Road vs Mtb Helmet

Lols

I am a Mtb'er and was given a Giro Savant, which a road bike helmet.

Is it important to get a Mtb dedicated helmet or would the Savant suffice in this case?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Savant will be fine.

Quite a few people ride with "Road" helmets. MTB specific helmets normally have a peak and/or more coverage on the back of the head for impacts.

Other than that though, the difference is negligible for the most most part.

Merry riding.

Riding a road bike with an MTB specific helmet (with a peak) could cause a stiff neck as your riding position is quite forward and down. You might find yourself stretching to look up with the peak above your eyes. Almost everyone I know who has removed their peak for road bike riding has less neck pain. My 5cw..

Riding a road bike with an MTB specific helmet (with a peak) could cause a stiff neck as your riding position is quite forward and down. You might find yourself stretching to look up with the peak above your eyes. Almost everyone I know who has removed their peak for road bike riding has less neck pain. My 5cw..

Of course the OP was asking the exact opposite...

I am a Mtb'er and was given a Giro Savant, which a road bike helmet.

Is it important to get a Mtb dedicated helmet or would the Savant suffice in this case?

Normal XC type riding, fine. Anything more than that I suggest look at getting a helmet specific to the type of riding (AM, DH etc.)

Yes I know. I am feeling charitable with my free advice as it's xmas tomorrow...

My experience also.

The first bit of Christmas spirit I've seen all day :clap:

Quite a few of the newer lids are dual purpose. Take the Cratoni (german) lids. Same lid for both Road and MTB, but the package includes a peak for MTB. I have a Cratoni C-Bolt.

SO as DD said, very little difference. Either way, if u fall face first, you'll mess up your christmas face. Happy holidays!

Yes I know. I am feeling charitable with my free advice as it's xmas tomorrow...

Nice.

Also, with a decent pair of sunglasses, you don't need the peak on a mtb helmet anyway.

I'll give a prize if ya can tell me what the peak on the mtb helmut is there for...

Yes for those who don't know what those two little black "plugs" are, they are to "plug" the holes in your helmet, once you have removed the peak. Free with every Bell Sweep or Volt.

Nice.

Also, with a decent pair of sunglasses, you don't need the peak on a mtb helmet anyway.

I'll give a prize if ya can tell me what the peak on the mtb helmut is there for...

It is actually there as a shield to keep debris kicked up from a ground from the face?

What did I win? :D

It is actually there as a shield to keep debris kicked up from a ground from the face?

What did I win? :D

You're wrong, so nothing.

Never had any neck issues with the peak before, most of them are adjustable or open enough for line of sight. Find it useful for low branches and debris.

Each to their own.

Nice.

Yes. To differentiate between REAL mountainbikers and Roadies disguised as such.

I WIN, I WIN.... :clap: :clap: :clap: