Cricket......

E1A104

Yes you did say hopefully ;)

The elephant in the room is this: with the 6 franchise system and the mandatory transformation targets that are in place, we lost a lot of quality players because there simply was not room for them in the system - i hate dragging politics into the conversation but on this point i dont see how i can avoid it. So maybe, on that basis, we will have these guys in the system because Kolpak wont be an option anymore; you make a good point there. In fact, if this pans out to be the case, maybe we will see the new system produce a bigger pool of decent cricketers - again you make an excellent argument for this. But yes, the finances, that is the one thing that needs serious attention. And it starts by having QUALIFIED administrators running the game, not politicians.

Yeah the Conway example perhaps not the best one but one does hope that an expanded system would allow a guy like that to blossom now that they might gain some game time. Similarly one hopes that a guy like Duvipillon (not sure I'm getting his surname correct) would get more of an opportunity to press a claim for higher honours. I know he was in the selection frame last season and has done well when given the chance to play this season. And again a similar story with the players given a chance under the transformation policies. I really do hope that many will take the opportunity to put in decent performances to put pressure on the guys currently in the SA squad. Just to give an example Qeshile has 239 runs @ 29.88 with a highest of 97 for this season. Not really enough to unseat Verreyne as the second choice keeper or to unseat Bavuma (100 runs @ 33.33 but that 71 goes a long way to showing some decent red ball form, although more is required and I like the comments he made pre the ongoing test) from his place in the test side. Petersen would be a more likely bet given his 346 runs @ 49.43 with a highest of 173* - the reason he made into the enlarged squad for this tour initially. So I guess what I am saying is that I would like to see the selectors communicate and stick to a set of standards. Something I'm sure we would all like to see. 

To quote the Beach Boys regarding qualified, competent administrators - Wouldn't that be nice!!!!

• Replies 11.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and we're back

And he probably thought he got away with it, surprise, surprise!  Not so easy these days with all the cameras to get away with that type of shlt.

And he probably thought he got away with it, surprise, surprise!  Not so easy these days with all the cameras to get away with that type of shlt.

Sh$thousery... ah, the gentleman's game hey...

Enjoyed that draw. Just love the long game. The finale at the Gabba is gonna be interesting.

The Indian team have been away from home in a biosecute environment for almost 5 months. That he just hectic. And without King Kohli, as well as the 36 all out in the first test. This makes this draw extraordinary.

Draws are rare. Very rare.

Enjoyed that draw. Just love the long game. The finale at the Gabba is gonna be interesting.

The Indian team have been away from home in a biosecute environment for almost 5 months. That he just hectic. And without King Kohli, as well as the 36 all out in the first test. This makes this draw extraordinary.

Draws are rare. Very rare.

indeed mate! and a huge injury list, they ended up on the winning side of this draw

sets it all up nicely

ENG, chasing 74 to win in the 4th against Sri Lanka, find themselves in a pickle at 14/3 losing Root to a silly run-out.

At Fortress Gabba, 4th and final test:

Shardul and Washington, two debutants, with a century plus partnership and absorbing tons of pressure from a pressing Australian team.

Fantastic stroke play on the highlights reel. The depth in Indian cricket is just remarkable. The hosts just cannot get away and into a match-winning position.

What will day 4 hold?

India need 69 more runs, with 15 overs left to play... 259/4

What to do...? Both sides need to decide: Do we go for the series win or for the series draw?

(EDIT: Updated with latest score)

Edited by Vetplant

India need 69 more runs, with 15 overs left to play... 259/4

What to do...? Both sides need to decide: Do we go for the series win or for the series draw?

(EDIT: Updated with latest score)

There's variable bounce and a couple of cracks.

The Aussie speedsters will have sore backs, toes en alles bringing Nathan Lyon and maybe Steve Smith into the spinning fray.

India will look to get within 30 and then go 20/20 style.

Washington and Shardul yet to bat after their century plus stand in the 1st innings.

What an advertisement for Test Cricket, this series has been.

There's variable bounce and a couple of cracks.

The Aussie speedsters will have sore backs, toes en alles bringing Nathan Lyon and maybe Steve Smith into the spinning fray.

India will look to get within 30 and then go 20/20 style.

Washington and Shardul yet to bat after their century plus stand in the 1st innings.

What an advertisement for Test Cricket, this series has been.

Agarwal falls!

63 needed of 13 Overs, 5 wickets in hand. 

RRR: 4.8 

Still very doable from a batting perspective.

AUS should now switch to negative bowling tactics IMHO...

6 runs from this last over...

55 required off 66 balls, 5 wickets remaining.

Run-a-ball should be doable, if INDIA wanted to.

Edited by Vetplant

Lyon keeping the pressure with just two runs in his over.

Batmen might try to get the runs from the pace bowlers.

Thrilling end.

53 needed off 10