Am I ready for a Powermeter

Oltremo

Hi,

I have been cycling consistently for close on 2 years now. Over the last year I have used a well structured training plan, averaged 10-12 hr per week (excl every third rest week +-8hr). Over the 2 years I have progresed to PPA Group G, and aim for a sub 3 Argus 2012. Further ambitions are to qualify for league etc. I am in the 40-44 age group. All in all, moving along steadily in a structured (road sport cycling) manner.

Now I am pondering whether the time is right for me to acquire a power meter (training till now has been hr based - logged sessions on TP etc)

I know that training with a Power meter will yield results, as will training without a power meter. But can I expect substantially better results with one?

Would like to hear what persons training with power meters have to say?

Do any of you regret the cost incurred?

Had a power meter for a year and would never look back!

But you still need the mental to stay focused and a good coach to help you understand how to use it effectivley.

go for it!! You won't regret the purchase, we spend all this money on extra bikes, wheels, lighter group sets...but not on our own development!

I am a total bike slut,probably owned well over 80 bikes of all brands and to date.A powermeter is the best money i have ever spent.If you are married and have kids like me and you are pressed for time it's the only way to go.I now ride less and am stronger than before.I ride league(vets,middle of the bunch finnisher)and train between 6-8 hrs week.Powermeter with windtrainer is all you need.Just be prepared for some pain.Quarq with garmin 500 is what i would recomend

Edited by stringbean

I am a total bike slut,probably owned well over 80 bikes of all brands and to date.A powermeter is the best money i have ever spent.If you are married and have kids like me and you are pressed for time it's the only way to go.I now ride less and am stronger than before.I ride league(vets,middle of the bunch finnisher)and train between 6-8 hrs week.Powermeter with windtrainer is all you need.Just be prepared for some pain.Quarq with garmin 500 is what i would recomend

Whats the pricing like on that?

I have 2 kids (2 & 4) and two businesses to run. I purchased my powermeter when i had time restraints and have never looked back. I train about 6 - 8 (max)hours a week and can race in the vets bunch with this amount of training. My sessions are also only an hour long and the only ride that is longer is the Sunday ride with my mates.

That buycycle quarq price is only for the 177.5mm cranks in GXP. if you want anything else it's normal retail R17999 or whatever

If you want the best price in SA PM me and for Garmin too.

you are always ready for a power meter, although I've not won any league races I have improved dramatically. A few weeks ago my batteries died in my hub I initially thought the thing had packed up, so i trained without power readings, to give you an idea of how much i missed it, next time you're out training, blindfold yourself while cycling, yep that is how much my powertap means to me these days. Every cent worth & absolutely no regrets.

Its interesting to read the comments on PM's and how you guys recon it changes your riding, I know they're good to have but didn't realise they played such a big role, I was always put off by the hefty price tag but it seems it could be worthwhile.

How do you incorporate it into your training programs? or more specifically, how are you using the data to make your riding better? Maybe you could list a few examples of your training programs for say a week period?

Can never understand why people will first pay 10-15K for a set of racing wheels but never consider a PM first.

Umm...

Killer wheels look so much nicer than a powermeter!

Duh!

Better wheels 'make you go faster' with no extra effort.

If you buy a powermeter, you actually have to do some real training...

Its interesting to read the comments on PM's and how you guys recon it changes your riding, I know they're good to have but didn't realise they played such a big role, I was always put off by the hefty price tag but it seems it could be worthwhile.

How do you incorporate it into your training programs? or more specifically, how are you using the data to make your riding better? Maybe you could list a few examples of your training programs for say a week period?

Hi, I think a quality answer to your question is to big to fit here. Log on to Training Peaks and check out their articles, or Joe Friels blog also very informative.

Umm...

Killer wheels look so much nicer than a powermeter!

Duh!

Better wheels 'make you go faster' with no extra effort.

If you buy a powermeter, you actually have to do some real training...

Now that I've been using my PM for a couple of years already, I think it's time for , actually I cant wait for those killer looking wheels, imagine what a machine I'll be at races, LOL!