Sickness

udxcob

Same issue here ... little sleep + stress at work + hard training (especially start of season) = recipe for some sick leave. What i have read in health magz (and seems to work) is ensuring you drink a good recovery shake after hard rides to help curb the strain your body has just taken...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I also take Moducare which seems to help.. My doc also recommended I drink more water when i feel anything coming on. Seems to work for me. Supposedly your body can't fight infections without sufficient hydration

I use Vital Multi-vitamins which a swallow with Berocca or something, every morning. I also boil ginger, squeeze in a lemon and a coupla spoons of honey to taste and fill up my waterbottle with hot water. I usually take a full bottle about twice a week sipping on it at my desk. otherwise ginger tea in the evening.

For cold morning rides I wear 2 layers and stick a newspaper down my chest (alaa tour riders) and my nose doesnt run like a tap. That cold breezee on the chest always bummed me!

I'm a firm believer that "that health Minister" who suggested garlic and ginger as an Aids cure had a point. Maybe not a cure and I dont know what exactly she said but I think she meant that there's great value in propping up your immune system using these natural herbs.

udxcob, I dont belief in supplements. Stopped taking any and cant feel a difference. What works for me is this: more rides at less intensity, more sleep, muesli for breakfast, variety of fruit at 10am, lots of milk, good lunch. It seems that sleep and a balanced diet do the trick. I didn't have a sniff in month and am still building up strength. Recovery after races is also better/quicker.

I'm in line with Kletterer. Eat well, sleep well.

Gargle with salt and warm water when you feel something going on. Keep going 'til it hopefully goes. Salt seems to kill the bugs, and is great for sore throats. Doesn't taste great, though.

The KEY, in my view: wash your hands as often as you can - when training for an ultra event, I might do it 10 or 12 times a day. DON'T touch your eyes, nose, or mouth with your hands... I drive my wife nuts when I rub my itchy nose on my sleeve!!

Haven't had anything more serious than a slight sniffle for many years, and have done some heavy training in that time.

Good luck finding what works for you....

Guest Frail4Life

Hey Wannabe, where do you go for those?

Any good Pharmacy with a Nurse on Duty.

I get V12 and give it myself when i need.

Interesting discussion guys, I would like to add some value to this ;-).

I basically tell my clients, if you don't eat properly then your body does not deserve supplements meaning vitamins and minerals etc, because that's what they actually are, supplements to a healthy diet and not a replacement. So if your nutrition is clean, varied and healthy, supplements are surely welcome in my view.

Now as to what supplements a person needs, I need to say this that every single person is unique and an individual, what one person needs another does not. If someone has an iron deficiency, and another a vitamin d deficiency, and maybe another has elevated liver, it would require different nutrition and different supplements. So as a first each person is unique and require unique nutrients.

Looking at the supplements on the market, they vary quite considerably and in the end a lot of it boils down to how good is the quality of the actual product is, the extraction process of actual mineral, vitamin or omega is really key and the source of the product they extract from is also quite important. If its a plant extract is that plant organic or is it totally pesticided, if its a salmon extract for Omega's is there a light or boiling process which destroys the nutrients, and so on, lots to consider. The top 3 trusted brands I have to say are Solal, Solgar and Veridian. I will put Veridan right at the top of the 3 though, next Solgar then Solal. The reason Solgar owners actually sold it out to a pharmaceutical company and established Veridian, every single ingredient in Veridian is organic, and the extraction processes are phenomenal, and totally documented as well as verified. I need to say though, its expensive. Solgar and Solal are both excellent, but I find that some of their products have differentiation in ingredient RDA. So my views are personal but conducted over 8 yrs of usage and research of what exactly goes in, the hows and whys, I can say this.

Multivitamins - Veridian Sports Multi is the top of the Food Chain, get your hands on this rare baby and you will see exactly what I mean, its a powerhouse for athletes. Only available in health shops and usually by order.

Second Solal on the Multivit side, they provide a very strong RDA ensuring not just immune deficiency RDA's, the argument though could be but if its not needed the body will get rid of it. I agree but once in a while to cycle this is not bad at all.

Solgar also has 2 very good multi vits, but Omnium is the better of the two for an athlete, and excellent.

Vitamin C

Its been interesting seeing the Solal mention, I agree the buffered double Vit C is good, BUT, its not for everyone, the buffered can cause stomach discomfort and irritation, and this does happen in a fair amount of people, so if you do use it, be wary of this.

The Vitamin C I find to be at the top of my list is the Solgar 1000 esterified, its the strongest Vitamin C on the market and so easy on the digestive system. Not doubt this product works extremely well and I recommend it highly with a recovery shake after hard workout to keep your immunity up in the lowered period after exercise.

Local Vitamin C's like Berocca and Cal-C vita are just a waste you cannot absorb that amount they are not processed for maximum absorption and it will mainly go to waste.

Next Zinc, have some flu a sore throat, here I have done some research and the one Zinc product I find the best is Foodstate, again expensive, but nice strong dose, and quite an ethical company. Unfortunately Solal, dont make a pure Zinc, they have an anti-ageing product which has a high % of zinc, its great for the skin, but then again zinc on its own which is less expensive is as well ;-). Solgar u can get a zinc only, but not easy to find, u want to look for something that has 15mg or more.

What local multivits are good, I cannot discuss those I dont know and I dont want to knock brands that I think are terrible, but I would say StaminoGro is an excellent local multivit for an athlete at a great price, so thumbs up for them as well. Doctors highly recommend it for woman trying to fall pregnant due to its high amino acid and hormone nutrients, so good for the athlete for recovery as well.

Some other things I know because I have personal experience with, CLA, there is only one I can trust and use and that is Solal, there r three strains of CLA depending on the type used it will also have an affect on your digestive system as well, I find solal the best. I have tried several others I cannot recommend at all, one other though does not do to bad at the right price and that is Unique.

Spirulina, -> Marcus Rohrer, he is well branded and a lot of sugar coating, but in honesty the extraction the no light access to the product etc are important in preserving the nutrients, its an excellent source of protein and other benefits, good for recovery.

Glutamine - Wont touch the stuff in store, I get mine from a running coach that imports directly from Austria, nothing better, and works brilliantly, BUT something that should never be used continuously, only under certain conditions and cycled, or you risk organ issues, as glutamine comes naturally in foods.

Much more to discuss, but guys, remember get the diet right first, know why if at all you are actually taking a vitamin, dont just take one.

go for a complete Blood Test, including CBC, Liver Function, Virology, Blood Glucose, Iron, and the works, have your lifestyle analysed what are the issues you are trying to resolve, and then look at a supplement to healthy diet plan.

As for the Vitamin B injections every month, there is no need at all, too much Vit B or taking unnecessarily can lead to issues again. Every time you put something in your body it will impact you in some way, and you want to make sure its a positive way not a negative way. I would recommend a Neurobian (Vit B 1,6,12) once in while, BUT only if you are putting your body under really heavy stress and being symptomatic of illness, but to take when this is not the case is not necessary.

I guess we could all write books on this, so will end here,

late

M

Go Watcha movie called"Fat sick and nearly dead"

You will realise that with concentrating on increasing your intake of micro nutrients your general health will DRASTICALLY improve.

Buy a juicer.

Take a whole bunch of organic fruits and veg and juice it and drink the juice.

You are what you eat.

Interesting discussion guys, I would like to add some value to this ;-).

I basically tell my clients, if you don't eat properly then your body does not deserve supplements meaning vitamins and minerals etc, because that's what they actually are, supplements to a healthy diet and not a replacement. So if your nutrition is clean, varied and healthy, supplements are surely welcome in my view.

Now as to what supplements a person needs, I need to say this that every single person is unique and an individual, what one person needs another does not. If someone has an iron deficiency, and another a vitamin d deficiency, and maybe another has elevated liver, it would require different nutrition and different supplements. So as a first each person is unique and require unique nutrients.

Looking at the supplements on the market, they vary quite considerably and in the end a lot of it boils down to how good is the quality of the actual product is, the extraction process of actual mineral, vitamin or omega is really key and the source of the product they extract from is also quite important. If its a plant extract is that plant organic or is it totally pesticided, if its a salmon extract for Omega's is there a light or boiling process which destroys the nutrients, and so on, lots to consider. The top 3 trusted brands I have to say are Solal, Solgar and Veridian. I will put Veridan right at the top of the 3 though, next Solgar then Solal. The reason Solgar owners actually sold it out to a pharmaceutical company and established Veridian, every single ingredient in Veridian is organic, and the extraction processes are phenomenal, and totally documented as well as verified. I need to say though, its expensive. Solgar and Solal are both excellent, but I find that some of their products have differentiation in ingredient RDA. So my views are personal but conducted over 8 yrs of usage and research of what exactly goes in, the hows and whys, I can say this.

Multivitamins - Veridian Sports Multi is the top of the Food Chain, get your hands on this rare baby and you will see exactly what I mean, its a powerhouse for athletes. Only available in health shops and usually by order.

Second Solal on the Multivit side, they provide a very strong RDA ensuring not just immune deficiency RDA's, the argument though could be but if its not needed the body will get rid of it. I agree but once in a while to cycle this is not bad at all.

Solgar also has 2 very good multi vits, but Omnium is the better of the two for an athlete, and excellent.

Vitamin C

Its been interesting seeing the Solal mention, I agree the buffered double Vit C is good, BUT, its not for everyone, the buffered can cause stomach discomfort and irritation, and this does happen in a fair amount of people, so if you do use it, be wary of this.

The Vitamin C I find to be at the top of my list is the Solgar 1000 esterified, its the strongest Vitamin C on the market and so easy on the digestive system. Not doubt this product works extremely well and I recommend it highly with a recovery shake after hard workout to keep your immunity up in the lowered period after exercise.

Local Vitamin C's like Berocca and Cal-C vita are just a waste you cannot absorb that amount they are not processed for maximum absorption and it will mainly go to waste.

Next Zinc, have some flu a sore throat, here I have done some research and the one Zinc product I find the best is Foodstate, again expensive, but nice strong dose, and quite an ethical company. Unfortunately Solal, dont make a pure Zinc, they have an anti-ageing product which has a high % of zinc, its great for the skin, but then again zinc on its own which is less expensive is as well ;-). Solgar u can get a zinc only, but not easy to find, u want to look for something that has 15mg or more.

What local multivits are good, I cannot discuss those I dont know and I dont want to knock brands that I think are terrible, but I would say StaminoGro is an excellent local multivit for an athlete at a great price, so thumbs up for them as well. Doctors highly recommend it for woman trying to fall pregnant due to its high amino acid and hormone nutrients, so good for the athlete for recovery as well.

Some other things I know because I have personal experience with, CLA, there is only one I can trust and use and that is Solal, there r three strains of CLA depending on the type used it will also have an affect on your digestive system as well, I find solal the best. I have tried several others I cannot recommend at all, one other though does not do to bad at the right price and that is Unique.

Spirulina, -> Marcus Rohrer, he is well branded and a lot of sugar coating, but in honesty the extraction the no light access to the product etc are important in preserving the nutrients, its an excellent source of protein and other benefits, good for recovery.

Glutamine - Wont touch the stuff in store, I get mine from a running coach that imports directly from Austria, nothing better, and works brilliantly, BUT something that should never be used continuously, only under certain conditions and cycled, or you risk organ issues, as glutamine comes naturally in foods.

Much more to discuss, but guys, remember get the diet right first, know why if at all you are actually taking a vitamin, dont just take one.

go for a complete Blood Test, including CBC, Liver Function, Virology, Blood Glucose, Iron, and the works, have your lifestyle analysed what are the issues you are trying to resolve, and then look at a supplement to healthy diet plan.

As for the Vitamin B injections every month, there is no need at all, too much Vit B or taking unnecessarily can lead to issues again. Every time you put something in your body it will impact you in some way, and you want to make sure its a positive way not a negative way. I would recommend a Neurobian (Vit B 1,6,12) once in while, BUT only if you are putting your body under really heavy stress and being symptomatic of illness, but to take when this is not the case is not necessary.

I guess we could all write books on this, so will end here,

late

M

EXCELLENT point

Edited by Wayne_Potgieter2

Vit B 12 injections, at least once a month.

Hiya

I second this.

But sleep as well. Most crucial. And there after try and eat correctly, and look at multi vitamins (dont think the food of today is as nutritious as they once were).

And then lastly recovery.

HTH

Brent

Hiya

I second this.

But sleep as well. Most crucial. And there after try and eat correctly, and look at multi vitamins (dont think the food of today is as nutritious as they once were).

And then lastly recovery.

HTH

Brent

Very important thing, I have been harboring an auto-immune virus for 13 years, EBV (Epstein Barr) most adults actually have it, but some unlucky few like myself are susceptible to re-occurring attacks, the key factors to keeping my immune system strong is

1. NUTRITION

2. SLEEP

I need to say sleep is so so important you have no idea, its the time of day your body truly recovers and heals. I have had one attack in the last 12 years, i can tell u now, my fitness was at its peak my nutrition was perfect, BUT, work stress and lack of sleep killed me, dont underestimate it, I totally agree with the above.

Such as?

Sorry, only saw the question now, but there is very well informed answers on which I can not improve. But I think you get the message. You cannot keep asking from your body, you have to look after it and give back too.

It is like a car engine. It needs fuel (good food and nutrients), rest and care and it won't give you problems. :)

Edited by Mads