bike damaged due to potholes

moby3

hi, i recently managed to mess up my back wheel on my bike pretty badly. Trying to sit behind a sugar cane truck and not being able to see the road surface ahead of you turned out to be a k-k idea. I hit a pothole and bent the back rim beyond repair.

My question is: I got a number for the provincial roads dept. and im thinking of trying to get compensated for the damages. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of claim? Am i wasting my time?

Buy new rim, have wheel rebuilt, write it off as the price of a lesson, move on. ( In other words, rather keep your sanity! )

hi, i recently managed to mess up my back wheel on my bike pretty badly. Trying to sit behind a sugar cane truck and not being able to see the road surface ahead of you turned out to be a k-k idea. I hit a pothole and bent the back rim beyond repair.

My question is: I got a number for the provincial roads dept. and im thinking of trying to get compensated for the damages. Has anyone ever had any experience with this type of claim? Am i wasting my time?

You can try, but I would guess you would be "wasting your time." I hit a huge pothole in my car three years ago up near Pilgrims rest, damaged one rim beyond repair and two tyres.

Purely out of interest I laid a claim against the local municipality, I received an acknowledgement of receipt of the claim and a request for a quote to repair as well as photos of the damage, I sent the invoice, as well as a few photo's and that's been it ever since, despite my sending at least three follow up letters requesting the status of my claim, all have been totally ignored.

Basically I have now written it off as a lost cause.

Do what the rest of SA do's and claim from your insurance, its easier, quicker, less irritating and at least you have recourse, but hey, no harm in trying I guess, it doesn't cost anything and maybe you will be lucky.!

Edited by GrumpyOldGuy

Here is Jhb one of the problems on the roads and pavements is missing/stolen manhole covers. It's unbelievable. Maybe motorists don't notice, but as a cyclist commuter I do, since I often have to avoid being swallowed into the abyss by them. I believe its JRA that is supposed to look after this, anyone know what can be done legally about this?

You will tell them you were riding recklessly?

If you want the pothole fixed log a claim - normally the repair will happen within a week - that's CPT. My dad use to in the 80ies and always got paid out with a pothole repair!

After the Cosatu call for civil disobedience not to pay toll fees the future of road maintenance on our major roads is in serious jeopardy. We will have to take the responsibilty of answering to our Grandchilren why our all roads will look like this in the future.

post-24908-0-32571700-1323009410.jpg

Consider it a small price for realising how dangerous it is to slipstream a truck. The cost of that rim is pretty cheap considering what else could have happened.

Edited by Longbarn Killer

Dunno about your particular case. Here in GP, you can claim damages from the council wherein the pothole damage occurred. Not quick and easy, but it does bear fruit.

Don't waste your time... I doubt they give a rat's a--e about cyclists. I live in Cape Town, same thing here: everytime I do a training ride or race, I curse the deteriorating condition of the roads. I think it's been left too long, and now they're gonna battle to catch up with all the repairs that are needed. Rode the Burger today, and sitting in the group you just don't see what's coming... klapped a few BIG potholes today. Anyway, the bike / wheels / tyres (and me) survived at least!

Consider it a small price for realising how dangerous it is to slipstream a truck. The cost of that rim is pretty cheap considering what else could have happened.

True... :huh:

Having thought about this a little more: are you seriously wanting to get the council to pay for a new wheel/rim because your - by your own admittance - k-k idea?

What happened to accountability? If you screwed up, learn from it and move on, why must the rest of us pay for your mistake?