[Event] MTN National XCM #8 Ride Crater Cruise 106km - Driven By Nissan

Ride Magazine

Thanks guys. Think i'll give it a go. Not looking forward to the bumpiness though. Even on my 29er DS :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks guys. Think i'll give it a go. Not looking forward to the bumpiness though. Even on my 29er DS :)

They do grade that road every year so maybe it'll be done before the race. I train there on a regular basis so I'll give some updated feedback on the road conditions soon.

One is only for Elites

saw this on advendurance web site.

Alternative/cut-off route for 106km marathon riders: 1hour 30minutes after the first rider starts the steep rocky climb on the rhino farm (15kms before the half-way mark), riders will be forced to ride the easier, more scenic but longer alternative route. All riders arriving within the 1hour30 minute time will be forced to cross the mountain

In again - going to k*k on my hardtail if the last 15kms (always into the wind) doesn't get graded...

Hmmm, weekend after 3 towers - to do or not to do. 29er Hardtail vs 26er hardtail last year...... should make a difference?!?!

I think they haven't really explained this too well:

"Distance: 106km

• Ultra-marathon for Elite & U/23 men
  • Standard marathon for Elite & U/23 Women and Amateur Men & Women 19 years and older

"

Does the same 106km distance somehow become a standard marathon when you're older, or is there a difference in distance? It's going to feel pretty ultra even if it's flatter, I'm thinking.

For SS, what gear ratio should one run? On 29'er. 32 x16 or even more aggresive?

I ran with a 34/14 last year.

Not good :thumbdown:

Hmmm, weekend after 3 towers - to do or not to do. 29er Hardtail vs 26er hardtail last year...... should make a difference?!?!

On those long, flat, bumpy district roads the 29er HT will make a big difference

• Standard marathon for Elite & U/23 Women and Amateur Men & Women 19 years and older

"

Does the same 106km distance somehow become a standard marathon when you're older, or is there a difference in distance? It's going to feel pretty ultra even if it's flatter, I'm thinking.

Please explain .My question too?

"

Distance is the same but standard excludes tough climb in the game reserve which is for Ultra only.

Anyone managed to cycle the entire length of the steep climb in the reserve? I know it's do-able but each year I try but I run out of legs/lungs before the top.

On those long, flat, bumpy district roads the 29er HT will make a big difference

It didn't for me last year, going with my trusty 'little' full suspension this year!

It didn't for me last year, going with my trusty 'little' full suspension this year!

Yeah, even wife big wiele it's rof.

In again - going to k*k on my hardtail if the last 15kms (always into the wind) doesn't get graded...

last 15km is over farmland, rough n bumpy.