MTB Tyre Choices

patches

You're probably cornering faster than you used to...

Seriously, though. The GC has oodles more grip than the crossfart.

I know it has more grip. Just weird thay it slides like that. What would the next best tire be

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any recommendation on a 29" MTB tyre that will be used on my weekly training bike which does long miles 80% on the road with the 20% on not much more than well manicured hardpack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxxis Crossmark rear and Ardent front. CWC have specials for both @ R370 a piece so hurry and order now  :w00t:  :w00t:  :w00t:

Hey everyone!

Riding a 2016 Giant trance (Stock 19mm internal rims) will be doing enduro events, xc (for fun) and ride Tokai trails.

What would be my best choice for XC events (60+ km rides)

I was using the Onza Ibex 2.25 front and Canis rear which worked well but felt like a change for the tougher Tokai ST.

Just moved to DHF 2.3 3C EXO Front and Ikon 2.35 Rear. DHF is the best tyre I have ever used considering I cant go 2.4 due to rims atm. It grips anything and has literally changed my riding. I like the higher volume Ikon in the rear compared to the canis and seems like a tougher tyre.

I have ordered the Maxxis Aggressor for the rear so I can use the DHF/Agg for enduro and Tokai but it's way too heavy for long XC stuff.

What should I use for XC events? If I have the Ikon 2.35 rear which Maxxis tyre could I stick up front? Aggressor just seems pretty heavy but have not ridden it yet... I can slide out that Canis pretty easily so not sure for the front and not sure the Ibex instead of the DHF would make that much difference. Any other maxxis tyres I could get for the front end?

Thanks in advance!

I can't comment on your options there, but am very happy after 4 months (guess 800kms...) of Spez Purgatory in front and Ground Control at the rear. Both 2.3, control casing and no problems yet. 90% of time riding in Jonkershoek.

The GC does weep sealant through the sidewalls, not as bad as previous Continental though. That one was a threat to cleanliness.

I can't comment on your options there, but am very happy after 4 months (guess 800kms...) of Spez Purgatory in front and Ground Control at the rear. Both 2.3, control casing and no problems yet. 90% of time riding in Jonkershoek.

The GC does weep sealant through the sidewalls, not as bad as previous Continental though. That one was a threat to cleanliness.

Will add those to my list, thanks for the reply! Canis also used to weep a bit not too bad tho.

I finally got fed up with the Continentals I had on, after having to stop a few times on a 33km ride to pump the rear. Sidewalls of sieves!

Back to Maxxis, that gave me no issues for years on my old 26er.

Ikon 29x2.2, front and rear (hopefully I don't regret that decision, as I see lots of people recommend a 2.4 Ardent up front...), and I'm already hopeful - after inflating them last night, the rear was still inflated and that is WITHOUT sealant.

Just need to figure out where the slow leak is on the front, add some sealant to both, and my tubeless setup should be how tubeless should be - trouble free.

I finally got fed up with the Continentals I had on, after having to stop a few times on a 33km ride to pump the rear. Sidewalls of sieves!

Ikon 29x2.2, front and rear (hopefully I don't regret that decision, as I see lots of people recommend a 2.4 Ardent up front...), and I'm already hopeful - after inflating them last night, the rear was still inflated and that is WITHOUT sealant.

Just need to figure out where the slow leak is on the front, add some sealant to both, and my tubeless setup should be how tubeless should be - trouble free.

Can also use the 2.25 Ardent up front but the 2.4 would be the better of the two  :D

Also using an Ikon on the rear but went with the Ardent race 2.35 on the front, loving this combo.

Will need something special to change me from this.

Just had a good look at the Ardent Race again and I think this would be a better alternative to run on the rear for me instead of the Ardent 2.25!

The center tread on the Ardent Race looks as though it would be a better roller as the transition knobs are 1 for every center knob whereas the Ardent is every second. The Race has the outer knobs more tightly spaced so not as aggressive with corner bite.

Just a pity the local agents don't bring in the 2.2 wide version as 2.35 might be pushing the clearance a little on my rear frame  :huh:

I need some advice please.

I currently have an Ardent on the Front and an Ikon at the rear, but I have noticed the Ikon is wearing rather quickly and will have to be replaced soon.  I previously had a Crossmark on the back, but don't want to go that route again - I am not a fan of Conti's or Schwalbe.  So was wondering how is the Vittoria Saguaro as a rear tyre?  By looking at the knobs it looks like it will have better rolling resistance than a Barzo for example.

I might as well buy a front tyre at the same time, so if my assumption above is correct about the Barzo rather being a front tyre, should I get a Barzo for the front or stick with Ardent/Ardent race? 

I "need" to buy some goodies from CWC so I might as well buy everything in one go.

Thank you

I currently have an Ardent on the Front and an Ikon at the rear, but I have noticed the Ikon is wearing rather quickly and will have to be replaced soon.  I previously had a Crossmark on the back, but don't want to go that route again - I am not a fan of Conti's or Schwalbe.  So was wondering how is the Vittoria Saguaro as a rear tyre?  By looking at the knobs it looks like it will have better rolling resistance than a Barzo for example.

I might as well buy a front tyre at the same time, so if my assumption above is correct about the Barzo rather being a front tyre, should I get a Barzo for the front or stick with Ardent/Ardent race? 

I "need" to buy some goodies from CWC so I might as well buy everything in one go.

Thank you

Maxxis Ikon rear and Barzo front

Thank you

Lots of guys in Gauteng run that combo. If I wasn't a Maxxis Fan that would be my choice. 

The Saguaro and Barzo have good grip levels with decent rolling resistance....but you have to try them to determine if they really work for you  ;).

I have also seen some run the Saguaro rear and Ardent front! Can't see that your Ardent would wear that quick up front. 

Edited by Mr lee

Thank you

Barzo front and rear or Barzo front and Saguaro rear. At R399 each you cant go wrong.

Lots of guys in Gauteng run that combo. If I wasn't a Maxxis Fan that would be my choice. 

The Saguaro and Barzo have good grip levels with decent rolling resistance....but you have to try them to determine if they really work for you  ;).

I have also seen some run the Saguaro rear and Ardent front! Can't see that your Ardent would wear that quick up front. 

Barzo front and rear or Barzo front and Saguaro rear. At R399 each you cant go wrong.

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

Also using an Ikon on the rear but went with the Ardent race 2.35 on the front, loving this combo."

See that's what I think I should try. Have the ikon 2.35 rear and I'm amped with it, rolls well and higher volume than previous rear. Can't decide if I should run Ardent or Ardent Race up front... will be used for xc stuff

Edited by SeanGrey