MTB Tyre Choices

patches

I am running 2 2.2 race kings... Not bad at all, but I want to try Schwalbe Racing Ralph TL Ready... Anyone using these?

Have them on the Anthem X 29er I'm riding at the moment. Low rolling resistance and okay grip for what it is. Light too.

On the negative side:

1 - on loose gravel climbs they offer very little grip - spin out quick

2 - thin sidewalls roll on carcass if running too soft (needs more juice than std UST)

3 - loose air quickly

4 - useless in mud or rain

5 - got to keep cornering speeds in check

Points 2 + 3 no better or different than running std tire tubeless

But for what it is, its okay.

I would rate it better than race kings (much), on par with SB8, less grip than Bronson.

Edited by The Crow

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jack,What tyres will you use if your rims is not UST ready, old rims.Can you use a UST tyre or TL ready tyres .Does it make a differense

Edited by Pieterg

Race King Protection 2.2 rear 570g

Mountain King II Protection 2.2 front 590g

lightest, toughest tires I have ever ridden

What else have you ridden? Where and what do you ride?

I ride Maxxis Lust in back

and Specialized Eskar at front, great chunky tyre :thumbup:

LUST is not a model, or rather range. It's just a version of a particular tire. Stands for Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology. Just marketing talk for a UST version of a particular range

My Tires are for a Scalpel Ultimate. I weigh 65kg's and do training on a tiny bit of tar then mostly hardpack with a light bit of dirt ontop. Not really rocky like the Vaal down here in East London area.

I used 2.2 Scwalbe Racing Ralphs front and back on a Giant Trance for about 4 months of training and then rode the Wine to Whales Adventure on them. The terrain I used them on, varied hugely and they worked well in all but sticky mud. (Initially it took some getting used to because I was used to 2.35 Kenda Nevegals front and back and those grip like mad.) Within a few rides the Ralphs felt familiar, predictable and I never had any issues with them. (I can't say the same about Kenda Smallblock 8s or Maxxis TT, both of which I've tried and found somewhat skittish.) The Ralphs are a happy medium between light, strong and grippy and they roll great.

LUST is not a model, or rather range. It's just a version of a particular tire. Stands for Lightweight Ultimate Sidewall Technology. Just marketing talk for a UST version of a particular range

What he said.....

I know, I know everybody knows what I'm talking about....

Weighed my bike today without tires or saddle and it came to 8.7kg's.... I want it under 10 complete...

What would you recommend?

PS: I have XT pedals which could be the biggest weight issue...LOL

SO not real mountain biking then...

:D

Mayhem, come do LORD OF THE CHAINRINGS hre in the EC next year and we'll see whats "not real Mountain Biking" then... :thumbup:

Rim + tire issue, not just tire.

perhaps but i am not sure, have mavic crossmax rims and never struggled with any TL tyre from maxis to hutchison to all the conti full TL, first time i could not seat a tyre with a handpump were these protection version. not a big issue just took them down to the garage and used teir pump all worked out fine.

Mayhem, come do LORD OF THE CHAINRINGS hre in the EC next year and we'll see whats "not real Mountain Biking" then... :thumbup:

ROFL. Dude, I wouldn't even get out of hobbiton. In fact, I might even die tomorrow, seeing as I'm riding 46km on my dh bike on the cape town charity ride. Riding in to town, doing the ride, then riding home.

GASP!

25kg of bike. 102kg of self. 3kg of camelbak with water and tools. 8".travel front and back, no lockout. No propedal. Maxxis minion and high roller providing the grip.

Eek!

Edited by cptmayhem

I miss the good old DH days... I miss my GT Lobo too!!!

Looking at running them Schwalbe Protection tires...whats the best combo Rockets and Ralphs?