Cricket......

E1A104

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A worthy celebration for # and his 100th test.

Sure he's had a bit of a dip recently (people blame the Abbott/Philander selection for us losing the 2015 world cup (semi), when # and QdK failing with the bat was a much bigger issue - and captain AB bowling himself at the death didn't help).

But it's actually a huge compliment that joe public really think he should be dropped from Tests currently. He's got an iffy technique, that only really works for him and his amazing eye. He first made the side in 2005 for 3 games, didn't do too well but came back 18 months later and has been a permanent fixture ever since.

Let's look at the stats for last 10 innings for our batsmen, which is basically the last year of cricket.

Amla - 758 @ 44.5

Cook - 605 @ 43.21 (8 matches)

Elgar - 745 @ 46.56

JPD - 478 @28.11

FdP - 657@ 46.92

Bavuma - 515 @ 36.78

QdK - 825 @58.92

(FYI, stats can always be misleading and cherry picked, but for ABdV, who has not played test cricket for almost a year now, his last 10 games are ave @ 39.22)

they were talking on #polite enquiries during the 2nd test that maybe # should be dropped, but the cricinfo journo said no ways - we've spent way too much time researching stuff for his 100th game! and there is plenty there so go have a look.

Here's my 10things I love about #Amla

- That cover drive

- The calmness he goes about his job (AKA the peaceful warrior)

- The way he handled the Dean Jones 'terrorist incident' - (which was career ending for DJ as a commentator). He held no grudges against DJ for sillingly perpetuating a stereotype.

- The way he stood up to 'the man' when it came to not having Castle Lager logos on his shirt

- The way he took over as Test captain, albeit reluctantly, but then handed it over to AB when it wasn't working for himself or the team

- The way he came back from being dropped after a terrible start to his test career, worked on his technique and has dominated ever since. He's also added the hook to his repertoire, never used to play it.

- that golden run from 2010 to 2012 when he averaged at over 70 for 20+ games

- including the 311*, which remains the Protea's top score. Scored during Ramadan where he chose not to publicly drink water during his 13 hour innings.

- his transition from a 'Test only' player to a highly effective limited overs opener.

- that leg side flick

You missed out his on drive. Now that is a beaut of a stroke!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

Hash is either digging in deep for a super long innings or else he is struggling. Still stuck on 6 from 37 deliveries!

You missed out his on drive. Now that is a beaut of a stroke!

only had space for 10...should maybe do a list of a 100 rather!

50 up for #!

Took a while! Hopefully his good luck will also rub off on Bavuma so he can get a decent score again.

Pradeep to Amla, FOUR, whistled through the covers, that is tremendous timing, to bring up the 200 partnership

He moves on to 90

His last 10 innings have come at an average of only 19.6

I think it was always a case of him needing one proper knock to get his confidence back. He has accelerated nicely through his innings! Holding thumbs he gets a hundred in his hundredth match!