Kulula and their new rules...

Andymann

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Am I right in interpreting the new rules as saying that if you travel with a 20kg suitcase and a 20kg bike case, then it will cost me an extra R300 for the case (R200 if I pre-book)?

If so, it's better than the old policy where I'd have had to pay R25/kg at the aiport (R500 for the bike) or around R50/3kg pre-booked (R350 for 21kg extra). By my rough calculation, the new policy is cheaper than the old whenever my suitcase is over 12kg.

Kulula are useless bottom line.

I use them because flying is a commodity and I get the best prices with them ONLY because of Discovery.

They are ALWAYS ALWAYS late and the planes are old and siff. I will always use SAA when travelling with a bike. Also SAA is never late and always on time.

Really not a kulula fan.

Regarding SAA, this is probably true most of the time, but NOT ALL of the time. My last couple of flights with SAA didn't go too well.

Once I was in Germany, SAA went on strike and my flight back to SA was delayed by 2 days. I was one of the lucky ones waiting only 2 days.

The other time (JHB-CPT) SAA changed the boarding gate without notification so that half the people went to the wrong boarding gate. It took them 2 hours to sort out the mess. I actually paid extra money to have an earlier Sunday afternoon flight. So much for that :D

What I would like to see is Airlines weighing passengers with their luggage. Its not fair if I weigh 90kg and I travel with a 18kg bike box and 6 kg luggage to pay extra, when the fat McDonalds lover next to me weighs 130kg and has 11kg of luggage with him. That fat freak should pay for 2 seats.

SAA once kicked me off a flight due to overbooking and charged me a cancellation fee for the priviledge (Full story). As a result, I will never willingly fly SAA, SA Express or Mango. This pretty much leaves me Kulula/BA for the routes I want to travel.

The Kulula flights have always been late on the dedicated routes (like CT-JHB), but they're pretty good on the routes where it's actually a BA flight (PE-JHB). I've found their customer service to be good though and I'll take late over kicked off and not refunded any day.

They managed to temporarily lose my front wheel going down to the Argus, but tracked it down and delivered it to my hotel that evening.

What I would like to see is Airlines weighing passengers with their luggage. Its not fair if I weigh 90kg and I travel with a 18kg bike box and 6 kg luggage to pay extra, when the fat McDonalds lover next to me weighs 130kg and has 11kg of luggage with him. That fat freak should pay for 2 seats.

Even less fair for me at 76kg! ;) But yeah I agree fully.

I weigh 60kg's. Can I fly for free?

No! Unless you are 4 foot tall (edit: or female!) you are underweight and should not risk flying for health reasons! ;)

Edited by Clint_ZA

I weigh 60kg's. Can I fly for free?

I'm sure any Airline will make an exception for an Oompa Loompa :o

I like most of you here got my knickers in a knot a couple of times at check-in, until I read the rules. The principal of their total baggage weight rule has been in place for a number of years,(they just haven't enforced it consistently) if you pack properly it's very easy to get your bike and kit within the weight limit. Don't be a tipical South African and show you ingnorance - read the rules.

No I don't work for them, I'm embarrassed for you standing there going all red in the face and shouting when you're so obviously wrong.

i prefer not to fly saa because they are swindling my hard earned tax money. So while kulula planes are old and siff and they are sometimes late and sometimes land in trecherous conditions, I will still use them because they are not getting hand outs from the government tax-payer. In the end it is a private company trying to make a go against an anti-competitive situation.

Disclaimer - Hardly ever fly with my bike so cant comment o the costs associated between saa and kulula

I had this argument with KLM last week when I was charged U$100 extra for a heavy bag and some obese tugboat quite easily twice my weight checks in next to me and pays nothing. It's bullsh!t!! They sweat more and fart more and generally make flying even more unpleasant than it already is. Fat people should have to go by boat and if it sinks then too bad.

From what I see most of you do not fly regularly....

None of the carriers are any better or worse than the other. It is a friggin bus service, that is all. Sometimes it is late, on time, cancelled or whatever.

there are clear rules and tarries, and once I started flying the cheap lines, no matter which, you realize that you "Pay" for cheap. It is a bus and is fast. So inf you want to take a lot, pay a a lot. It freaked me out a while ago, I paid more for 20kg extra than I paid for my flight AND 20kg luggage.

But if you do the math and see what amount of your flight fare is actually going to the airline you will be thinking how can this be so cheap.

I used to be a frequent flier and now I am a frequent driver, as I often have to carry a lot of kit to JHB and beyond. So I do the math, but I always leave out my time and the AA rates per KM out of the equation as the books will never balance then.

So suck it up and deal with it!!

Oh by the way did you know that 1Time is now basically a Quasi State/ANS airline............... Use it don't use it. I think I will be using them to Polokwane anyway as they seem to be the cheapest notwithstanding anything.

Oh by the way did you know that 1Time is now basically a Quasi State/ANS airline

Weren't they always part of SAA anyway, which would have made them what you say from the start?