WOW

Jono Waddell

Finally managed to get me a new set of wheels. I upgraded from a set of Shimano RS10 that came with my original bike to a set of dimpled Zipp 404. OMG what a difference. I now understand what a difference a good wheelset makes.

Finally managed to get me a new set of wheels. I upgraded from a set of Shimano RS10 that came with my original bike to a set of dimpled Zipp 404. OMG what a difference. I now understand what a difference a good wheelset makes.

thumbup1.gif Zipps are mighty fast, I was also blown away by the difference. You might want to keep those clinchers for training on though. As you know the bike will drop about 700 grams when you go to race and you'll really feel the difference when it counts the most.

thumbup1.gif Zipps are mighty fast, I was also blown away by the difference. You might want to keep those clinchers for training on though. As you know the bike will drop about 700 grams when you go to race and you'll really feel the difference when it counts the most.

just make sure you've got something in there for the punctures, hey Luke? :D

Also acquired a set of ZIPP 404 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers. They are serious wheels.

I agree with Luke on the training wheels comment, but aren't the ZIPP's for enjoyment as well? Its so much more pleasurable to ride with them.

You only live once!

post-5627-0-20140700-1320936894.jpg

Edited by Zula

Also acquired a set of ZIPP 404 Firecrest Carbon Clinchers. They are serious wheels.

I agree with Luke on the training wheels comment, but aren't the ZIPP's for enjoyment as well? Its so much more pleasurable to ride with them.

You only live once!

Th wheels won't life forever though :unsure: .... save them for racing :thumbup:

You only live once!

Nice even with the saddle bag. ;).

So what we are saying is that I can blame me being so damn slow on my wheelset ? :lol: and that if I buy a set of these zipp 404's I'm gonna go like a boeing

Th wheels won't life forever though :unsure: .... save them for racing :thumbup:

Why not?

The braking surface is carbon not ali

Carbon does fatigue over time....

Differing views over that statement. Some say yes others say no.

The braking surface is not in fact pure carbon like the rest of the wheel, but a carbon resin. That's why ZIPP took so long to come out with a carbon clincher because all the other carbon clinchers on the market were 100% carbon including the braking surface. Carbon braking surfaces are notorious for overheating and being inconsistent when braking.

Yes it may not last a lifetime, but Im pretty sure it will last one helluva long time. that being said, ultimately I will use my old wheels for training rides and these for the longer training rides and races. Just really excited now and wanna use them all the time :)

Just really excited now and wanna use them all the time :)

That's why I leave my Cosmic Carbone SLR's at my folks place in their wheel bags.. the temptation to use them for training is just to much... :lol:

Hey, if you enjoy them and can afford to replace them if you crash or pothole them, why not ride them all the time. Most insurance companies don't charge a reduced premium if you use a bike only for races (I checked a while back).

There is one downside to training with deep sections, but whether it matters depends on how seriously you take things and how you measure your training performance. If you keep training at the same speeds as before, you will get less training effect with deep sections. You need to increase speed to get back to the same intensity (though this can be difficult if you train in a group that dictates the speed to you). With increased speed, you'd also need to increase mileage to ensure you have the same time at intensity.

Hey, if you enjoy them and can afford to replace them if you crash or pothole them, why not ride them all the time. Most insurance companies don't charge a reduced premium if you use a bike only for races (I checked a while back).

There is one downside to training with deep sections, but whether it matters depends on how seriously you take things and how you measure your training performance. If you keep training at the same speeds as before, you will get less training effect with deep sections. You need to increase speed to get back to the same intensity (though this can be difficult if you train in a group that dictates the speed to you). With increased speed, you'd also need to increase mileage to ensure you have the same time at intensity.

Agreed with you on both your comments. The wheels are insured regardless. So if there is the unfortunate pothole, then its covered.

You are 100% correct about the downside to training with good wheels. That's another reason why I know long term its not the way to go and Ill have to use my old wheels for training.