Cricket......

E1A104

I'm in two minds. He seems to enjoy batting lower down and being freed up to bat aggressively. It also seems to focus the lower order to stick around. The only reason to promote him would be if we decide to play an extra bowler, as the likely player to lose out would be either Duminy or Bavuma.

And Both didn't raise their hands today

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hampshire believe they are on the verge of securing the services of Kyle Abbott on a long-term deal as a Kolpak registration, despite his recent success at international level with South Africa.

Abbott, a member of South Africa's Test team currently playing Sri Lanka in Cape Town and a key performer in the series victory over Australia, is understood by ESPNcricinfo to have agreed a three or four-year deal with Hampshire that will realistically end his international career.

While Abbott is believed to have agonised over the move for some time - Hampshire remain fearful he could change his mind over a deal agreed some weeks ago having belatedly enjoyed a run in the Test team - he is expected to announce his international retirement later this month. Cricket South Africa are not understood to be aware of the deal.

Seems like SL is making a hash of this...great bowling from the SA guys giving them not a lot to work with, but thus far they are giving their wickets away

58/1 to 100/7

Poof!

***and the Newlands crowd with their Gautengeleng guests orders more beer***

Correct. Also Ali Cook is captain of the Test team which is strange but I still haven't read the article on Cricinfo so don't quite know the reasons behind the selection choices.

Edit: article doesn't shed any light on the selection choices other than to say it's based on performances from September last year to September this year.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

team should be announced early October, makes no sense to call it calendar year team when there is so much cricket over Xmas break.

Other interesting one us Voges who has been dropped from the Aussie team but is now selected for the world XI

I know the modern thinking is not to enforce follow on, but in this case I think it would have been worth it

Poor batting display from SL, no discipline from a lot of the senior players. Not to take away from the good bowling we did today!

I just read an article on cricinfo about him going on about staying local and making opportunities to play for your country. How old is Abbott now.. Seems early to retire

I know the modern thinking is not to enforce follow on, but in this case I think it would have been worth it

I have to agree. That said.. They could bat through to just before tea tomorrow and leave them a target of 500 plus Edited by Stretch

long season ahead for rsa with a lot of tests being played. no reason tire out your bowlers just because you like a innings win. it just gives your bowlers and keeper a proper rest.

edit:

it did not take a lot of overs to get the 10 sticks, but the wind did tire out the guys a bit i think

Edited by Bad Hombre

You don't score any additional points ito ICC rankings if you enforce a follow-on. You do however afford your bowlers a well earned rest, deny the opposition bowlers an extended break and eliminate the possibility of batting last. The pitch was not overly lively, so with better shot selection, Sri Lanka could have kept our bowlers out in the field for 5 or 6 sessions. Our batsmen have an opportunity to bat with little score board or time pressure. It may assist a struggling Amla in particular.

Then there is the very supportive Newlands crowd who have been coming through the gates in their droves. I'm sure a good gate and big crowds is not a factor in the decision making, but it is always good to see nearly full stands for test matches. It would have been a pity if it was all over by lunch time today.

Agree with not enforcing the follow on. You don't want to give Herath a sniff on a 4 and 5th day crumbling NL wicket.

Personally I agree with you gents but there is no harm at looking at our middle order stocks and seeing what talent is available. That said I reckon # will find a way out of his currently indifferent form and start making stacks of runs again. He will have the second innings of this test and perhaps the remainder of the series in which to do so. The time at the crease today will have been a help to his confidence levels.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

# is really struggling. His avg is nose diving badly, from one of the best in the world to good. Maybe he needs a bit of a break?

And Duminy doesn't fail to disappoint. Guess he will make place for AB, unless that upsets the political balance of the team. Let's see ...

When AB comes back the only change that makes sense to me is to drop Duminy. He doesn't bowl anymore, so to keep him in the team as a batsman only doesn't make sense. As you said, he avg's a little more than 30. Dunno why they moved him up to 4

So what's your guys take on qdk at 7? It is kind of working.. But.. He always runs out of partners... Let's see how much support Kyle and Vern give him tomorrow

For now the balance is good. Our openers are doing ok, and once you replace Duminy with AB the side will be even better. Batting at 7 allows Quinny some time to rest after wicket keeping duties.