Road vs Mtb Helmet

Lols

Yes. To differentiate between REAL mountainbikers and Roadies disguised as such.

I WIN, I WIN.... :clap: :clap: :clap:

Close but no cigar.

Come on fellas I have a six pack of something ready to send or deliver to the deserving winner. Please be a winner from Durban and all, so I can take a day trip on the bike to the sea and back...

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't care what the real reason is, but mine helps keep the sun out of my face, preventing the dreaded sun glasses tan.

Never had any neck issues with the peak before, most of them are adjustable or open enough for line of sight. Find it useful for low branches and debris.

Each to their own.

DD I meant using a peak with a road bike, possibly looking like a bit of a tjop. Off road all my MTB lids have peaks.

TNT it's the MX heritage coming through in the form of a peak.

Edited by caad4

Nice.

Also, with a decent pair of sunglasses, you don't need the peak on a mtb helmet anyway.

I'll give a prize if ya can tell me what the peak on the mtb helmut is there for...

I know from experience that the peak is really good at keeping rain and sprayed up water/mud out of yer face.

I know from experience that the peak is really good at keeping rain and sprayed up water/mud out of Dyer face.

How do you wear your helmut? With the peak under your chin? How is the peak going to stop water\mud from hitting your face that is being sprayed up from underneath the peak? Please post a photo?

Road helmuts look way cooler and there is probably a reason why the top end helmuts doesn't have peaks, like Giro, neither the Aeon, Ionus, Atmos or Prolight comes with a peak ... cause you end up looking like a prick!

My peak stays on my helmet on the road bike or the MTB. Helps keep the sun out of my eyes. I ride bikes, not make fashion statements.

How do you wear your helmut? With the peak under your chin? How is the peak going to stop water\mud from hitting your face that is being sprayed up from underneath the peak? Please post a photo?

Road helmuts look way cooler and there is probably a reason why the top end helmuts doesn't have peaks, like Giro, neither the Aeon, Ionus, Atmos or Prolight comes with a peak ... cause you end up looking like a prick!

You mean in your opinion, some folk still look like a "prick" with or without a peak, or a helmet for that matter ;)

Just to correct you though, Giro, Bell, Kask etc all make top end helmets with a peak. Serves a function for some riding and riders.

Not that this needs to be a huge bone of contention though, I mean it's just a bloody peak. Theres more important matters, like keeping the beer cold for a post ride swig. Ooh, hope no one from that 'other thread' starts in now.

hahahaha :lol: was wondering the same thing. ;) Glad your sense of humor wasnt hijacked too :P

but ya, it's just a peak. jeepers.Also, the peaks are very short, so shielding against solar glare is very limited. Makes me wonder what the peak's really for. :unsure:

Close but no cigar.

Come on fellas I have a six pack of something ready to send or deliver to the deserving winner. Please be a winner from Durban and all, so I can take a day trip on the bike to the sea and back...

To reduce the effect of rippling sunlight through trees while riding single track so you can concentrate better. It also helps to deflect foilage and low hanging branches. Another explanation is that it mimics the peak of a cycling cap that is common amongst road cyclists.

Close but no cigar.

Ok after googling.....

the peaks on mtb helmets are great for keeping branches and twigs out of eyes. The peaks are also a life saver if you have the misfortune of having what’s called a ‘face plant’. In this case the helmet can mean the difference between loosing teeth and just chipping a tooth.

Peak is there to generate more helmet sales. They are hoping that everybody buys one of each.

Can't remember seeing a lot of mtb pros with peak helmets.

Just to correct you though, Giro, Bell, Kask etc all make top end helmets with a peak. Serves a function for some riding and riders.

Not that this needs to be a huge bone of contention though, I mean it's just a bloody peak. Theres more important matters, like keeping the beer cold...

Just to pick a bone ;)

None of the top Giro helmets I mentioned comes with a peak, not the Aeon, nor Ionus, nor Atmos or Prolight ... That is Giro's top end ... no peaks.

Some of the other brands might do a top end peak.

Now where is that beer?

You mean in your opinion, some folk still look like a "prick" with or without a peak, or a helmet for that matter ;)

Not that this needs to be a huge bone of contention though, I mean it's just a bloody peak. Theres more important matters, like keeping the beer cold for a post ride swig. Ooh, hope no one from that 'other thread' starts in now.

Best answer, give this man a bells. :thumbup: