Wine 2 Wales called off

Mackie

<TROLL>

So now it's official:

MTBers are bigger woesies than roadies.

</TROLL>

:o :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stir, stir.

After my initial shock at the news yesterday morning, I believe the comms made the correct call. The comparison to the Trans Baviaans is unfair as the route was ruled out way in advance of the race.

Roadies in snow..

Stuff of legend…

post-1604-0-33380600-1321244256.jpg

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As a hardened MTBiker I believe they made the correct decision. This morning as part of my DC training, I did the 4 passes 163km loop (Sir Lowy’s Pass, Viljoen's Pass,Franshoek Pass and Hells Hoogte Pass).The rains was relentless. Its was absolutely freezing out there with lots of snow on Franshoek Pass and the rest of the mountain range. My hands was dead and I had difficulty using the controls to change gears and brake.

The W2W is not just about the pro mtb racers and the back markers would have been placed at serious risk if the race did continue.

Also the conditions would have hampered any possible rescue operation if required and it would have been near impossible for the race organizers to get rescue personnel to the riders if required.

Without a doubt they made the correct decision.

Geez, this is hardcore. I looked out the window and thought no today will definately be a rest day!

Thank god Andy had those faceguards. My brother was doing W2W and he reckoned cancelled cause the medics couldn't get to riders if they needed to.....

Thank god Andy had those faceguards. My brother was doing W2W and he reckoned cancelled cause the medics couldn't get to riders if they needed to.....

That is crap! Why don't they use 4 wheelers to get to the injured riders? No excuses!!

I noticed that lots of people who does W2W, or Epic or J2C, have lots of money and they moan too much!

Just do it! They could have more check-ups points and make sure the riders are okay or not!

According to Neethling rider safety will always be the main concern. “The heavy rain experienced in the area would have compromised medical crew response en route. Rider safety on the route itself could also not be guaranteed. We tried to change the course as much as possible to ensure rider safety, however cancelling Stage 3 still remained the best decision on the day. <br style="color: rgb(135, 135, 135); font-family: Arial; line-height: 12px; text-align: left; ">

"We realise that it’s a mountain bike race, but it’s also not an extreme challenge and our main concern remains to get our riders home safely. The decision was taken in consultation with the route directors, disaster management, and the medical and rescue teams appointed for the event”, says Neethling.

<br style="color: rgb(135, 135, 135); font-family: Arial; line-height: 12px; text-align: left; ">

Obviously they wanted to go ahead but without knowing the details this seems over cautious. Don't know the details because they are so airy fairy with this press release. I would like to see more details on the specifics of the decision, and why it was taken away from the riders.

Dangerous course? that can only be slippery downhills due to the mud or maybe flooded river crossings. They don't seem keen to elaborate.

No medical access? I think this route would have to be one of the most accessible in the country.

I do hope the cold has ZERO to do with it. Come prepared, there is kit for this weather.

That is crap! Why don't they use 4 wheelers to get to the injured riders? No excuses!!

I noticed that lots of people who does W2W, or Epic or J2C, have lots of money and they moan too much!

Just do it! They could have more check-ups points and make sure the riders are okay or not!

It's easy to say that,but would you cross a flooding river on a quad.

Do you have any idea as to what the cost is for a rescue if any of the riders fell and got serious injuries or got swept away by a river?How would the organizers explain that to the loved ones?

Ask Azonic how fast things can get out of hand in bad weather he had a thread earlier in the year.

Edited by gummibear

Having done the Adventure, I can understand them cancelling day 3. A lot of the terrain is in riverbeds and many (most) riders will fall off some of the bridges and seriously hurt themselves. To let the race continue would be imprudent.

Also keep in mind, very little of the race takes place on accessable gravel roads. You can't ride a 4 wheeler on single track and medics will struggle to get to injured riders in good weather, even worse in bad. Don't judge the organisers' decision if you don't know the route and terrain. I'm sure it wasn't a decision taken lightly and only as a last resort.

Guys this race is organised by professionals not a bunch of palookas. If they pulled the plug they did it after due consideration and with good reason. I asked a mate of mine who was riding what the deal was and quote him below:

"Dude, dis was hectic. Alles het verspoel en die single tracks was deurmekaar.

So dit was ‘n redelike positiewe besluit om die kanseleer, want dit sou te gevaarlik gewees het. Die emergency services het basies die plug getrek, want hulle sou nie orals met hulle vehicles kon inkom nie. Ek dink ook ons sou al die trails op gemors het……"

Anyway I'd hate to think what yesterdays downpours would have done to the lowlying areas like Botrivier which is wet even in dry season. That all said I'm glad I wasn't meant to be riding, getting a 3 dayer cut short would make me sad on all fronts.

Initially I was really p***ed with the decision as we were hoping to have a good day and get into the top 10. Today, I feel like we haven't really completed the race :( As somebody has already said, it's not about the guys in front, the back markers are the ones that suffer and could have got into serious trouble. I would think that the rain wouldn't have been the big problem, the risk of hypothermia would have been the big risk.

A big call to make but I reckon they made the right one even though we'll never live it down as mtbers!

On the plus side, the trails would have been properly trashed if 1000 riders had ridden them in that weather-much better for us all that they are still there and rideable for the future.

Well said iRide!!!

I think the longer we sat in the tent waiting to hear what was going to happen, to more we knew what was coming, and the cheers and applause when they did make the decission was enough proof that they made the right call.

It would however have been nice to pull into Onrus and getting that feeling of accomplishment.

I wasn't there yesterday, but I know the area. Pulling the plug probably was the best idea ito rider safety. But I also know you can go from Grabouw to Hermanus on gravel roads (albeit with farmers permission.)

Ideally in future there would be a backup route in case of events like this. Eg: All on farm roads and more accessible ico emergency. Something like the 100miler route.

But I also think the Hermanus speedcops didn't want to marshal the traffic in Hermanus, so they said no.