Cricket......

E1A104

I'm really relieved to see the change to reviews. If it's umpires call, you doing lose it anymore. I always thought this was an obvious tweak, just took ICC a while to come round

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maharaja has been deceptively dangerous.

Rabadaaaaa looking sharp and feisty after a mixed England tour - he's still looks like he's Grade 10.

Good to see the Tigers doing relatively well on a pitch that is anything but home. The steep bounce has been a real test for the diminutive spin-trained batters.

This is just my humble opinion: I cannot take a win result serious against the Tigers..............although they have made huge improvements to their own game, I believe we can only really measure ourselves against more quality teams..................(no disrespect meant to the Tigers..........). Our bowling was not that much on point. Fielding could improve as well.....dropped catches. Look at how we bombed against England................

I'm really relieved to see the change to reviews. If it's umpires call, you doing lose it anymore. I always thought this was an obvious tweak, just took ICC a while to come round

The new rules actually all make sense.

Bat thicknesses are now being limited, looking at you David Warner. The new "Umpires Call" rule is great, as DRS was introduced to eliminate howlers, not 50/50 calls. The bouncy bat run-out syndrome has also now been fixed, which I think is great - the batter made their ground for goodness sake. And also the dead ball off a helmet rule - introduced in the 80's when people thought there was a conspiracy to use the helmet to create more chances *eyeroll*.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

This is just my humble opinion: I cannot take a win result serious against the Tigers..............although they have made huge improvements to their own game, I believe we can only really measure ourselves against more quality teams..................(no disrespect meant to the Tigers..........). Our bowling was not that much on point. Fielding could improve as well.....dropped catches. Look at how we bombed against England................

We should definitely win this series at a canter but still it was good to see that certain improvements were made since our last series. Agree with you that we should measure ourselves against better opponents and we'll get that chance against India and Aus later in the season. For now the main points should be to keep up the good batting form we saw during the first test and improve on our fielding especially the catching. Maharaj would've had a 10 fer if not for the trips.

And on Maharaj, he now has 50 wickets from 12 tests which is the fastest for a SA spinner since re-admission.

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk

We should definitely win this series at a canter but still it was good to see that certain improvements were made since our last series. Agree with you that we should measure ourselves against better opponents and we'll get that chance against India and Aus later in the season. For now the main points should be to keep up the good batting form we saw during the first test and improve on our fielding especially the catching. Maharaj would've had a 10 fer if not for the trips.

And on Maharaj, he now has 50 wickets from 12 tests which is the fastest for a SA spinner since re-admission.

Agreed. I can imagine how tough the England tour was with the uncertainty in terms of the coach's future. Say what you like, but things like that always play a role. The new coach can now start to tick the boxes and identify the areas he need to work on with players and work out a plan for each player. I am sure that his approach differs greatly from Domingo's, so a 'soft' series at home will help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The new rules actually all make sense.

Bat thicknesses are now being limited, looking at you David Warner. The new "Umpires Call" rule is great, as DRS was introduced to eliminate howlers, not 50/50 calls. The bouncy bat run-out syndrome has also now been fixed, which I think is great - the batter made their ground for goodness sake. And also the dead ball off a helmet rule - introduced in the 80's when people thought there was a conspiracy to use the helmet to create more chances *eyeroll*.

GOOD NEWS EVERYONE!

oh wow, that is good to read. interesting about not topping up at 80 overs either.

I would really like to see the stats on individual umpire performance now that we have got reviews. surely there must be good data on who is getting it right, and i'm including all calls not just those reviewed.

"For boundary catches, airborne fielders making their first contact with the ball will need to have taken off from within the boundary, otherwise a boundary will be scored. "

This was also an obvious one for me. was just waiting for some clever fielder to run into the stands, jump catch, return and land. save six runs.

http://p.imgci.com/db/PICTURES/CMS/227800/227831.3.jpg

In one hand, Barry Richards holds the bat with which he made 325 in a day for South Australia against Western Australia in November 1970. In the other, he holds the bat David Warner is using in the Adelaide Test this week.

The vast discrepancy in equipment shocked Richards when he saw the two bats alongside one another for the first time, and has added impetus to his calls for bat technology to be reined in in order to create a better balance between bat and ball and also avoid serious injury to bowlers, umpires or fielders.

This is an interesting article on Maharaj. http://www.sacricketmag.com/maharaj-living-up-to-the-hype/

The comparison with Warne is damned interesting because if he keeps it up he could theoretically prove to be our own Murali/Warne and he'll definitely surpass the great Hugh Tayfield! And he is yet to play a test in the dustbowls of the Subcontinent!

This is an interesting article on Maharaj. http://www.sacricketmag.com/maharaj-living-up-to-the-hype/

The comparison with Warne is damned interesting because if he keeps it up he could theoretically prove to be our own Murali/Warne and he'll definitely surpass the great Hugh Tayfield! And he is yet to play a test in the dustbowls of the Subcontinent!

comparison to Warne!! jislaaikit JC, could maybe have added that warne had a rocky start to his career. I don't see many batsmen getting compared to Hash when starting their careers!

It doesn't take much to be SA's greatest spinner, uh mean on that shortlist we have somehow got 80 tests for bodge and harry combined.

Challenging him for the spot is Dane piedt who has played 7 tests, but all before quite a serious injury. Then there is Simon Harmer who has played 5, but is now a kolpak player  - and sits 2nd on the county wicket's column - 72 wickets @ 19 average!

comparison to Warne!! jislaaikit JC, could maybe have added that warne had a rocky start to his career. I don't see many batsmen getting compared to Hash when starting their careers!

It doesn't take much to be SA's greatest spinner, uh mean on that shortlist we have somehow got 80 tests for bodge and harry combined.

Challenging him for the spot is Dane piedt who has played 7 tests, but all before quite a serious injury. Then there is Simon Harmer who has played 5, but is now a kolpak player - and sits 2nd on the county wicket's column - 72 wickets @ 19 average!

You don't see the comparisons between other batsmen and Hash early on for a reason. There was little to show from his first few tests that he would be the player he is now. One could see the temperament was there but it wasn't backed up by numbers until a last chance saloon series against NZLD where he but donnered the black caps in a series that Steyn dominated with the ball. That Maharaj is being compared to Warne should indicate how good he could become.

Bodge and Harry were steady as she goes type bowlers not real wicket takers imho unlike Maharaj, Piedt and Harmer who are. There is a part of me that would love to see Maharaj and Piedt bowl in tandem. I think that they would make a handy pairing. Losing Harmer to a Kolpak deal does smart as that would've greatly strengthened our bowling stocks!

You don't see the comparisons between other batsmen and Hash early on for a reason. There was little to show from his first few tests that he would be the player he is now. One could see the temperament was there but it wasn't backed up by numbers until a last chance saloon series against NZLD where he but donnered the black caps in a series that Steyn dominated with the ball. That Maharaj is being compared to Warne should indicate how good he could become.

Bodge and Harry were steady as she goes type bowlers not real wicket takers imho unlike Maharaj, Piedt and Harmer who are. There is a part of me that would love to see Maharaj and Piedt bowl in tandem. I think that they would make a handy pairing. Losing Harmer to a Kolpak deal does smart as that would've greatly strengthened our bowling stocks!

it's just a stupid comparison. Warne was a total ripper surfer oke in his early 20s, and played for 15 years. our okie is nothing like that.

even more stupid is how wrong it is. you could say that Maharaj is better!

after 12 tests

Warney - 39 wickets @ 28

Kesh -  50 @ 26

warney "bowled shane" 8 in his next game.

he also started with an average of 228 from his debut series.

JC is a rugby scribe, just because our boks run up cricket scores doesn't make him an expert all of a sudden

Edited by rider#35

it's just a stupid comparison. Warne was a total ripper surfer oke in his early 20s, and played for 15 years. our okie is nothing like that.

after 12 tests

Warney - 39 wickets @ 28

Kesh - 50 @ 26

JC is a rugby scribe, just because our boks run up cricket scores doesn't make him an expert all of a sudden

That's why I said it is a indication of how good he could become. I realise Maharaj is not exactly a youngster no more but he does have potential. Another reason the comparison fails is due to the fact he and Warne are different types of spinners with largely differing roles. But again I don't think that it's unfair too say that KM is the best spinner we have had by a long way since re-admission, his numbers indicate this currently. Let's bear in mind that the next test series post Bangladesh is against India and it should be a better barometer of where KM is in his progression as a bowler. Normally so would an Australian series but the Aussies have not that great against spin for a while now so there won't be much in that to help judge his progression. Then post that will be his first series on the Subcontinent against SL. That would also serve as a barometer of his progression. Right now, to me, he has adjusted well to playing test cricket and has produced the goods to show that he isn't just in the side to rotate out the quicks and to block an end. He's genuine wicket taker too.

Will he ever be as good as Warne or Murali? Probably not but if he keeps his standard of play as high as he has, I reckon he could significantly raise the tally of the most wickets taken by a Saffer spinner to way past Tayfield's record!

after 12 tests

Warney - 39 wickets @ 28

Kesh -  50 @ 26

Kesh is a good spinner and a easy selection all things considered. 

But go have a look at a chap called Shuan von Berg.

He is widely regarded as the best spinner (and that can bat very well) in the country. 

i really hope he gets a shot. 

looking quite interesting at Sunfoil series currently, after 2 rounds (6 matches) there's been 6 draws. out of a possible 240 wickets, only 145 have fallen. Despite lots of declarations but no results yet. Sign of our pitches getting flat, batsmen improving, bowlers deteriorating or combination of all three?

also interesting in that JonJon Smuts tops both the batting and bowling lists!

Kesh is a good spinner and a easy selection all things considered. 

But go have a look at a chap called Shuan von Berg.

He is widely regarded as the best spinner (and that can bat very well) in the country. 

i really hope he gets a shot. 

dunno if it will happen. batting average is higher than his bowling which is true allrounder territory! he's 31 already, and been on the scene for 8 years already. he didn't get the nod when harmer/piedt/kesh have all been in the team, so will really have to do something special to get ahead of Kesh now.

Proteas off to a flying start. Centuries for both openers, a run rate of 4.6 runs per over and that after being sent in to bat by [emoji1042]...

Proteas off to a flying start. Centuries for both openers, a run rate of 4.6 runs per over and that after being sent in to bat by [emoji1042]...

The official reason was "pitch looks quite green and want my seamers to exploit it"

wonder if nasser is enjoying this one