Ramp test like you said makes you dig deeper and since its a max effort test then this is the preferred way. 20min some people ease into it or try to max out at the end. do a ramp rest the time you took to do then do a 3min max rest then a 30s. those numbers will give a good indication of your FTP scores.
If the technology is there to use lets use it. I know i am wrong but listen me out here: To me anything that is Performance enhancing must be banded then. 12 speed bikes should go then. Your supplements on and off the bike that enhances your performance should go then. . If epo and the lot is performance enhancers why not use it? if you can build a safe bike as light as you want allow it. If we want to use stuff in our bottles to make us race harder faster or recover better why not use the best stuff!
I would like a whole new set of race venues. these guys know these tracks of by hart and can train and prep bike accordingly way in advance. I would like to see them going to Brazil,Portugal,NZ,China, Scotland totally new venues. spice it up a bit.
Proteas get 60-75k per test 20-30k per one day. Rugby 30-50k per test. its a tough debate on the payment athletes get if you have to put it into working hour compared to a CEO or CA. but each to its own. if the incentive was not big enough the athlete would not have pitched up.
The Pipeline of South African Cricket is masked by selling dreams to players who know they are not good enough but willing to play for the nice pay check. Vision 2019 is an excuse to field players that writes letters to governing bodies about opportunities but cant handle opportunity at the lower level of play. we are playing at 40% while the other 60% plays overseas. If players turn their back on you and win games somewhere else you are losing out not them. There is a lot of money put to develop young players but they players don't want to get to the top because then they can fail. playing franchise cricket or first class cricket keeps them in teams longer with guarantee play,income and free accommodation and student fees. a csa contract for them is the end of the road. so why get better? Vision2019 needs to revised to a more honest and realistic approach.