MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I'm looking to replace my Race king / mountain king combo.

I liked the race king but found the mountain king (protection not the mkII) heavy and slow (rolling resistance).

I was thinking x-king front and back, but the reviews here http://www.mtbr.com/cat/tires-and-wheels/tire/continental/x-king/prd_456335_151crx.aspx#reviews seem pretty negative.

Anybody tried the x-kings? How about the race kings front and back?

I ride single track and not very technical trails (and a bit of tar - gasp!).

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, "this is getting boring", but I noticed that the minion DHF(ront) is currently the most popular tyre on chain reaction cycles website...{cough!...} and it gets 4.29/5 on MTBR!

I would not recommend it for riding on the tar though :P maybe look at the monorail then? 4.5/5 on MTBR is not a bad score hay...

Edited by Carrot

I know, "this is getting boring", but I noticed that the minion DHF(ront) is currently the most popular tyre on chain reaction cycles website...{cough!...} and it gets 4.29/5 on MTBR!

I would not recommend it for riding on the tar though :P maybe look at the monorail then? 4.5/5 on MTBR is not a bad score hay...

MMmmm ... those Monorails look interesting.

I live a few km's from the spruit so do spend sometime on the tar. Sometimes I don't even get to the spruit and just mess about on streets and pavemants.

Have them on the Anthem X 29er I'm riding at the moment. Low rolling resistance and okay grip for what it is. Light too.

On the negative side:

1 - on loose gravel climbs they offer very little grip - spin out quick

2 - thin sidewalls roll on carcass if running too soft (needs more juice than std UST)

3 - loose air quickly

4 - useless in mud or rain

5 - got to keep cornering speeds in check

Points 2 + 3 no better or different than running std tire tubeless

But for what it is, its okay.

I would rate it better than race kings (much), on par with SB8, less grip than Bronson.

Thanks for the reply... Will have to change soon so might give them a go...

I use (29'r) Rocket Ron 2.2 for grip in front and Race King 2 on the back for better rolling and it rides better trough soft ssnd and mud. Tyre pressure in front at 1.4 bar and 1.6 bar in the back.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've noticed the Maxxis crossmark on my rear wheel is making a bubble, looks like it's only a thin layer of rubber lifting up. It's filled with stan's so it looks like the inner layer has sealed itself for now. Anyone had this before?

Any Maxxis reps here willing to give me a new tyre? =P

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys i have the standard 26 2.1 cross marx (standard tires ) wanna change them to conti or something more grippier and good for race what do you guys suggest for back and front ?

X king front and Race king rear (both 2.2). Sticks like snot in the front and rolls easy on the rear.

Don't use protection x king as the tread peels off in big patches.

X king front and Race king rear (both 2.2). Sticks like snot in the front and rolls easy on the rear.

Don't use protection x king as the tread peels off in big patches.

I am on my second set of X-king protection and not had any problems.

I am on my second set of X-king protection and not had any problems.

A lot of people have had no issues, but for me after a serious day at Van Gaalens I almost k@kked myself!

I like my collar bone and front teeth! :)

Using Renegade 29x1.95 S-Works infront and

rear Renegade 29x1.8 Control.

Going well in all conditions. Fast and good enough trac for me.

Fairly light, fast roller (low rol resist) and lbs stock them at a good price.

Edited by Andro