MTB Tyre Choices

patches

Thanks. Will that Nobby Nick fit on a UST wheel?

Yes. If you get the Snakeskin TLR one, it'll fit perfectly and have the added protection against sidewall cuts. It's a bit more expensive than the non snakeskin version, but it's worth every penny and gram.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys, I need help.

I currently run Maxxis Monorail LUST on front and rear, but they seem to be very slippery on gravel and mud. What suggestions do you guys have. My wheels are Easton EA90s UST, 26".

I was thinking on going for Maxxis Crossmark on the rear, but what for the front?

Onza Canis. I run a canis rear (2.35? the fattish one) and an ibex front. These transformed my bike (Fourstroke 26er). The ibex is a bit slow, but grippy and not for tar. Canis is fast rolling and grippier than larsons/monorail/kenda karma/slant six/revolt super x that I previously ran. I will not buy another tire if I can find these.

Yes. If you get the Snakeskin TLR one, it'll fit perfectly and have the added protection against sidewall cuts. It's a bit more expensive than the non snakeskin version, but it's worth every penny and gram.

They snakeskin version is R299 at Solomons at the moment, 2.25 26er

Oh dear! This is what happens when I try to access Solomons Online. I selected MTB Tyres:

1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'EXPECTED_PRODUCTS_SORT limit MAX_DISPLAY_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS' at line 5

in:

[select p.products_id, pd.products_name, products_date_available as date_expected, p.master_categories_id from products p, products_description pd where p.products_id = pd.products_id and p.products_status = 1 and pd.language_id = '1' and p.products_date_available >20140314235959 order by EXPECTED_PRODUCTS_FIELD EXPECTED_PRODUCTS_SORT limit MAX_DISPLAY_UPCOMING_PRODUCTS]

Oh dear! This is what happens when I try to access Solomons Online. I selected MTB Tyres:

Check on the specials leaflet on the main page

Snakeskin TLR? If so... very very good price

Yup, got a couple last week, is on their specials leaflet on the main page

That's the problem. The content is not shown in my browser, just that SQL error. Sloppy coding. Under the "Specials for March" banner.

Edited by Moridin

Mayhem, where will I be able to get the Snakeskin ones. Those are tempting if you look at the general price of MTB tyres, but it might get cut easy on the sidewall with a sharp rock, and then it's all for nada. BTW, what is the chance of a sidewall cut on Western Cape trails?

Mayhem, where will I be able to get the Snakeskin ones. Those are tempting if you look at the general price of MTB tyres, but it might get cut easy on the sidewall with a sharp rock, and then it's all for nada. BTW, what is the chance of a sidewall cut on Western Cape trails?

Not many places! And they're darned expensive... But as for the chance - it's always there. The snakeskin protection also has the added bonus that you can run them at slightly lower pressures than the non snakeskin, thanks to the stronger sidewalls. This also then aids grip quite a bit...

As for where to get them... Capricorn will be able to tel you more than I... Afraid I haven't been looking at tires for a while, so I'm a bit out of touch wrt availability & pricing.

Ok, so I have Maxxis Minion DH 2.3s on my freeride bike. However I mostly use this bike for all mountain/trail riding as well as dirt jumping. (I'm based in JHB, so it's muddy right now)

Although the minions grip like crazy in the sketchy stuff, they have a high rolling resistance.

Continental Mountain King 2.4s were given as a suggestion.

Firstly... are these a good option for the intended use?

Secondly, buycycle is selling Mountain King 2.4s for R175 each. These are the wire beaded not folding, but I don't run tubeless anyway. So is there any advantage to the folding?

Folding tyres have kevlar bead cores which are lighter than wire bead cores so overall tyre weight is reduced. In 29ers the weight saviong would be around 70 to 90 grams per tyre. In general fold-ups will also have a higher thread count in the casing material which makes the tyres more supple and improves handling.

I phoned Solomons, the lady, Khalida, told me to send them an e-mail with my requirements. This was done one Friday. Still no answer from them. I'm not wasting my time further with these jokers.

I have decided to get a Nobby Nic Snakeskin for front and Racing Ralph Snakeskin for rear. Will try the LBS. Jeez, my poor credit card is taking a strain. Yesterday I ordered upgrades for my son's bike. Reba plus ZTR Crests with Hope hubs. Eina!

Guys, I need help.

I currently run Maxxis Monorail LUST on front and rear, but they seem to be very slippery on gravel and mud. What suggestions do you guys have. My wheels are Easton EA90s UST, 26".

I was thinking on going for Maxxis Crossmark on the rear, but what for the front?

Those LUSTs are TERRIBLE on loose gravel. I almost killed myself on table mtn last weekend. They simply DO NOT grip on the downhills, uphills or corners.

On my Jhb bike I run the following (standard with 2014 Specialized Camber):

FRONT TIRE

Specialized Ground Control, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.3", foldable aramid bead, 60TPI

REAR TIRE

Specialized Ground Control, 2Bliss Ready, 29x2.1", foldable aramid bead, 60 TPI

I have been very happy with them - no complaints at all.

One thing I've noticed is that they run and grip a LOT better with slightly LESS pressure in them.