MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I think it would depend on what you want in a front tyre. The Ardent is definitely the more aggressive of the 2 and I would look at the 2.4 if I was you. Run at lower pressures it doesn't seem to be as sketchy as the 2.25 when leant down in the turns.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

See that's what I think I should try. Have the ikon 2.35 rear and I'm amped with it, rolls well and higher volume than previous rear. Can't decide if I should run Ardent or Ardent Race up front... will be used for xc stuff

I'm going for the Ardent Race up front. It will also be 120TPI and 3C speed compound just like your rear!

I think it would depend on what you want in a front tyre. The Ardent is definitely the more aggressive of the 2 and I would look at the 2.4 if I was you. Run at lower pressures it doesn't seem to be as sketchy as the 2.25 when leant down in the turns.

Saving up for some stans arch mk3 wheels, running 19mm internal atm not sure 2.4 would be great. 

I'm going for the Ardent Race up front. It will also be 120TPI and 3C speed compound just like your rear!

Checked out lots of forums with guys running the ardent race front and rear too, seems good depending on what you use it for. Cheers for the reply, going to order the Ardent race 2.35 and use it with the 2.35 Ikon in the rear for XC 60/70km races. Not that I race just fitness and fun riding those with less rolling resistance. 

Sorted thanks guys, 

Ardent Race F Ikon 2.35 R - XC

Aggressor F, Ikon/ardent Race - Long Cross xc days out 

DHF F Aggressor R - Fun DH type missions (probably keep these on most of the time unless i'm doing really long rides or XC stuff.) 

Saving up for some stans arch mk3 wheels, running 19mm internal atm not sure 2.4 would be great. 

Ardent Race max is 2.35 only Ardent is 2.4. You won't get the full benefit but it will still be better. My rims are 19mm internal as well.

WHY 3C speed?!

It's a front tyre. You don't want the harder compound for the front...

WHY 3C speed?!

It's a front tyre. You don't want the harder compound for the front...

Dual Compound – 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs.

3C Maxx Speed -  72a/60a/62a - These feature 72a rubber at the base of the knobs with 60a on the side knobs and 62a on the centre tread. This offers the lowest rolling resistance for cross country bikes.

Okay yeah I just checked this, makes sense! Wouldn't the suppleness of it being 120TPI mean that it will conform over terrain at lower pressures and grip better even though the compound is slightly harder?

Dual Compound – 51a/60a - A 51a rubber compound on the side knobs with a 60a rubber on the centre knobs.

3C Maxx Speed -  72a/60a/62a - These feature 72a rubber at the base of the knobs with 60a on the side knobs and 62a on the centre tread. This offers the lowest rolling resistance for cross country bikes.

Okay yeah I just checked this, makes sense! Wouldn't the suppleness of it being 120TPI mean that it will conform over terrain at lower pressures and grip better even though the compound is slightly harder?

No. If the compound were the same, yeah maybe. But the suppleness of the casing may also lead to having to run higher pressures due to less sidewall support. 

Edited by Myles Mayhew

No. If the compound were the same, yeah maybe. But the suppleness of the casing may also lead to having to run higher pressures due to less sidewall support. 

Okay so no to Ardent race as a front as it only comes in 3C Speed even though it would be cool if all the little logos on the front and rear tyres match  :ph34r:

My info might also be wrong ("Please note that Maxxis no longer discloses our durometers as this is considered proprietary information.")

Okay very interesting though thank you! Guess I will just have another excuse to buy more tyres  :clap:

"Research"

Yup only seems to come in 3C/EXO/TR...

The Ardent 2.4 also shows 3C/EXO/TR on the local agents site but I am sure I have seen a few EXO/TR's floating around.

As you are not far from Kempton Park Dieter give Finish Line Cycles a call. They have a basket full of Ardents and I am sure it was in there that I saw an EXO/TR or two....that is if you are still looking at an Ardent  :P.

I am using the 2.4 with the standard trim 19mm ID rims and it is fine...probably would perform better with a slightly wider rim but it works ok for now and I only run it between 1.4 - 1.8bar lately.

Edited by Mr lee

Yup only seems to come in 3C/EXO/TR...

The Ardent 2.4 also shows 3C/EXO/TR on the local agents site but I am sure I have seen a few EXO/TR's floating around.

As you are not far from Kempton Park Dieter give Finish Line Cycles a call. They have a basket full of Ardents and I am sure it was in there that I saw an EXO/TR or two....that is if you are still looking at an Ardent  :P.

I am using the 2.4 with the standard trim 19mm ID rims and it is fine...probably would perform better with a slightly wider rim but it works ok for now and I only run it between 1.4 - 1.8bar lately.

I'm getting Ardent (race perhaps)/ Ikons put on my bike today from Ridgeway Cycles  :D

just in time for Monster

maybe i will try the Ardent front for XC stuff then in a 2.4 none 3c compound. Only 70 grams heavier not sure how to rolls and corners compared to the ardent race apparently more sketchy? Just from the forum reading not sure if thats true at all... 

do yourself a favour and go for the Flows. That extra width makes all the difference. 

Awesome I will do so, thanks for the advice! I'm around 81kg full riding gear so just thought arch mk3 for weight wise would be ok but extra internal width makes more sense. 

Mr Lee

What about the brand new Maxxis Forekaster 29x2.35 boet?

Overseas reviews are great for wet and even dry trails even though Maxxis website says it is for mud.

Also they are specced new on Scott bikes and it could be now that bike shops are starting to stock them too. Could be a good tire?