting away from the off stump, Langeveldt stretches forward, opens the bat-face, steers to point. Pure drama.

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, again another off cutter, around off stump, Langeveldt leans forward and defends. They were 206 for 5 staring at a win and what a turn around from there

Vaas to Langeveldt, no run, Beaten again. Another one that angles away from Langeveldt who pushes at it, bat meets air, ball heads to Sangakkara. Malinga to bowl the next over.

End of over 48 (maiden) South Africa 208/9 (2 runs required from 12 balls, RR: 4.33, RRR: 1.00)

·        

o    CK Langeveldt1 (9b)

o    RJ Peterson0 (6b)

·        

o    WPUJC Vaas10-1-31-1

o    SL Malinga9-0-50-4

One slip in place.

Malinga to Peterson, no run, Swing and a miss. What a cracking game this has been. Full and just outside off stump, slants away, he has a drive, but inside the line and the ball rushes past the outside edge.

Malinga to Peterson, FOUR, Peterson does it for SA with a edge past the slip. Fullish, outside off stump, Peterson drives, gets a outside edge and it runs down to third man boundary. SA have won. They nearly choked but have pulled it off. Peterson jumps in the air, pumps his fist and then smashes the stumps down at the other end. Immediately apologises! What a cracker of a game!

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/73700/73781.jpg

Charl Langeveldt and Malinga shared MotM award.

AB bowling in this game would point to him planning on bowling in the knockouts too.

Highlight Reel: "That moment when you realise AB has a better bowling average than Dale Steyn in ODI cricket. AB - 24.7 Dale - 25.6 Mind = blown"

Perhaps Ab's bowling today was more a showing of his unwillingness to keep??

I agree, I think Steyn will come good. Just needs the right stage that's all.

This CWC has definitely been more of a batters competition. All of the bowlers are taking stick while the average score is considerably higher than previous CWC's.

32nd Match, Super Eights: Ireland v South Africa at Providence - Apr 3, 2007

Ireland 152/8 (35/35 ov); South Africa 165/3 (31.3/35 ov, target: 160)

South Africa won by 7 wickets (with 21 balls remaining) (D/L method)

Scorecard | Commentary | Report | Article index (4) | Photo index (24)

Onto an Ireland side who were surprisingly in the Super Eights after beating Pakistan in the pools. An Ireland team that included Eoin Morgan and Boyd Rankin(both later poached by England). Rain shortened this match down to 35 overs each after pelting down twice during the Ireland innings. Their 152/8 was DL up to a target of 160.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74000/74073.jpg

morgan in green

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74000/74074.jpg

slip practice

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74000/74080.jpg

lots of rain

AB used to be mortal back then and fell for his second consecutive duck. Just like in the previous game, biff and JK took it up to halfway and then when Gibbs could repeat Ashwell prince joined JK to get us over the line. Comfortable win this one.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74000/74096.jpg

action smith

http://www.espncricinfo.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/74100/74102.jpg

going on this, here is what I think the team will be

http://www.espncricinfo.com/icc-cricket-world-cup-2015/content/story/848331.html

#

Rilee

Faf

AB

Miller

JPD

QdK

Vern

Steyn

MM

Immie

Agreed that's the way they gonna play against SL

.....my gripe with that is what happens if Vern(he'll def been on my starting lineup) pulls up after 4 overs cos hamstring injuries can just happen without any warning, Abbott is our leading wicket taker and has proved himself he deserves to be in the team he can be insurance for Vern and can be our 5th strike bowler. QDK needs to be dropped and make way for Abbott!

.....my gripe with that is what happens if Vern(he'll def been on my starting lineup) pulls up after 4 overs cos hamstring injuries can just happen without any warning, Abbott is our leading wicket taker and has proved himself he deserves to be in the team he can be insurance for Vern and can be our 5th strike bowler. QDK needs to be dropped and make way for Abbott!

yes! and give the gloves to Rilee, because if AB keeps, he'll need 4 and a half hours to complete 50 overs, not just 3 and a half. Who_needs_a_wicketkeeper_anyway

mind you... if AB keeps and we go over our overrate he'll solve the selection problem. Then Abbott can come in for AB, and we just have to hope that the extra bowler reduces our semi final opposition to below 200, because without AB, that's about the max I would want to chase. 

the way NZ are going, we might still end up playing bangladesh in the qfinal.

morne morkel is actually our leading wicket taker here, but obviously played more games. Abbott probably played himself out of the starting XI in the west indies home series, but he's really stood in well when required. 

The issue of AB not keeping is a tough one. if he can't keep and be captain then he shouldn't be captain. What's the point of having two world class keeper/batsmen if the one won't keep if the other is struggling? If QdK got injured then AB would keep, right? I'm pretty sure that if Ronchi was batting crap then Maccullum would take the gloves.