MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Always have a spare tube, sometimes even a plug will not work!

Bombs are good to help 'seat' a tubeless tyre as this can be difficult when using just a small pump. Bombs can trash your slime though, as they are so cold!

IMHO.......again!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I always end up giving my spare tube to someone else who does not have 2bliss on a ride

I have not used a tube in 5 years.Plugs,bombs and snot is what is the order of the day

Same here - given away plenty of tubes. Don't know why I carry one with me - though I guess I do only take it along on long isolated rides. That one time, was major wipe. Burped both front and rear straight off, so it wouldn't have made much of difference, since I only had one tube... :whistling:

Geax Saguaro has a continuous center rib which lets it roll much better than Mountain/Race Kings, etc, on the road, and yet it still has good grip on the rough..........IMHO!

Best of all is that it is affordable.

Saguaro front, Mezcal back. It is reversible for "speed" and "grip". Both mine on speed. Will maybe turn the rear around for grip, will see how it goes after the first wet / muddy ride.

Merged and pinned.

I'll do the same with all the tubeless related freds later.

so when do you guys actually replace tyres? when you're bored with 'em? :w00t: been running maxxis ignitors now for almost three years still lots of tread.. though the nobby 'sipes' are gone... i probably don't ride hard/fast enough but i think they're great for cape town conditions...

the only other tyre i've used are crossmarks. sure they're fast rolling but had sketchy moments on wet roots/rocks with em. but i guess any tyre would battle in those conditions...

Mine tend to last about a year. But had some real issues with a X-king recently. The tread blocks were peeling off whole and leaving the "canvas" exposed. Lbs organised for conti to replace it.

Tyres! Aaaahhh, make me feel so peaceful to discuss them... :blush: I've got a closet full of them now, and I've been through tube/tubeless setups.

I did eventually find that Maxxis Minion DHF for the front wheel. Regrettably it wasn't tubeless but cost about R350, so I took it. It's got the "super sticky" rubber compound, which is noticably softer when you press it with your nail. And man, does this tyre rock. Not only over the rocks and downs but over flat and loose corners as well.

Likely it wont last a 100 years, but who cares, it's an expense, and it keeps the bike between me and the hard stuff. I really recommend it to anyone who's got a... unhealthy ratio between daring and skill ;-)

Ok, so I have Maxxis Minion DH 2.3s on my freeride bike. However I mostly use this bike for all mountain/trail riding as well as dirt jumping. (I'm based in JHB, so it's muddy right now)

Although the minions grip like crazy in the sketchy stuff, they have a high rolling resistance.

Continental Mountain King 2.4s were given as a suggestion.

Firstly... are these a good option for the intended use?

Secondly, buycycle is selling Mountain King 2.4s for R175 each. These are the wire beaded not folding, but I don't run tubeless anyway. So is there any advantage to the folding?

Not really. Rather go with High Rollers or WTB Bronson.

I used to be a Crossmark fan, but struggled with traction around corners...changed to TL Ready Rocket Ron / Racing Ralph combo, bike handles like a dream now and it even rolls faster! So I am happY!

so when do you guys actually replace tyres? when you're bored with 'em? :w00t: been running maxxis ignitors now for almost three years still lots of tread.. though the nobby 'sipes' are gone... i probably don't ride hard/fast enough but i think they're great for cape town conditions...

the only other tyre i've used are crossmarks. sure they're fast rolling but had sketchy moments on wet roots/rocks with em. but i guess any tyre would battle in those conditions...

rule of thumb is when sticks start to poke holes in i'm, or when the nobs are running flat in the middle, I dont DH but love the look of it on my SJ so got Kings 2.4 front ant Maxx 2.2 back. I find that the Kings 2.4 looks smaller than the originally 2.3 the SJ had on. I always wondered why.

next front will be a Maxxis Minion DHF EXO Tire 2.5

Edited by Hannes Zietsman

Hi

I've just put a set of Maxxis on my 29er with Ikon exo protection 3c in front and Crossmark lust at rear wow it has to be the most confident inspiring combination grip reduced rolling resistance cornering iv ever had replacing my Continental Race Kings.

Which size are you looking for?

Maxxis, Minion DHF, 26" x 2.5", EXO Pro 60A Compound not 3C Edited by Hannes Zietsman