1200km MTB training

Pieterg

Wants to do 1200km MTB traing between 24/12 and 2/1/2012=120km per day for the 2012 MTB year.What do you people think? will it help or will it not.Any advise

Wants to do 1200km MTB traing between 24/12 and 2/1/2012=120km per day for the 2012 MTB year.What do you people think? will it help or will it not.Any advise

That includes Christmas, Boxing Day, our new Public holiday on the 27th December, new Years Day and Tweede Nuwejaar! All of them days dedicated to over-eating, drinking and family feuds. ;)

And you want to ride 120km on every one of them? What are you trying to escape? Who are you trying to annoy? Are you afraid of gaining a kilo or 2? Don't you like a good hangover? ;)

Edited by DJR

All of them days dedicated to over-eating, drinking and family feuds. ;)

sounds good to me, christmas and new year are almost always a form of torture. might as well be the master of your own torture

That includes Christmas, Boxing Day, our new Public holiday on the 27th December, new Years Day and Tweede Nuwejaar! All of them days dedicated to over-eating, drinking and family feuds. ;)

And you want to ride 120km on every one of them? What are you trying to escape? Who are you trying to annoy? Are you afraid of gaining a kilo or 2? Don't you like a good hangover? ;)

+1. I'm in for the festivities.

Is that distance good for you? Must be.

But surely depends on what your objectives are?

That sounds a bit excessive to me unless you have a huge base already. They say don't increase by more than 10% a week... I recon by week two you will be blown and unmotivated. The best coaches recommend a "hard day-easy day" approach. You don't get better by riding, you get better by recovering.

Also, what are your goals? You have another thread saying barberton? Or are you training for something else?

Joe Friel author of MTB Training Bible says that training long and slow makes you really good at riding long and slow. Ie if your goals are shorter races then I think its a waste of time. You need fast sessions to improve. If your goal is epic, then ya, maybe that's a good thing.

Would it be then better to do short hard,like hill climbs,intervals,What will be then the best to prepare for a 1/2 Marathon(45-60km).

If I had unlimited time... I would do some long rides (+-4h) prob 2-3 a week, 2-3x interval sessions (Including hill climbs), 2 fun ride days (go ride good single track and have fun with friends), and one non-negotiable rest day.

Often on my rest day I do fun stuff like learning to wheelie, track stand, etc.

I think its what works for you, though. There is no doubt that lots of mileage will help in the long run. but I think its only one side of the coin.

Pardon my very sarcastic reply, but are you a PRO ?

Get on to Polar Fitness trainer, do what your body is meant to do.

Ask yourself:

1. How many km's do you normaly train per week

2. What is the most you have ever done in 1 week, and how long ago was that

If the above dont come close (+/- 25%) to your xmas / new year plan

3. Are you prepared to risk mental burnout or an injury later in the season?

But ja it's a good time to put k's into your legs, while most are putting kilo's on their tums...

• 2 weeks later...

Update

22/12-26.2km

23/12-41.1km

24/12-81.3km

25/12 Rest

26/12-63.2km

27/12-33km

28/12-127.3km

29/12-35.1km(bike was serviced broke back wheel)

30/12-150.4km

31/12-70.6km

1/1-132.2km

2/1-Rest Day-Work tomorrow

Total-719.34km

MTB kilo's

Edited by Pieterg